Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2022, 01:04 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 11
k-70 Live View preview image doesn't work.

I turn the camera on. The standby screen appears. I press the shutter way down. I can hear the whir of the camera find focus and it beeps. The live view screen stays blank- it doesn’t show the preview image like it did before. I fire the shutter, and a live view image of the photograph I just took fills the live view screen. So, the focus, shutter and live view screen work.

I’ve tried re-seting the camera, turning every function on and off, and I still don’t get the preview image on the live view screen. The battery is fully charged. The camera is about 1 month old.


Last edited by Aaron6427; 08-13-2022 at 01:06 PM. Reason: missing separating spaces between words
08-13-2022, 01:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian
AfterPentax Mark II's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1,146
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron6427 Quote
I turn the camera on. The standby screen appears. I press the shutter way down. I can hear the whir of the camera find focus and it beeps. The live view screen stays blank- it doesn’t show the preview image like it did before. I fire the shutter, and a live view image of the photograph I just took fills the live view screen. So, the focus, shutter and live view screen work.

I’ve tried re-seting the camera, turning every function on and off, and I still don’t get the preview image on the live view screen. The battery is fully charged. The camera is about 1 month old.
After you turn the camera on, you first have to choose LiveView and only then press the shutter halfway, just like all other Pentax's. When turning on the camera is always set to OVF, not LiveView. If you push the button the image you then see is not in LiveView, it is just projected on the LCD which now has the function of monitor. I think you are confusing the workings of the LCD, please look this up in the manual.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 08-13-2022 at 02:16 PM.
08-13-2022, 02:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,229
What you may inadvertently have done is to turn OFF the screen on the rear of the camera. Press the INFO button on the rear of the camera and select the left most option to return the screen to its normal state.

Regards

Chris
08-13-2022, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,949
You're apparently in optical viewfinder mode. In that mode, the camera can't display a preview image because the sensor is blocked by the mirror which is diverting the image to the optical VF.
As mentioned, switching to Liveview mode will kill the optical viewfinder but allow the preview to take place on the LCD (mirror is up and the sensor can see what the lens sees - now the optical VF can't). The solution has been explained above - use Liveview mode and you will get a preview image on the LCD.

08-14-2022, 10:29 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 11
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
What you may inadvertently have done is to turn OFF the screen on the rear of the camera. Press the INFO button on the rear of the camera and select the left most option to return the screen to its normal state.

Regards

Chris
Thanks. I had turned the screen off. But, turning the screen back on (outdoor view setting) has no effect.

---------- Post added 08-14-22 at 10:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
You're apparently in optical viewfinder mode. In that mode, the camera can't display a preview image because the sensor is blocked by the mirror which is diverting the image to the optical VF.
As mentioned, switching to Liveview mode will kill the optical viewfinder but allow the preview to take place on the LCD (mirror is up and the sensor can see what the lens sees - now the optical VF can't). The solution has been explained above - use Liveview mode and you will get a preview image on the LCD.
Yes. I have autofocus with the viewfinder on (AFA, spot meter) and autofocus in live view on (AFA, spot meter). I don't seem to have the option to turn either the autofocus with viewfinder or autofocus with live view off. only change available is AFA, AFC, AFS.
08-14-2022, 11:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,863
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron6427 Quote
Thanks. I had turned the screen off. But, turning the screen back on (outdoor view setting) has no effect.

---------- Post added 08-14-22 at 10:59 AM ----------


Yes. I have autofocus with the viewfinder on (AFA, spot meter) and autofocus in live view on (AFA, spot meter). I don't seem to have the option to turn either the autofocus with viewfinder or autofocus with live view off. only change available is AFA, AFC, AFS.
All you need to do to see a preview on the rear screen is to select "live view"

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
afa, autofocus, camera, image, k-70, k-70 live view, k70, lcd, live, mode, pentax k-70, preview, screen, shutter, view, view preview image, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
live view exposure preview dr5chrome Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 17 12-17-2021 09:53 AM
K-70 external flashes and live view preview of the scene. taktoon Pentax K-70 & KF 20 04-18-2021 05:25 AM
live view noise and smc dfa 100mm f2.8 macro lens not focusing in live view tommygunn84 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 11-24-2016 08:59 PM
Typical live view humming, when not in live view. lightsource Pentax K-1 & K-1 II 8 05-05-2016 02:20 AM
on my old *ist DS photo preview doesn't work any more antoniomontag Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 01-13-2015 11:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top