Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-08-2022, 07:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Which solenoid to get ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello! After almost 2 years of using my k70 with my wide manual lens only (shutter block failure), I'd like to finally repair my camera so I could use my other lenses. I tried to check at a repair shop but they denied since they don't have the piece.

Then, I started to look at tutorials with the goal to do it myself, it seems like there is a white and green version of the solenoid. In the tutorials the green one is always replaced by a white one (, however when I look online, I only see green solenoids for sale. (I mean, I saw a white white once, for 50€...)

Does buying the white version over the green solenoid matters or not? Where to get one for a reasonable price?
Thanks.

01-08-2022, 08:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tomlavl Quote
Hello! After almost 2 years of using my k70 with my wide manual lens only (shutter block failure), I'd like to finally repair my camera so I could use my other lenses. I tried to check at a repair shop but they denied since they don't have the piece.

Then, I started to look at tutorials with the goal to do it myself, it seems like there is a white and green version of the solenoid. In the tutorials the green one is always replaced by a white one (, however when I look online, I only see green solenoids for sale. (I mean, I saw a white white once, for 50€...)

Does buying the white version over the green solenoid matters or not? Where to get one for a reasonable price?
Thanks.
A simple answer is that the "green" solenoid is the only one sold by the manufacturer - which means professionally-done repairs will be done using it.

However research by @photogem; has shown that the "white" one - the one originally supplied - is vastly superior.
As far as I know, it is now available only by scavenging old equipment , which is presumably where those who sell it get it
{this is sort of like replacing the tail lights of my 1966 Dodge Dart - I went to the 'junk yard'.
01-08-2022, 08:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

A dead camera body from the Pentax *istD line will yield the part that you seek. AFAIK you need the flash release solenoid.

The white solenoids are not available new anymore.
01-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #4

Look in the "sticky" section:

Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

It should also link to discussion on source for the white solenoid.

01-08-2022, 10:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Just a random thought … given that a "dead" K-01 seems to be of little use for anything 'cept looking nice, and that it has an auto-pop-up flash which, presumably, is solenoid operated, is that solenoid suitable for an ABF repair?
01-08-2022, 10:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Basically you either find it in an old Pentax DSLR prior the K30 except K5 and K7.
All have 2 solenoids, one for the pop-up flash except K10D and K20D which only have one.
Sometimes you find already green China Solenoid for the pop-up flash (K100D, K200D, Km, Kx and KrI
but mostly in those sold in Europe (guinea-pigs).
Otherwise on ebay.com:
Pentax K50 K70 K500 K30 white solenoid for aperture repair | eBay
but not this one:
Original Pentax Solenoid ? White ? White ? Spare Part ? K-30 ? K-50 ? K-70 ? KS2 | eBay (not DSLR but SLR!)

A bit more difficult because you have to register:
Japan Solenoid Blendensteuerung Pentax K30 50 500, K-S2, S1, K70 in Saarbrücken - Saarbrücken-Mitte | eBay Kleinanzeigen
01-08-2022, 11:04 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Basically you either find it in an old Pentax DSLR prior the K30 except K5 and K7.
All have 2 solenoids, one for the pop-up flash except K10D and K20D which only have one.
Sometimes you find already green China Solenoid for the pop-up flash (K100D, K200D, Km, Kx and KrI
but mostly in those sold in Europe (guinea-pigs).
Otherwise on ebay.com:
Pentax K50 K70 K500 K30 white solenoid for aperture repair | eBay
but not this one:
Original Pentax Solenoid ? White ? White ? Spare Part ? K-30 ? K-50 ? K-70 ? KS2 | eBay (not DSLR but SLR!)

A bit more difficult because you have to register:
Japan Solenoid Blendensteuerung Pentax K30 50 500, K-S2, S1, K70 in Saarbrücken - Saarbrücken-Mitte | eBay Kleinanzeigen
I bought a white one long ago and put it in my desk drawer. While I'm unlikely to ever need it I figured at the $40 I spent, and considering the number of cameras owned that it applied to at the time (2 ea Ks-2 and K-70) it was cheap insurance.

01-08-2022, 07:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I bought a couple of non-working older Pentax cameras and recovered the solenoids from them against the day my K50 or K30 developed the problem. I chose cameras where the non-working cause did not appear to be related to the exposure/solenoid.

My K50 failed, and I did the self-repair using one of the recovered solenoids. All good, and camera works well.
01-09-2022, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #9

I've bought a K100d Super which should have just one white solenoid because it's a European version. For now my daughter uses it to learn the basics of photography and i have lots of fun with the vintage lenses it came with. It costed me a mere 100 euro's.

Now the only problem will be that, when the time comes to butcher the K100, someone will be disappointed. I probably have to pass the K70 to my daughter get myself a K3 (IV or V?). Did someone say it's a cheap fix?
01-09-2022, 06:31 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A simple answer is that the "green" solenoid is the only one sold by the manufacturer - which means professionally-done repairs will be done using it.

However research by @photogem; has shown that the "white" one - the one originally supplied - is vastly superior.
As far as I know, it is now available only by scavenging old equipment , which is presumably where those who sell it get it
{this is sort of like replacing the tail lights of my 1966 Dodge Dart - I went to the 'junk yard'.
So the only repair piece provided by the manufacturer is prone to the same issue? Then the white version is the only way to go to correclty repair the k70?

Thanks, Maybe I'll try to look for old broken pentax camera online or directly buy the solenoid.
02-12-2022, 03:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So the only repair piece provided by the manufacturer is prone to the same issue? Then the white version is the only way to go to correclty repair the k70?
Exactly, but the DSLR Japan version, not the SLR version!

Thanks, Maybe I'll try to look for old broken pentax camera online or directly buy the solenoid.
We have a thread about which Pentax use the right one:
DSLR Pentax bodies with solenoid - PentaxForums.com
Or ebay.com or

ebay Kleinanzeigen Germany (but there you need to register)