Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2022, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Several people have mentioned it in this thread as one of the reasons to get the KP instead.

No-one outside Ricoh really knows how common it is because there are no published figures. There don't seem to be as many user reports of ABF here as on previous models, but enough to think it is still a problem. @Photogem is the expert on the solenoid. He might weigh in.

I've had ABF on my K-S2 and it is a PITA. I think it's another good reason to get a KP if you can (the KP and other high end models use a different mechanism which doesn't have the same problem).
He has weighed in on this several times. As I recall it's a relative non-issue on the current K-70's. For whatever reason, aperture block failure gets mentioned as some kind of serious concern to be had with the K-70 in every thread asking for purchase advice, and from folks who don't use a K-70. Some even promote it as a failure just waiting to happen. It is not. A K-70 purchased new today has a different and more reliable solenoid than the old K-30's and K-50's where it actually was something to be aware of. The likelihood of a similar failure on a new in-the-box K-70 is slim and that's according to the forums "expert on the solenoid", @Photogem. You're welcome for him to chime in and restate what he's had to say on the topic rather than accept my recollection.

Continuously bashing the K-70 for no reason other than "I read this somewhere so it must be right" is not helpful (Not referring to you Des). Yup, a handful of K-70 owners have feared they had aperture block failure at the first sign of something not looking right. When all was said and done several of them were determined to have some other issue instead. Verified aperture-block failures on a K-70 are pretty rare, but of course not totally unheard of. Every camera from every brand has a chance of failing. Buttons have fallen off KP's, the focus mechanism has failed, and the shutter hasn't cooperated in cold weather for some owners, but those issues are pretty rare too and hardly worth worrying about. Those rare but possible failures aren't promoted, unlike aperture blocks on the K-70.

Yes the KP has some less-essential but useful features that a more advanced shooter might find desirable. Or not. I've had both and TBH did not find the K-70 lacking in comparison, and I had expected I would which is why I purchased a KP to begin with. Excitedly I might add. In actual use the additional controls and features weren't utilized as much as I had expected they would be. When I considered simple ergonomic reasons too it wasn't the camera for me. The K-70 was and still is. I have two of them as a matter of fact, with a third sold to a close friend of mine who has not had any issue with hers other than user error (she comes from a Canon background). My KP has moved on to another forum member who enjoys it more than I did. If you can find a new KP at a reasonable price I think it's a fine choice. It has some helpful mid-range controls a photographer might like to have as they advance even if the final image is essentially identical from both bodies. Worst case is you find the ergonomics of the KP aren't for you and attracting a second-hand buyer is easy.

On the other hand, buying a used camera might come with it's own unique issues unless the provenance is known, which is why the majority of gear buyers prefer new to used. If both the K-70 and KP were available new then my opinion would be tempered, but they aren't. A KP will almost assuredly be second or third hand with no warranty, which I'm not convinced ensures a better experience than purchasing a new in the box K-70, especially with the value it offers in comparison to options from other brands. Dollar for feature and image-wise the K-70 is an amazing bargain. There is no better value today in a new camera IMHO. If someone has reliability concerns with their new camera just add an extended warranty, which is not expensive to do either. Two of mine had a standard year while the third came with a three-year extended certificate in the box.

IMO "aperture block failure" worries in the K-70 have taken on a life of their own, the bark a whole lot worse than its actual bite. In addition to the obvious, those photographers or 'togs-to-be who are interested in Pentax and what value it offers get peppered with "on no, not Pentax. I've heard (fill in the blank). Buy a Canon/Nikon/Sony instead, because they're dependable" from users of other systems. It makes Pentax sound like a discount brand with no reliability... and we're feeding it! Not helpful nor accurate.

Soapbox put up.

