Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2022, 06:26 AM   #31
Forum Member

When I got that same email from B&H saying they were discontinued, I contacted Ricoh and asked them. This was the response I received from them:

Thank you, for contacting Ricoh Imaging.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your past, present and future support.

They are not discontinued just back ordered. No ETA currently but hopefully very soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

02-05-2022, 06:28 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 740K70 Quote
When I got that same email from B&H saying they were discontinued, I contacted Ricoh and asked them. This was the response I received from them:
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your past, present and future support.
They are not discontinued just back ordered. No ETA currently but hopefully very soon.
Nothing different expected!
02-05-2022, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 740K70 Quote

Good to know. B&H probably sends that email automatically after a certain time period. Maybe someday they'll have them in stock again.

02-05-2022, 10:00 AM   #34

I am using DSTE battery pack for my K1 and I have not encountered any problems. I hope my luck continues.

02-05-2022, 02:25 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aldo taddia Quote
I am using DSTE battery pack for my K1 and I have not encountered any problems. I hope my luck continues.
Very bad batteries. Cheap trickster resistor to cheat the orig. Pentax charger which would otherwise not charge.
Claims 2800mA/h which is impossible for that size. The orig. D-LI90 has 1860mA/h.
A cheat
One must understand that 3-rd party chargers are quickchargers and thus can even harm the orig. Pentax D-LI109.
They have just 2 contacts, lacking the T-contact for temperature-control (and switch off if too hot)
That contact is also within the camera. But those clone-batteries lack the sensor and this trickster resistor instead.
The danger of the battery getting too hot within the K1 isn't a worry but I had several clone-batteries swelling, so I could not get them out of the battery chamber without the help of pliers. If they would explode (swelling is a serious sign of such a danger) then good night to your K1.
https://www.dfrsolutions.com/blog/why-do-lithium-ion-batteries-swell

Last edited by photogem; 02-05-2022 at 02:32 PM.
02-16-2022, 07:19 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
One thing I realized today is that eventually your Pentax battery will be dead and no Pentax replacement will be available. For example, my K10d uses the D-Li50 which I believe is no longer available, or at least I can't find anyone selling them. I still do have one Pentax battery for it, but my backup and grip batteries are Wasabi. If it's so hard to get a K70 battery today, imagine once it's the camera is discontinued. Ultimately, you'll be using 3rd party batteries, like it or not. The K70 is coming up on 6 years old. If Pentax is going to have an entry level camera in it's lineup, a replacement would probably come in the not to distant future...maybe late next year is my guess. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax abandoned entry level and focused on high end DSLRs only.

02-16-2022, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
One thing I realized today is that eventually your Pentax battery will be dead and no Pentax replacement will be available. For example, my K10d uses the D-Li50 which I believe is no longer available, or at least I can't find anyone selling them. I still do have one Pentax battery for it, but my backup and grip batteries are Wasabi. If it's so hard to get a K70 battery today, imagine once it's the camera is discontinued.
The K-s1 and K-s2, K-50, and K-70 all use the same battery. I'd imagine it will be at least 20 years from now before replacement 3rd party batteries become hard to find. Heck the old circa-2009 K7's still have batteries available for them. Except for collectors of decades-old cameras sometime in the future, I can't imagine any of us will be impacted by the unavailability of batteries.

02-16-2022, 09:25 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The K-s1 and K-s2, K-50, and K-70 all use the same battery. I'd imagine it will be at least 20 years from now before replacement 3rd party batteries become hard to find. Heck the old circa-2009 K7's still have batteries available for them. Except for collectors of decades-old cameras sometime in the future, I can't imagine any of us will be impacted by the unavailability of batteries.
The K10d is about 2006 or so...about 16 years old. If Pentax stops using the D-Li109s I double a Pentax branded battery will still be available 16 years later. While I have a K3iii, I also have a K70 and a K10d and I still like using the K10d...just like I still like shooting with a Spotmatic. I'd like to thing my K3iii will still be alive in 20 yrs. While using an existing battery for future models is great, at some point battery technology advances will require a change... My point... Sooner or later your using a 3rd party battery if you want to use an aging camera.

02-16-2022, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K10d is about 2006 or so...about 16 years old. If Pentax stops using the D-Li109s I double a Pentax branded battery will still be available 16 years later. While I have a K3iii, I also have a K70 and a K10d and I still like using the K10d...just like I still like shooting with a Spotmatic. I'd like to thing my K3iii will still be alive in 20 yrs. While using an existing battery for future models is great, at some point battery technology advances will require a change... My point... Sooner or later your using a 3rd party battery if you want to use an aging camera.
And we totally agree. At some point we'll need to use 3rd party ones. But we will still have batteries to use long after the company-branded ones are discontinued, likely decades. I don't see that as much of an issue, nor do I expect there to be a dearth of batteries for my K-70 in my lifetime.

There's no indication that Pentax branded K70 batteries have been discontinued. They're just hard to locate right now. Remember when the rumor went around a couple of years ago about Nikon Z batteries being discontinued? That wasn't true either. When it happens "someday" there will still be quality options.

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-16-2022 at 10:39 AM.
02-17-2022, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can typically rebuild older batteries using new cells. It isn’t super cheap, at least if you buy good quality cells.
02-18-2022, 06:53 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I still have a pair of my original Pentax batteries for the K10D, and a pair of knockoffs that I bought not long after I bought the camera. All of them still work, and seem to hold a good charge, but the K10D had about double the battery life of my K3 or K1, so it's kind of hard to tell how much capacity they've lost just by using them. And after the Pentax charger failed on my honeymoon in 2010, I bought a generic two terminal charger that got a lot of use until I bought my wife a used K20D a few years later. I was very surprised to find any charger that would work on the island of Santorini.
Kristian
03-01-2022, 07:17 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
fyi .. Adorama now has Pentax D-Li109 batteries in stock for $49

03-07-2022, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #43
Forum Member

There is some available now at B&H. :-)