Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #1

K70 Live View for Astrophotography

Hey fellow Pentaxians,
i use the K-70 for about 2 Weeks now, and so far im very impressed by the capability and results of this little Powerhouse.
But one thing keeps me bothering everytime i go outside at night, which is the LiveView for focussing on Stars.
I can barely see any Stars in Live View, only the brightest like Daneb or Planets like Jupiter / Saturn. I already tried raising the ISO to 102.000 and didnt get better results. I understand that the 3.5 of my Kit Lens doesnt let much light in, so i tried it with the 50mm F1.8 and almost the same results. So far for Focussing i dont see that much of a problem, since there is always a bright star around, but for framing the Object its kinda tricky. Wide Field 18mm or 50mm is still handable but as soon i go to 300mm on my Sigma 70-300 its almost impossible to find M31 the Andromeda Galaxy. On my old Bridge Camera from Panasonic (which really sucks in general) i was easily able to see the core of M31 and could easily frame up my shot. Is there any possibility to raise the exposure of the Live View like the Exposure Simulation or Canon or Sony Cameras? I couldnt find any option for that in the Menus, or i´m just blind ^^
Any help would be great.
Thanks and clear skies
Flo

08-12-2022, 03:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What mode are you in? Some modes disable the exposure preview and make it easier to frame.

---------- Post added 08-12-22 at 06:46 PM ----------

K-70 external flashes and live view preview of the scene. - PentaxForums.com
08-12-2022, 04:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
I´m in M Mode for Astro every time.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What mode are you in? Some modes disable the exposure preview and make it easier to frame.

---------- Post added 08-12-22 at 06:46 PM ----------

K-70 external flashes and live view preview of the scene. - PentaxForums.com
08-12-2022, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by florianschollbrock Quote
I´m in M Mode for Astro every time.
M mode with auto aperture is going to turn on the exposure preview mode which makes it very dark. Unless you use an aperture ring off “A” mode you can’t turn off preview. Try switching to X or another mode mentioned in the thread linked.

08-12-2022, 04:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
M mode with auto aperture is going to turn on the exposure preview mode which makes it very dark. Unless you use an aperture ring off “A” mode you can’t turn off preview. Try switching to X or another mode mentioned in the thread linked.
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try it out.
08-12-2022, 10:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Unfortunately the "Astrophoto" mode does tend to dim the LiveView display, though the final results are worth the effort if you're working straight to JPG.
I've taken to setting up, framing and focussing without Astrophoto enabled, at a very high ISO sensitivity to maximise the display detail, then switching to Astrophoto at the last minute for the final exposure.
Working with a wide-aperture lens also helps a great deal.
Old-school manual-focus prime lenses of f/2 or f/2.8 or thereabouts can be found quite cheaply and can put a lot more light into the camera for setup, even if they are stopped down for the final exposure.
Good luck
08-14-2022, 12:05 AM   #7
Forum Member

If it is just focussing thats an issue then Deneb, Vega, Capella and Jupiter are ideal. I swing around to these bright stars and set the focus on them before moving back to the target, you do not have to set focus using the target itself

The real issue I have with the K-70 live view is seeing the actual target in live view or indeed seeing any of the dimmer stars around the target to identify where the target is. Many frustrating hours were spent missing the target until I switched to a mount with GoTo capability and used a Raspberry Pi to plate solve the location

08-15-2022, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlines Quote
If it is just focussing thats an issue then Deneb, Vega, Capella and Jupiter are ideal. I swing around to these bright stars and set the focus on them before moving back to the target, you do not have to set focus using the target itself

The real issue I have with the K-70 live view is seeing the actual target in live view or indeed seeing any of the dimmer stars around the target to identify where the target is. Many frustrating hours were spent missing the target until I switched to a mount with GoTo capability and used a Raspberry Pi to plate solve the location

Well past weekend i used brighter Stars for Focussing aswell and it works like a charm. I did find a Target Solution aswell. It is a little bit more work to do, but if you cant afford a GoTo Mount it will work. Connect the K70 to your Android Smartphone (dont know if IOS has the needed App aswell) and download the Astrometry.net App from Play Store. Take a short Test Exposure of 1 Sec at ISO 51200 in JPG, send the JPG to your Smartphone and then upload it in the app. It usualy takes about 1-2 Minutes till its plate solved. Its not as accurate as Goto, but does a decent job for free.
08-20-2022, 01:59 PM   #9
Forum Member

I find zooming the lens in and using focus peaking helps. Some zoom lenses will go out of focus, if you zoom in to get focus and then zoom out.So If I'm using a long zoom I find a focal length to use, and set the lens at that length, and then find focus with live view and focus peaking.
And obviously using the zoom function in live view, with the OK button and wheel dial to zoom in.
08-31-2022, 10:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by florianschollbrock Quote
Is there any possibility to raise the exposure of the Live View
Perhaps adjust Outdoor View Settings (in the "wrench" 2 menu, see page 110 of the downloadable manual))