EDIT for the OP: The K-70 is a great choice. Don't let maybe's and might's sway you. There is no better dollar-for-dollar value in a new pro-sumer grade SLR. If you were to happen upon a new-in-the-box KP it might also be a great choice for you, noting that the ergonomics of that body are quite unlike any other Pentax released in the past decade. Some immediately like it, others have adapted to it, and there's some who simply do not like it. Barring that new unused KP being stumbled upon, the K-70, new and under warranty, is the better choice IMO. Just go for it.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-01-2022 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Added comment for the OP
01-01-2022, 12:23 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snegron1 Quote
I have been doing some research the past couple of days, and I came across an issue users have had with the K-70:
Aperture block failure.
It is good to do research, but it isn't something to worry about too much.

How common is this?
About 2% of all sold Pentax K70 are sent for repair. Lets suppose 50% of those would suffer from ABF, then we have 1%. That is quite within the normal standard of all DSLR.

Has Pentax fixed this issue?
Yes, fromn Dec. 2015 onwards all those models got a modified solenoid:
K50, K-S1, K-S2 and of course K-70
Most of the first 3 models had been built pre-12/2015, so they suffer it much more.
The K30 suffered the most, then the K50 and K500 because almost all of them still had the non-modified part inside.
But it were many K-S1/K-S2's as well.

Apparently it is caused by a build up of magnetism in the aperture armature mechanism.
Yes, the alloy of the solenoid and its plunger.

Looks like older Pentax cameras didn't have this issue. I would hate to buy a K-70 only to have it go bad on me in a year or two.
Older Models pre K-r times had that solenoid inside but it was made in Japan.
From the K30 on all made in China and up to 12/2015 with problems.

So I highly can recommend the K-70 but if ever it would happen that this solenoid would "jam" then there is a clever and simple solution for it.
Many forummembers had their bodies repaired and know how to do it. It isn't anything really difficult.

If you want to go save, buy a KP as long as one still can get it but prices are quite high.
I adapted to its grip, but fully agree, the K-70 "grips" better, no question!

The AF and low-light ability for shooting freehand without flash is what made the choice for me.

The K-70 is a fantastic buy and you need to spend a lot more money (imho) to come even close to its performance.
01-01-2022, 12:46 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thank you Photogem!! Is there a way to determine the age/manufacture date of the K-70 via its serial number to ensure I'm getting a post 2015 model?
01-01-2022, 12:51 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Photogem!! Is there a way to determine the age/manufacture date of the K-70 via its serial number to ensure I'm getting a post 2015 model?
The K70 was announced in June 2016, there are no 2015 models!

If you have a Pentax-body you upload a JPEG here:
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
and you have the exact date of manufacture.

But again, no K-70 was ever build in 2015!

01-01-2022, 01:48 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a new K70 I bought from Adorama back in Oct. 21. I had a used K70 prior to this one. The older one quit on me back in September, the motherboard went out, along with the dreaded ABF! Thanks Pentax great job not fixing a well known problem!

I obviously am a gluton for punishment or maybe just stupid? I first of all really like the K70, it can do things that some Canon and Nikon cameras that cost double what this camera cost me and in some cases do it better!!! I personally think that you can't go wrong with a K70 at least until you can get into a newer or for that matter a used KIII. That's the baby I am hoping to get later this new year! Good luck and enjoy!
01-01-2022, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nutz Quote
I have a new K70 I bought from Adorama back in Oct. 21. I had a used K70 prior to this one. The older one quit on me back in September, the motherboard went out, along with the dreaded ABF! Thanks Pentax great job not fixing a well known problem!
Well, I can remember SWAN-dive of your K-70 quite well. Sadly we don't really know what happened with it, it could have been a lot of factors.
But in general what happened to your K70 could fall into what is called "anecdotal evidence", i.e. it is not typical.
But in rare cases it did happen and then it was the old wellknown gremlin, i.e. the China-Solenoid.

QuoteOriginally posted by nutz Quote
I obviously am a gluton for punishment or maybe just stupid? I first of all really like the K70, it can do things that some Canon and Nikon cameras that cost double what this camera cost me and in some cases do it better!!! I personally think that you can't go wrong with a K70 at least until you can get into a newer or for that matter a used KIII. That's the baby I am hoping to get later this new year! Good luck and enjoy!
Of course I am in a different position then most users because I have repaired many Pentax bodies with ABF and thus this doesn't scare me at all.

