Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
I'am sorry to ask, but I can not reproduce the issue on my K-70. Using the Liveview with my K-70 and a M-Lens gives me a liveview according to the ambient light. Is this an issue of the Laowa/IRIX lenses?
The problem is the exposure emulation where the live view brightness reflects the set EV and/or exposure compensation. If intentionally setting the camera to underexpose (say f/13 at 1/160s in room light), the live view screen will dim to something similar to what you would get. This only happens when a lens is mounted where the body is controlling the aperture. With other lenses, the screen stays bright.

This behavior is a recurring source of frustration for people using flash with macro when using lenses without aperture rings and is one reason why the D FA 100/2.8 WR Macro may not be a good choice for some users.

Steve

02-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Still is a bit sad Ricoh didn't solve this simple issue as the link thread is 5 years old now - one extra check box in menu is still needed.
You are correct that this behavior is something that is probably easily addressed with a firmware update and you are welcome to bring the matter to their attention. It is a shame that your use case was not identified when the exposure emulation behavior was first implemented (K-30 in 2012?) and double the shame that an override has not been provided since.

Ricoh/Pentax does not monitor this or other online forums, though there is a subforum for feature suggestions/fixes that is referenced by PF management when they have the rare communication with Ricoh. A fresh thread there might be worth the trouble as might a letter to Ricoh support detailing the steps to replicate.

Product Suggestions and Feedback - PentaxForums.com

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-23-2021 at 10:19 AM.
03-02-2021, 12:24 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you takoon and Steve for the explanation!
04-16-2021, 06:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are correct that this behavior is something that is probably easily addressed with a firmware update and you are welcome to bring the matter to their attention. It is a shame that your use case was not identified when the exposure emulation behavior was first implemented (K-30 in 2012?) and double the shame that an override has not been provided since.

Ricoh/Pentax does not monitor this or other online forums, though there is a subforum for feature suggestions/fixes that is referenced by PF management when they have the rare communication with Ricoh. A fresh thread there might be worth the trouble as might a letter to Ricoh support detailing the steps to replicate.

Product Suggestions and Feedback - PentaxForums.com

Steve
Thank You for the link. Maybe we have some 'Ricoh people' here.

04-16-2021, 06:47 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Thank You for the link. Maybe we have some 'Ricoh people' here.
FWIW when I've needed to do any product macro shooting I use constant lights to avoid unexpected surprises such as odd flares and reflections. I've never had much success with flash on anything close up, in fact carrying a handheld LED light with me in the field for use with macros. Then again I don't do it often enough to fine-tune a technique that works, which some of our members have become quite adept with.
04-18-2021, 05:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
FWIW when I've needed to do any product macro shooting I use constant lights to avoid unexpected surprises such as odd flares and reflections. I've never had much success with flash on anything close up, in fact carrying a handheld LED light with me in the field for use with macros. Then again I don't do it often enough to fine-tune a technique that works, which some of our members have become quite adept with.
Continuous lights have theirs strengths and weaknesses. I work in studio with mostly 3 - lights setups for product photography (most demanding is jewelry I think). In general i like strobes/monolights they give me more options. I think studio work could be one of the Pentax strong points. Image quality is there, very good raw files. And You could very easy add few things to the system to make it more appealing for studio work. Like this exposure preview in Live View checkbox in menu. The second one most important to me would be better Lightroom plugin for tethering with Live View and camera controls. K-1 is great camera for my work. Sometimes I also use K-70 (when I need more space between camera and subject with 150mm macro lens).