Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2022, 01:46 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by grcolts Quote
That is what is keeping me from purchasing a K70...I have had two K50 bodies develop the aperture block failure and I don't want to risk another. Looking at all the K30's, K50's and a number of K70's that people have had go bad it is too bad Pentax has done nothing to help them out. Reading through all the bad experiences on this forum it is very sad that nothing was ever done to fix the issue.
My one K-30 did develop “dark image syndrome”, but Pentax did make a major change after the first K-70 cameras were made.
There is no longer any reason to fear that problem.
It is not true that nothing was “ever done to fix that issue”.
I WOULD NOW PURCHASE THE K-70 WITH NO FEAR THAT IT WOULD DEVELOP THAT PROBLEM,
but already owning that wonderful KP, I have no reason to get a K-70.
I would purchase a follow-up to the K-70, however.

08-23-2022, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
You purchased your K70 in Dec. 2019 if I remember right and thus it didn't get the 2-nd modification for the solenoid but just the 1.st!

Since then Pentax got it together and modified the solenoid again and as far as we can tell they did it the right way as I showed here in all detail:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com

Since quite a while we only hear very occasially about ABF with the K70 and ONLY in early production versions.

When we were in the midst of the K30/K50 ABF situation, quite a number tried to do everything to play something down which evidently was quite serious (about 25% of a sold K30's were sent back for warranty to a German dealer during the first 2 years but hardly showed up in forums then, one didn't know yet, but I got this information by a that person specialized on Pentax) and it didn't stop afterwards. Same for a time with the K50 and those few K500's which didn't sell so well).

It was different in the beginning with the K70 and we had this thread:
K-70 Underexposed Photo Reports - PentaxForums.com

If you read post #149 you can see how strong "efforts" went to block serious research!
It continued with the invention of the infamous resistor chip a fairytale defenders of "ABF isn't really a serious problem" readily embraced. "Alternative facts" crawled in.

The solenoidproblem was very serious and could have wrecked the reputation of Pentax. I think that was the reason why some defended with all their might. I had contact with some of the major people of Ricoh in Europe. I myself wouldn't know what decisions or choices I'd have taken if I were in their place. Not so easy.

But now I can defend the very opposite side regarding the K-70 and can happily say:

Buy it without the slightest worry!

It is a great camera.
I missed the info om the 2nd modification. My K70 was purchased used in 2019 with 96 clicks and actual mfg date was 2/28/2017. This may even be before the first modification... None the less, if buying used, knowing the model's AB failure history and the mfg date is still import info to get prior to a purchase. With my K70, I was especially annoyed because I had the issue with the K-S2 also. But I did the white solenoid repair, easy, and has worked well and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new or used one again.

10-12-2022, 05:07 AM   #48

I was also thinking about finally upgrading from my K100D to the K-70. But today I noticed that the Black model is shown as discontinued? Should I be worried that by the time I get to buy the K-70 it might no longer be around?
10-12-2022, 05:32 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentuxgb Quote
I was also thinking about finally upgrading from my K100D to the K-70. But today I noticed that the Black model is shown as discontinued? Should I be worried that by the time I get to buy the K-70 it might no longer be around?
Where do you see it marked "discontinued"?

10-12-2022, 06:15 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Why should you be worried?
If you want one and can get a K-70 now, grab it whilst it's still available … any "replacement", assuming it does happen, will be some time yet and significantly more expensive!
10-12-2022, 06:19 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Where do you see it marked "discontinued"?
It's just the black model says discontinued here:
K-70 | RICOH IMAGING

---------- Post added 10-12-22 at 06:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Why should you be worried?
If you want one and can get a K-70 now, grab it whilst it's still available … any "replacement", assuming it does happen, will be some time yet and significantly more expensive!
I think you are probably right and I just noticed that Amazon UK are currently discounting the K-70 and it's the black model that I prefer. I think I should probably get one.
10-12-2022, 08:26 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's just the black model says discontinued here:
K-70 | RICOH IMAGING

---------- Post added 10-12-22 at 06:20 AM ----------

I think you are probably right and I just noticed that Amazon UK are currently discounting the K-70 and it's the black model that I prefer. I think I should probably get one.
Thanks for the link.

At least on the US site they show the black with kit lens available, but the black body only is listed as "Sold Out". As you said though, the silver model is still listed for sale. I don't take that as the black being definitely discontinued, but it might be. Nice catch!

10-12-2022, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazon UK has 11 units left of the black version (body only):
Pentax K-70 Digital SLR Camera Body (Black): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
For 100 more with the DA-L18-50 kitlens which I don't like very much, the DA-version is better.
There is a private market-place offer for 100less and very low shuttercount but I would go for a new one.

You don't know when it was manufactured, the new ones will have the desired 3-rd generation solenoid!
And you have full warranty.
Marketplace offeres only 180 days!
10-13-2022, 07:00 AM   #54

Thanks very much for that info. I didn't even know about the solenoid issue. My K100D has been working great since new although it was unused for many years until recently.
I do some more research on the solenoid via the helpful links above. Thanks.
10-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks very much for that info. I didn't even know about the solenoid issue. My K100D has been working great since new although it was unused for many years until recently.
I do some more research on the solenoid via the helpful links above. Thanks.
No need to do more research:
Pentax K70's built from 2021 on will not be affected, i.e. any new ones.
11-22-2022, 04:46 AM   #56

No need to do more research:
Pentax K70's built from 2021 on will not be affected, i.e. any new ones.
Looking at getting a used K70 here, can anyone point out whether those with serial number 8xxxxxx and above are safe from the issue?
11-22-2022, 06:19 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keechoon Quote
Looking at getting a used K70 here, can anyone point out whether those with serial number 8xxxxxx and above are safe from the issue?
No, thats not possible really.

I had one for repair with serial # 4521xxx manufactured 7/2017 and one serial # 7327xxx manufactured 5/2017.

So zero connection to the date manufactured.
Had that with other Pentax DSLR as well
11-22-2022, 09:23 PM   #58

No, thats not possible really.

I had one for repair with serial # 4521xxx manufactured 7/2017 and one serial # 7327xxx manufactured 5/2017.

So zero connection to the date manufactured.
Had that with other Pentax DSLR as well
Thanks photogem! Will keep that in mind and a lookout for a good unit then.
11-25-2022, 04:17 AM   #59

I'm an excited proud owner of a new K-70. I picked it up this morning.
The Black Friday deal was too good to miss. I would have waited for the KF but it doesn't seem to offer anything over the K-70 and the K-70 was almost half the price.
11-25-2022, 07:15 AM - 2 Likes   #60

Got myself a near new K-70 from an Japan seller at a good price. According to the shutter count check, 38 shots, manufactured Jan 2022, serial 811****. Going to enjoy the weekend with this new system!