I myself see it from a very different and quite positive perspective:
Aside of ABF I never came across any other failures with all Pentax bodies using a solenoid for aperture-control.
The positive aspect is: It is easy and simple to solve and not really expensive!
Almost all faults which befall other DSLR cameras made by Nikon, Canon, Sony etc. can hardly be repaired DIY!

But ABF with Pentax can be solved cheap with DIY!

And in the worst case if DIY is no option and warranty is gone one sends the Pentax to California and has it repaired there for US$ 100 and has a life-long warranty on that repair:
https://www.pentaxcamerarepair.com/

This is not "my solution" but given the fact, that this guy gives this warranty, it is a possible solution.

Last edited by photogem; 02-14-2022 at 03:42 PM.
01-03-2022, 08:44 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
He has weighed in on this several times. As I recall it's a relative non-issue on the current K-70's. For whatever reason, aperture block failure gets mentioned as some kind of serious concern to be had with the K-70 in every thread asking for purchase advice, and from folks who don't use a K-70. Some even promote it as a failure just waiting to happen. It is not. A K-70 purchased new today has a different and more reliable solenoid than the old K-30's and K-50's where it actually was something to be aware of. The likelihood of a similar failure on a new in-the-box K-70 is slim and that's according to the forums "expert on the solenoid", @Photogem. You're welcome for him to chime in and restate what he's had to say on the topic rather than accept my recollection.

Continuously bashing the K-70 for no reason other than "I read this somewhere so it must be right" is not helpful (Not referring to you Des). Yup, a handful of K-70 owners have feared they had aperture block failure at the first sign of something not looking right. When all was said and done several of them were determined to have some other issue instead. Verified aperture-block failures on a K-70 are pretty rare, but of course not totally unheard of. Every camera from every brand has a chance of failing. Buttons have fallen off KP's, the focus mechanism has failed, and the shutter hasn't cooperated in cold weather for some owners, but those issues are pretty rare too and hardly worth worrying about. Those rare but possible failures aren't promoted, unlike aperture blocks on the K-70.

Yes the KP has some less-essential but useful features that a more advanced shooter might find desirable. Or not. I've had both and TBH did not find the K-70 lacking in comparison, and I had expected I would which is why I purchased a KP to begin with. Excitedly I might add. In actual use the additional controls and features weren't utilized as much as I had expected they would be. When I considered simple ergonomic reasons too it wasn't the camera for me. The K-70 was and still is. I have two of them as a matter of fact, with a third sold to a close friend of mine who has not had any issue with hers other than user error (she comes from a Canon background). My KP has moved on to another forum member who enjoys it more than I did. If you can find a new KP at a reasonable price I think it's a fine choice. It has some helpful mid-range controls a photographer might like to have as they advance even if the final image is essentially identical from both bodies. Worst case is you find the ergonomics of the KP aren't for you and attracting a second-hand buyer is easy.

On the other hand, buying a used camera might come with it's own unique issues unless the provenance is known, which is why the majority of gear buyers prefer new to used. If both the K-70 and KP were available new then my opinion would be tempered, but they aren't. A KP will almost assuredly be second or third hand with no warranty, which I'm not convinced ensures a better experience than purchasing a new in the box K-70, especially with the value it offers in comparison to options from other brands. Dollar for feature and image-wise the K-70 is an amazing bargain. There is no better value today in a new camera IMHO. If someone has reliability concerns with their new camera just add an extended warranty, which is not expensive to do either. Two of mine had a standard year while the third came with a three-year extended certificate in the box.

IMO "aperture block failure" worries in the K-70 have taken on a life of their own, the bark a whole lot worse than its actual bite. In addition to the obvious, those photographers or 'togs-to-be who are interested in Pentax and what value it offers get peppered with "on no, not Pentax. I've heard (fill in the blank). Buy a Canon/Nikon/Sony instead, because they're dependable" from users of other systems. It makes Pentax sound like a discount brand with no reliability... and we're feeding it! Not helpful nor accurate.

