Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2021, 04:45 AM   #1

Think I was sent a returned camera by Jessops

Ordered a K70 on Friday which arrived today.

Think its a return:
- No seal on the box
- manual and cd etc not under the first flap but plonked on top of the next layer
- slight tell-tale marks on the mount suggestive of a lens being attached
- fingerprints on the lcd screen
- no protective coating on lcd screen
- viewfinder diopter way out of focus
- shutter actuations 26 (I've taken 8 shots to test).

Wanted to double-check with anyone who has bought a K70 that I wasn't off base before I contact Jessops for a replacement.It should have a seal on the box (like the lens that came with it) and a protector on the lcd screen?

The camera seems to be operating OK but I can't say that it wasn't returned due to a fault or was even a demo unit.

05-17-2021, 05:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finger prints on the LCD screen and the number of actuations suggest it is a returned unit. I don't expect the box to be sealed. It could be a shop demo model?
05-17-2021, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by moonbucket1 Quote

Think its a return:
- No seal on the box
- manual and cd etc not under the first flap but plonked on top of the next layer

Wanted to double-check with anyone who has bought a K70 that I wasn't off base before I contact Jessops for a replacement.It should have a seal on the box (like the lens that came with it) and a protector on the lcd screen?

The camera seems to be operating OK but I can't say that it wasn't returned due to a fault or was even a demo unit.
I've never remember any of my Pentax cameras coming with a seal on the box. However from your description it sounds like it was opened for demo with a customer. As such maybe request an open box demo discount if you are happy with it instead of a full return
05-17-2021, 06:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I no longer have my K-70 box, but neither my KP nor my K-3iii were in sealed boxes from Bristol Cameras, neither do I remember screen protection, but I may be wrong on that..
For less than a couple of dozen shots I'd have thought it was unlikely to have been a return, more likely an on-counter demo or even a salesman checking it worked before dispatching it. Rather clumsy not to have wiped the screen and re-packed it properly!
I'd have thought worth at least a complaint in writing, you might be able to scrounge a spare battery or SD card even if they don't offer cash discount. At least you'd have officially registered the fact, so, in the event of something else turning up, they can't say you didn't tell them at once

05-17-2021, 06:40 AM   #5
Forum Member

Take a JPG picture and upload it to this website, it will tell you the date of manufacture and the amount of usage.

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

Mine was a certified refurb of a display model and has a label inside the foldout screen
05-17-2021, 06:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No box "seals" in the US- at least that I've seen.
05-17-2021, 07:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice folks, very much appreciated.

This was the data from a test jpg:

Camera PENTAX K-70
Shutter Count 26
Manufacture Date 2021:01:25
Lens M-42 or No Lens

Camera looks pristine but it kinda nags at you a little incase it was a faulty return. A demo unit seems logical, if a bit cheeky of Jessops!

05-17-2021, 08:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the advice folks, very much appreciated.

This was the data from a test jpg:

Camera PENTAX K-70
Shutter Count 26
Manufacture Date 2021:01:25
Lens M-42 or No Lens

Camera looks pristine but it kinda nags at you a little incase it was a faulty return. A demo unit seems logical, if a bit cheeky of Jessops!
I would just ask them directly, call and follow up with email to document.
You will be doing the "management" a favor(favour ) ; if they don't know about problems they cannot fix them.
05-17-2021, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
I've emailed them and got a response of either a refund or exchange. Not sure if they don't routinely sell demo units and instead just sneakily repackage them, or whether they think I'm a chancer.

So, I've said in my reply unless they want to offer an open-box style incentive, if they will replace the body by delivery courier who can pick up the return at the same time as delivery. Even that level of trust might be beyond them, but we will see.

Cheers for all the help again, friendly forum this.
05-17-2021, 09:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I don’t know about Jessops, but I know that for online orders some store will do a quick check and take note of the serial number. But they usually tell you about this.
05-17-2021, 09:39 AM   #11

I think it's normal for a camera to come with a >0 shutter count due to factory testing. 26 isn't crazy.
05-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if they don't routinely sell demo units and instead just sneakily repackage them, or whether they think I'm a chancer.
I have never heard anything disparaging about Jessops on this site, but if you feel those are valid suspicions, you may wish to not do business with them again.

Steve
05-17-2021, 01:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zjacreman Quote
I think it's normal for a camera to come with a >0 shutter count due to factory testing. 26 isn't crazy.
My K-70, my KP and now my K-3iii all arrived with zero shutter count, from Bristol Cameras in the UK.
I'm quite sure that even if dealers and repair agents don't have access to the capability, the factory will be able to reset any counters to zero before shipping.
05-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take the replacement, no reason not to.
05-17-2021, 03:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Think its a return:
- No seal on the box
I don't have a K-70, but other Pentax Cameras I have bought do not have sealed boxes, do not have protective coating on LCD screen, the manual and CD, etc, is above the flaps where the camera resides, the diopter can be anywhere. But they don't have marks on the mount or fingerprints. I don't remember if any had shutter actuations except the most recent which was 0. I see you already have resolution to the problem, but just wanted to add experience for others that may wonder.