Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2022, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum; great to have you with us!

QuoteOriginally posted by Landberg Quote
I noticed that the image quality when uploading isn’t that good. Am I doing something wrong?
Not exactly, you just need to tweak the image dimensions. If you look at the EXIF properties of your original images (View Picture EXIF), you'll see that toward the bottom the JPEG quality is shown as 85. Assuming you save your jpegs at 100% image quality on your computer, the PF website is compressing them and reducing image quality. Your images are 900 pixels high. I've found that if I keep my posted images to no more than 1200pix wide x 800pix high, PF does not compress them, they stay at 100%, and look much better. Try cropping one of your images to 800 pix high, change the filename slightly, and post it again. Then 'View Picture EXIF' and see if it's 100%.

08-01-2022, 03:20 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Welcome to an amazing forum and a special brand.

Your idea to document the footsteps of your father's past is a great idea. Definitely something you could culminate in a photo book with text.

Although the K1ii is a great full frame camera for low light photography and wide angle landscapes or shallow depth of field shots, the images you shared shows a lot of telephoto and great depth of field which is well served with your APS-C sensor. Maybe consider the K3iii with total compatibility with your current lenses?
Pentax K-3 III vs Pentax K-70 Detailed Comparison.
Thank you for your thoughts. I’m not planing on replacing my K-70, just adding another Pentax camera. The K1 seems like a good option. But you have a good point.
08-02-2022, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you're enjoying your new equipment but those images look really grainy for ISO 100 or 200. Are you perhaps adding grain to the image (some cameras can do this, not sure about the K70)?

I also noticed that some are in a lot of Flickr groups where they don't belong: KP, K-5, K1 etc. The other users of those groups may not be happy.
08-02-2022, 10:53 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you're enjoying your new equipment but those images look really grainy for ISO 100 or 200. Are you perhaps adding grain to the image (some cameras can do this, not sure about the K70)?

I also noticed that some are in a lot of Flickr groups where they don't belong: KP, K-5, K1 etc. The other users of those groups may not be happy.
Hi! I add grain to all my photos.

Well, i’ll check that out

08-02-2022, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi! I add grain to all my photos.

Well, i’ll check that out
Interesting. If you like the grain aesthetic, have you considered an older lower megapixel camera? It'll save you a step
Everyone pays a premium just to get grain free....
08-02-2022, 02:56 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Interesting. If you like the grain aesthetic, have you considered an older lower megapixel camera? It'll save you a step
Everyone pays a premium just to get grain free....
My GRII is my most used camera. That sensor is from 2013, lovely grain. Except for the Ricoh GR/GRII i don’t know many digital cameras that have nice looking grain straight out of camera, so I add it in post.
08-29-2022, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

My GRII is my most used camera. That sensor is from 2013, lovely grain. Except for the Ricoh GR/GRII i don’t know many digital cameras that have nice looking grain straight out of camera, so I add it in post.
The best digital "grain" I've seen is on my KP for sure. The K-5 series is nice but can get obtrusive fast. The next best I've seen is actually the k-01.

Shot from the KP:

08-29-2022, 06:12 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Own both KP and K-70. Actually don't use the K-70 much any more as one body is usually sufficient and a lot of my pics are while hiking where 2 bodies gets to be a real hassle.

However, as stated above, you won't see much if any differences between the KP and K-70 under most all shooting conditions, however the KP is a lot more tweakable if that's your thing.
09-30-2022, 01:48 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
The best digital "grain" I've seen is on my KP for sure. The K-5 series is nice but can get obtrusive fast. The next best I've seen is actually the k-01.

Shot from the KP:

The KP should be (and is) pretty close to the GRIII/GRIIIx in terms of hi-ISO grain. It's a function of the sensor paired with the accelerator unit. The GRI/GRII had a much more bitey, technically "worse" kind of grain, unless what you were looking for was something that looks like film. In which case, the GRII was awesome.