Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2021, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luckylu Quote
Hi all my trusted K-70 has started to show symptoms of aperture block although intermittent at the minute .Pretty much occurs everyday when I turn it on and use it for the first time. I find that if I use the continues shooting for the first shot then around the third or 5th image it starts to behave until I set it down for a little while then I need to go through the continuous burst again for it to start behaving again.

FYI I have copied the details of my camera and reckon the problem started around 200 shots ago.

As an aside it never happens with my 55-300 PLM
Particular that it never happens with the PLM lens is typical, the PLM lens does not use the mechanical diaphragma-control (aperture-control) via the solenoid but
is electric.

Also it might still work kind of alright in Live-View:
See:
How to detect aperture-block failure/stuck solenoid on Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com

If you feel up to it:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com
Then your K70 will be even better than before!

11-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Particular that it never happens with the PLM lens is typical, the PLM lens does not use the mechanical diaphragma-control (aperture-control) via the solenoid but
is electric.

Also it might still work kind of alright in Live-View:
See:
How to detect aperture-block failure/stuck solenoid on Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com

If you feel up to it:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com
Then your K70 will be even better than before!
Thanks I checked out all the links but have decided ti send it off for repair. They have already checked it and here is the work they will carry out.

Fault Comments:
Dark images

Resolution Comments:
Repair Shutter Mechanism
Check and Clean Viewfinder Assembly
Repair Mirror Mechanism
Check and Clean CCD
Replace Mechanical Assembly

Total including VAT £114. Which I suppose is reasonable as includes a good clean out and warranty on repair also.
11-19-2021, 12:54 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks I checked out all the links but have decided ti send it off for repair. They have already checked it and here is the work they will carry out.

Fault Comments:
Dark images

Resolution Comments:
Repair Shutter Mechanism
Check and Clean Viewfinder Assembly
Repair Mirror Mechanism
Check and Clean CCD
Replace Mechanical Assembly

Total including VAT £114. Which I suppose is reasonable as includes a good clean out and warranty on repair also.
The price is good.
The comments are fake as fake can be:
If the DA55-300 PLM works, then the following parts are alright:
- shutter mechanism
- mirror mechanism
- clean CCD: The K70 does not have a CCD sensor but CMOS

Last Pentax with a CCD was the K200D discontinued in 2009.

The only part which isn't working is the solenoid which brings the dark image syncrome.

That is the "mechanial assembly"

Wonder who invents/writes such utter nonsense!

The replacement will be with the same China-Solenoid.
11-23-2021, 02:09 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The price is good.
The comments are fake as fake can be:
If the DA55-300 PLM works, then the following parts are alright:
- shutter mechanism
- mirror mechanism
- clean CCD: The K70 does not have a CCD sensor but CMOS

Last Pentax with a CCD was the K200D discontinued in 2009.

The only part which isn't working is the solenoid which brings the dark image syncrome.

That is the "mechanial assembly"

Wonder who invents/writes such utter nonsense!

The replacement will be with the same China-Solenoid.
I totally get the cynicism however I suppose if it's an older engineer the maybe they are using old terminology, and that might explain the CCD terminology. I'm ok with them swapping over the other parts if they have since they were 3 years old anyway so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

What I can say for definite is that the service was done quickly and my K-70 was returned today ad working like new so really happy with the service and the comms From John Pye Technical. From what I read they have the warranty contract in the UK for Pentax and the engineers are the same ones who worked for the previous company who had the contract which no longer exists.

I hope it's good for at least another 3 years, by which time I will probably have traded up.

At this point though I will highly recommend John Pye for work in the UK.

11-23-2021, 09:11 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I totally get the cynicism however I suppose if it's an older engineer the maybe they are using old terminology, and that might explain the CCD terminology. I'm ok with them swapping over the other parts if they have since they were 3 years old anyway so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

What I can say for definite is that the service was done quickly and my K-70 was returned today ad working like new so really happy with the service and the comms From John Pye Technical. From what I read they have the warranty contract in the UK for Pentax and the engineers are the same ones who worked for the previous company who had the contract which no longer exists.

I hope it's good for at least another 3 years, by which time I will probably have traded up.

At this point though I will highly recommend John Pye for work in the UK.
As I said the price is really good. This is the second positive response regarding John Pye, the other was:
New K-70 and Aperture Block - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com
Same price.
So a good adress to have in UK and possibly Ireland.

Of course I'd prefer the proper repair with the white Japan DSLR solenoid but this solution including warranty is good.

