Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Aperture Block Failure.. Question?

Ok.. Had a K1000 went to D110 then saved my penny's an bought a K-70. Love this camera no really. Then reading I find this article on this Pentax Aperture Block Failure. Great is this in the newer models I bought this one Oct,18 .2018 new. So far great is there a count or should I make sure the D110 close .

05-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-30 and K-50 had enough reported failures to be an issue. The K-70 has had some failures reported but a far lower number than the others. Perhaps no more than any camera has some failures.
05-03-2021, 05:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems to be a rare occurrence with the K70. I bought my K70 new in August 2018. It was manufactured in March 2018. So far no problems.
05-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It happens, Wild Turkey, and you should be aware of the possibility.

There are at least 7000 hits when you google 'k-70 dark pictures' in this site alone.

As a percentage across all owners, we just don't know. It should be lower than in the previous beginner Pentaxes (the K-30, K-50, K-S1, K-500, K-S2) though.

Various repairs are available if this does happen to you, however. If you are electronics skilled, you can do it yourself for about $30. A fellow member named Photogem has thoroughly documented the process.

05-03-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wildturkey Quote
Ok.. Had a K1000 went to D110 then saved my penny's an bought a K-70. Love this camera no really. Then reading I find this article on this Pentax Aperture Block Failure. Great is this in the newer models I bought this one Oct,18 .2018 new. So far great is there a count or should I make sure the D110 close .
I learned about the "Dark Image Syndrome" after I had already purchased a K-30.
Anecdotally, the problem seems to be a matter of calendar time - around 2 or 3 years - not of usage.
In my case, I purchased an FA 28-105mm lens and carried it around in my bag so I could control the aperture from the aperture-ring of an AF lens if the occasion arose.
Carrying a lens like that around with you adds much less weight than carrying an extra camera body does.
Oh yes, I did eventually need it - that problem seems to occur less often with the K-70, so the problem may not ever occur with your camera.
05-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I learned about the "Dark Image Syndrome" after I had already purchased a K-30.
Anecdotally, the problem seems to be a matter of calendar time - around 2 or 3 years - not of usage.
In my case, I purchased an FA 28-105mm lens and carried it around in my bag so I could control the aperture from the aperture-ring of an AF lens if the occasion arose.
Carrying a lens like that around with you adds much less weight than carrying an extra camera body does.
Oh yes, I did eventually need it - that problem seems to occur less often with the K-70, so the problem may not ever occur with your camera.
Thanks
05-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
K-30 and K-50 had enough reported failures to be an issue. The K-70 has had some failures reported but a far lower number than the others. Perhaps no more than any camera has some failures.
Thanks

05-05-2021, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wildturkey Quote
I guess you mean the Pentax K110D!

This is a good donor if ever ABF would occur in your K-70 because it has 2 of the precious Japan-Solenoids.

If ever this would happen, you could swap solenoids:

You just remove the Japan-Solenoid which opens the pop-up flash in your K110D.
Then you disassemble the K70, get the green China-solenoid out, which you used for the pop-up-flash of your K110D
because it won't get stuck there ever and then you insert the Japansolenoid from your K110D into the K70 for aperture control.

So just in the rare case (I guess 1-2% likelyhood) your K70 would develop ABF you are well prepared.

If you can't do it yourself, find somebody here in the forum, there are many who have done it.

But don't worry, enjoy the great K70 which is a masterpiece.

But one good advice to minimize ABF: In most cases it occurs when the camera is not used over a longer period.
I just repaired today a NOS K30 (it came to me with a shuttercount of about 35 but just because the owner tried to find out what was wrong, since its make in 2012 it was never used!) When unpacked: ABF!

So using your K70 (which is anyway what it was made for) is a good idea.