Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-11-2022, 04:31 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K70 best setting for Star trails?

I want to go out tonight and try to shoot some star trails. What is the best shooting mode: Interval or Interval Composite? If interval Composite, what is the best "stacked" method-Average, Additive, or Bright?

TIA!!

02-12-2022, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Here's some notes I made for my own reference :-

Kiron 28mm f/2
Manual Mode - 30sec @ ISO 400 - wide open
~120 exposures - approx 1hr
Interval drive mode - interval 35 sec
Interval Composite "Bright" - Save Process

Using the default Astrophoto User Mode will help retain the natural colours of the stars and improve the blackness of the background.
Inevitably, light pollution levels in your area may need some compensation applied to these figures.

Doing an internet search for "pentax star trails" will bring up many knowledgeable articles.
Good luck
02-12-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you so much! I will try to use this tonight. Do you have any sample photos? I’m hoping to point my camera north and catch circular trails.

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Here's some notes I made for my own reference :-

Kiron 28mm f/2
Manual Mode - 30sec @ ISO 400 - wide open
~120 exposures - approx 1hr
Interval drive mode - interval 35 sec
Interval Composite "Bright" - Save Process

Using the default Astrophoto User Mode will help retain the natural colours of the stars and improve the blackness of the background.
Inevitably, light pollution levels in your area may need some compensation applied to these figures.

Doing an internet search for "pentax star trails" will bring up many knowledgeable articles.
Good luck

---------- Post added 02-12-22 at 10:39 AM ----------

Also, I’m thinking of placing a tractor in the foreground with the stars in the background. Would I then focus on the tractor or the stars?
02-12-2022, 10:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 87Duckfan Quote
Also, I’m thinking of placing a tractor in the foreground with the stars in the background. Would I then focus on the tractor or the stars?

Depends what's most important to you and how close the "foreground" is … the depth of field of the lens you anticipate using may also be a factor, if it's really wide you may well get everything in focus

The settings I quoted refer to this picture, taken with my KP … but for these purposes the K-70 is every bit as good!