Soapbox put up.

EDIT for the OP: The K-70 is a great choice. Don't let maybe's and might's sway you. There is no better dollar-for-dollar value in a new pro-sumer grade SLR. If you were to happen upon a new-in-the-box KP it might also be a great choice for you, noting that the ergonomics of that body are quite unlike any other Pentax released in the past decade. Some immediately like it, others have adapted to it, and there's some who simply do not like it. Barring that new unused KP being stumbled upon, the K-70, new and under warranty, is the better choice IMO. Just go for it.
Yet another "problem camera" caused yet another thread to be started this morning.
K70 Exposure Issue - PentaxForums.com
The owner is understandably bitter about the situation, which Ricoh could fix with some creative work, but they don't.

I am one of those who advocated purchasing a KP instead - in fact, I did that myself.
I believe both 'sides' have over-stated their case.
The problem is relatively uncommon in general, but not for those who have depended on a camera that suddenly doesn't work.
Of course the problem was more common with a K-30, but the solution I used - purchasing a "FA" lens, then carrying it everywhere as part of your kit - would also work for the K-70.
In fact, I have said now that I might get a K-70 successor since I now have the "backup" FA.

Last edited by reh321; 01-03-2022 at 08:58 PM.
01-03-2022, 08:55 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nearly 3 years and 50k+ snaps with my K-70, still enjoying it along with its older sister K-3 II.
01-03-2022, 11:44 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regular use is one of the secrets, but anyway, the K-70 is within normal failure rates of all DSLR or other digital cameras and as I said, if it fails, we have a practical workable solution.
01-04-2022, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yet another "problem camera" caused yet another thread to be started this morning.
K70 Exposure Issue - PentaxForums.com
The owner is understandably bitter about the situation,.
Just a quibble, but the OP is not in the least "bitter about it". In his case, if it prove's out as the aperture block, he's apparently looking at it as an inconvenient "blip" that he'll repair himself.

In any event, timing is everything, and that thread is an inconvenient "blip" on my argument. But it doesn't change it. Verified K-70 aperture block failure reports have been rare. Other camera issues on K-70's, KP's, K1's and even K3III's are reported just as often if not more. Some end up as user error, while others are camera hardware problems. None are show-stoppers on any current Pentax cameras. AAMOF I seem to recall an industry report showing Pentax being better than most of their peers regarding camera failure rates, bettering Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Fujifilm.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-04-2022 at 05:43 AM.
01-05-2022, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In response to the mention of ergonomics, K70 vs KP... I have a K70 and the instant it came out of the box, I knew it was a prize...it fits my hand perfectly. Can't say that about any other camera body, not even my beloved Kr. I've handled/used a few other cameras, including years and years with the boss's Nikon D80 (and some others). Great camera, I'm thrilled to own one!
02-13-2022, 08:50 PM   #27
Forum Member

I just bought one and I really like it. :-)
02-14-2022, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just bought one as second body next to a K3II. My family members getting more an more into photography and borrowed always my K3II - problem solved. Feels familiar. Bit slower maybe but never annoying, unless you’re 100% into sports, birding or similar fast action. Scene modes for the less experienced and advanced modes for those liking control...Good pictures. Hesitated too long, nobrainer for the price.

See also bodies compared : Which Pentax Camera to Choose in 2022? - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
04-23-2022, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

My K70 has very recently begun showing signs of ABF with a manufacture date of April, 2017 and a shutter count of 21,100. Id still recommend it as it is a fantastic camera that sits perfectly in hand, (not for everyone, I'm sure). I have zero regrets choosing this camera so even when the inevitable ABF conversation arises, Id still say if youre interested in the K70, just get a K70
04-23-2022, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
My K70 has very recently begun showing signs of ABF with a manufacture date of April, 2017 and a shutter count of 21,100. I'd still recommend it as it is a fantastic camera that sits perfectly in hand, (not for everyone, I'm sure). I have zero regrets choosing this camera so even when the inevitable ABF conversation arises, I'd still say if you're interested in the K70, just get a K70
So time to prepare for:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com