Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2022, 07:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

SD card tight fit...

Hey guys,

I am relatively new to DSLRs so I hope you will not find my question stupid. Before my K-70 I have had a bridge model and the insertion of the SD card was totally fluid so I was kind of surprised to discover that insertion on this model can result in a certain resistance if the SD card is not quite vertical to the side surface of the camera. If it is perfectly vertical, insertion is pretty smooth but otherwise the slot opposes a curious resistance to the movement. Is it the same for you? Thanks a lot in advance again for your precious help, folks.

03-23-2022, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Usually, the car fir should not be tight on Pentax dSLR. However,with a few card, it might be tight. Scrap/file the edge of the card and try again. It should be enough in many case.
Hope that the comment will help.
03-23-2022, 08:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I use a SanDisk Extreme Pro and, since when inserted in a perfectly vertical initial position the process goes on smoothly enough, I prefer not to file its sides but that said, I appreciate your contribution. Thanks.
03-23-2022, 08:37 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Look closely at your SD card, i had one begin to separate which i noticed immediately from the suddenly snug fit.

03-23-2022, 08:41 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Whay do you mean exactly by that?

---------- Post added 03-23-22 at 09:05 PM ----------

I think I found the explanation myself, Looking inside the SD card slot with my powerfull flashlight I noticed that there is two ( one on each side of the slot ) kind of alignment bumpers and one has to move the card gently from one side to another, forward/backward until rhe card passes those bumpers. I tested the method 3 times and it works flawlessly. I also looked closely to my card and there is nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by Webstormer; 03-23-2022 at 09:06 PM.
03-24-2022, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Some cards are physically thicker than others … you'll need a micrometer to check.
Some slots are looser than others … I have some cards that are fine in my Samsung cameras but wouldn't fit in my Pentax cameras without sanding.
Some labels aren't fitted exactly within their recess and cause the card to be thicker … again, sanding is a solution.
Assuming you have some cards that do fit in your Pentax, so you can demonstrate the camera not to be at fault, possibly best return the "faulty" units and shop around for a brand with a better fit.
03-24-2022, 01:22 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh! there will be no need for a return in this case since it is only a matter of alignment. I repeat, I thouroughly analysed the slot inner structure and ( you can check it by yourself ), no possible mistake here, one just has to apply the procedure mentionned above. Now, I understand that some card models are thicker and that the exact size of slots may vary but problem solved in my case: my SandDisk fits perfect once properly aligned and this is just an obvious design weakness from Ricoh, weakness thet will never make me turn my back on a camera I like a lot. So, thanks to all of you for your participation and topic is closed for me. :-)

P.S. If Ricoh added in the first place alignment guides to their alignment guards ( bumpers ), this would be an unexisting " problem ".

Last edited by Webstormer; 03-24-2022 at 01:27 AM.
03-24-2022, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

In the words of Arkwright - 'Ji-ji-jiggle it a bit'.
03-24-2022, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Some cards are physically thicker than others … you'll need a micrometer to check.
Some slots are looser than others … I have some cards that are fine in my Samsung cameras but wouldn't fit in my Pentax cameras without sanding.
Some labels aren't fitted exactly within their recess and cause the card to be thicker … again, sanding is a solution.
Assuming you have some cards that do fit in your Pentax, so you can demonstrate the camera not to be at fault, possibly best return the "faulty" units and shop around for a brand with a better fit.
Spot on. All my cards fit well, tho on the K3III and K1 they seem to be more fitted than on the K-70. Some a bit looser/tighter but all easy to insert except the Sony Tough UHS-II's. I have two of them and both are the same, really snug to the point I'm very cautious putting them in to make sure I don't accidentally jam it by not aligning perfectly.
03-24-2022, 06:21 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
In the words of Arkwright - 'Ji-ji-jiggle it a bit'.
Nurse Gladys was good for that
03-24-2022, 06:42 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Even a bit snug, with the insertion method I found overnight I know I will never have any real problem with my SanDisk and I hope it may help others sometime in the future right here on this forum. That said, all your comments helped me a lot. Thanks to you all!
03-24-2022, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #12
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I just took a close look at my SanDisk card. The label/sticker is rather thick. I bet if you remove it (not really asking you to), the SD card will slide into the slot easier.
05-01-2022, 12:18 PM - 2 Likes   #13

Some slots are looser than others
'Ji-ji-jiggle it a bit'.
This is turning into a love story! Ha !!!!!
05-01-2022, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Webstormer Quote
Whay do you mean exactly by that?

---------- Post added 03-23-22 at 09:05 PM ----------

I think I found the explanation myself, Looking inside the SD card slot with my powerfull flashlight I noticed that there is two ( one on each side of the slot ) kind of alignment bumpers and one has to move the card gently from one side to another, forward/backward until rhe card passes those bumpers. I tested the method 3 times and it works flawlessly. I also looked closely to my card and there is nothing wrong with it.
Yes, I discovered this same thing with my KS2. I was worried at first, then found it was OK!! Enjoy your camera! My son has a K-70 and it really is the cat’s pajamas!!