I now recall that there was another repairplace:
http://www.asahiphoto.co.uk/
If my memory doesn't play tricks they accepted to built in the Japan-Solenoid (delivered with the camera)!
So if it ever goes wrong again, remember that adress!
11-25-2021, 03:42 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DenB Quote
I am expecting delivery today of a new K-70, my first Pentax digital SLR. I have been reading about the aperture block/stuck solenoid problem that occurs with this camera. Has Pentax fixed this problem with new releases of the K-70? If not, is it a matter of time when I can expect this problem to occur in the camera? Quite frankly, I would rather not keep the camera if this a likely future problem. Thanks for any advice or insights on this issue.
I have had the K-70 for 3 years now, I've shot around 20,000 exposures and am now experiencing the shutter problem. It's not definitive yet insofar as I'm still using the camera without repair, so far, but the signs are there! I'm only getting the problem on my first shot after the camera has been switched off for a few hours/day. Thereafter, exposures are correct. From what I've read over the years about this problem, specifically on the K-70, it would seem that by using the camera one hell of a lot, as opposed to very low use/age, the problem is possibly less likely to occur.I have read of two different users that have logged over 100,000 exposures with the K-70 with no problems whatsoever!
11-25-2021, 06:56 AM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
I have had the K-70 for 3 years now, I've shot around 20,000 exposures and am now experiencing the shutter problem. It's not definitive yet insofar as I'm still using the camera without repair, so far, but the signs are there! I'm only getting the problem on my first shot after the camera has been switched off for a few hours/day. Thereafter, exposures are correct. From what I've read over the years about this problem, specifically on the K-70, it would seem that by using the camera one hell of a lot, as opposed to very low use/age, the problem is possibly less likely to occur.I have read of two different users that have logged over 100,000 exposures with the K-70 with no problems whatsoever!
Sounds like same issues I have just had. Mine was exactly 3 years when it started to exhibit the issue. I did use it daily however I went a while where I only used the 55-300PLM on it so I wonder if it happened during that time. Mine started like yours first shot of the day then started to get worse and using burst shots used to clear it until I stopped using it again. I eventually just bit the bullet and got it repaired.

11-25-2021, 07:26 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DenB Quote
Den asked in April 2021: I am expecting delivery today of a new K-70, my first Pentax digital SLR. I have been reading about the aperture block/stuck solenoid problem that occurs with this camera. Has Pentax fixed this problem with new releases of the K-70? If not, is it a matter of time when I can expect this problem to occur in the camera? Quite frankly, I would rather not keep the camera if this a likely future problem. Thanks for any advice or insights on this issue.
Doesn't make sense to answer a question that is over 6 month old. For what reason?
Particular when he got all possible answers?

You brought up your problem and got plenty of suggestions and answers.

I find to dig up an old thread just to repeat what was repeated already is not helpful.
Why to make member Den worried?
11-25-2021, 07:45 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope our K-70 doesn’t run into this problem.
11-25-2021, 09:29 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
I hope our K-70 doesn’t run into this problem.
Another one of those no-nonsense comments just to fill your bag so you can take part in the HD Pentax 21mm Limited Giveaway!
Make at least an effort an write something that makes sense and check to whom and exactly why your refer to a post.
11-25-2021, 10:44 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Frankly, your problem sounds like a problem with the aperture control to me; that often does begin with the first shot of the day, and becomes more of an issue as time goes on. It does seem to depend more on the calendar than on usage, and often it never does occur on the K-70.
11-26-2021, 04:39 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Frankly, your problem sounds like a problem with the aperture control to me; that often does begin with the first shot of the day, and becomes more of an issue as time goes on. It does seem to depend more on the calendar than on usage, and often it never does occur on the K-70.
Yes it's actually getting worse each time I use the camera. I can get it to work eventually but It's just a matter of time that I'll have to send it for repair.

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 12:42 PM ----------

Doesn't make sense to answer a question that is over 6 month old. For what reason?
Particular when he got all possible answers?

You brought up your problem and got plenty of suggestions and answers.

I find to dig up an old thread just to repeat what was repeated already is not helpful.
Why to make member Den worried?
My apologies! I didn't notice the age of the post. I certainly didn't wish to worry the member, but simply to shed light on my experience.

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 12:45 PM ----------

Sounds like same issues I have just had. Mine was exactly 3 years when it started to exhibit the issue. I did use it daily however I went a while where I only used the 55-300PLM on it so I wonder if it happened during that time. Mine started like yours first shot of the day then started to get worse and using burst shots used to clear it until I stopped using it again. I eventually just bit the bullet and got it repaired.
Did you have it repaired by an official Pentax dealer? What did they do or replace in the camera?
11-26-2021, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you have it repaired by an official Pentax dealer? What did they do or replace in the camera?
Yes I actually went to the official Pentax warranty repairers see my posts earlier in the thread. start on 1st Nov. If you follow them you will see the information and also some insightful comments and links from photogem
11-26-2021, 07:20 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Another one of those no-nonsense comments just to fill your bag so you can take part in the HD Pentax 21mm Limited Giveaway!
Make at least an effort an write something that makes sense and check to whom and exactly why your refer to a post.
We just bought a K-70 for my wife. I had no idea about this issue prior. I made a passing statement. You assume otherwise. If you do not like my post just move on. It could be said your comment was doing the very same thing you accuse me of doing.
You have a fine day!
11-26-2021, 09:47 AM   #90
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was using my ks-2 daily for years. However the last year was mostly with the 55-300 plm. I would think this wouldn't matter and the solenoid would be exercised anyway. Perhaps it isn't?