Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2022, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
...I still like my 18-135 more; unless space in a bag is really constrained. It is very light which is helpful also.
It is a far better lens than I had expected it to be. It's now one of the two lenses (55-300 is the other) always stowed in my truck with a K-70.

Good advice Uncle.

EDIT: since I neglected to mention which body I'd choose for you to spend YOUR money on...

I think you should stick with your original plan and the K3III. The K-70 is a fine choice, and one I still own and like very much, but I'd also not consider going with a used camera at this point after deciding on new which puts the KP on the outside looking in.

You've saved for the K3III, done due diligence, and unless budget is a serious consideration I wouldn't waver from your original decision. If new features/improvements are coming down the pike, and I expect there are, they'll be heading for the newest model.

Buying the K3III you won't be second-guessing yourself this time next year and wondering what if. You can never be sure where your photography journey will take you.

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-23-2022 at 11:13 AM.
08-23-2022, 10:40 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was hesitant to suggest a KP, but that is definitely a worthy model and I might place it ahead of a K70 for you. Relax and be confident of two things:

1) Whatever camera you select, you'll get images that are 100% satisfactory.
2) Whatever camera you select, you'll never stop fretting if one of the others was a better choice.
08-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Relax and be confident of two things:

1) Whatever camera you select, you'll get images that are 100% satisfactory.

2) Whatever camera you select, you'll never stop fretting if one of the others was a better choice.
Truer words have rarely been posted.
08-24-2022, 01:31 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello Dinah, as I went from a K-10D to a K-70 in 2019 I would like to share some topic, that stayed in my mind from this and might help you in your decision.
For your information, I also own a K-1 (first issue) since half a year and I do not own the K-3iii.

First of all, the K-70 is a very capable camera and my trusted workhorse nowadays. Second, image quality should be no concern in your decision. Coming from the K-10D, there is really not a big difference between those cameras mentioned in this thread (K-3iii, KP, K-70). Third I do not think weight should be your concern. The K-10D is between the K-70 and the K-3iii and the difference between those is about 100 gr..

I did struggle with the handling of the K-70 for over a year, it is much more menu depend, then that of the K-10D and the K-70 misses some buttons compared with the K-10D. My K-1 is closer to the K-3iii in handling and it is much more fun, although I now know my K-70 by heart and have to search for the functions in my K-1. That said, the K-10D is a much simpler camera than even the K-70 and either you choose it or the K-3iii you will feel going from a Volkswagen Beetle to a lunar rocket. But I would say the basic handling will be better on the K-3iii with more knobs (not knowing it, it is a guess based on my K-1).

The K-3iii lacks the articulated screen of the K-70, which is very handy for working near the ground. As you are doing macros, this might be the crucial issue for you.

I am quite happy with the autofocus of the K-70, its accuracy is excellent even under low light. But if I would buy the K-3iii (I won't, I have enough DSLR), then for it's autofocus system. Not only for its speed and accuracy on moving subjects, but for its coverage of the frame. The first Pentax DSLR with autofocus points at the edge of the viewfinder! Then, do not forget it has eye detection which will help you in people photography a lot.

As you are allready content with spending the money for the K-3iii I would be inclined to recommend you the K-3iii. It is just the newer and better camera.

There is an if in that recommendation. And that is, if you own appropriate lenses. It is a huge step in image quality from the K-10D to either the K-70 or K-3iii and to get that image quality out of those, you need the lenses to let them shine. So as an extreme example, if your standard lens is the 18-55 now and you can not afford buying the K-3iii and some lens like the 16-85, I would very very strongly recommend you to buy the K-70 and the 16-85 (or a more expensive).
So would you please let us know which lenses you own to give you some more things to ponder on ?

A Comparison of the cameras you will find here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-3+I...c3=Pentax+K10D

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 08-24-2022 at 01:37 AM.
08-24-2022, 05:06 AM - 5 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A huge thank you to everyone on this post for taking the time to give me your detailed thoughts, ideas and tips on which camera I should go for.
I certainly wasn't expecting so many responses all of which have given me lots to think about and consider. Thank you.

I hope that in writing this you will receive notification that this comment has been added. But I will also reply to each of you individually.

Yesterday afternoon, I took my K10 out for a walk with an SMC Pentax-M 1:4 200mm lens attached just to see how I felt about it but got only okay pictures and so decided time to let it go and put the camera up for sale, time to move on from there.

With this and given all the advice I've received above, I will no longer consider the K70 but some suggested considering the KP which also has excellent reviews (all Pentax has great reviews - what am I taking about!!!)

So what I will do is pop along to Park Cameras with both models in store and have a play with them, see which one makes my eyes sparkle.

Again, many many thanks to all of you, your comments are really very much appreciated.
08-24-2022, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #36
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoLady Quote
A huge thank you to everyone on this post for taking the time to give me your detailed thoughts, ideas and tips on which camera I should go for.
I certainly wasn't expecting so many responses all of which have given me lots to think about and consider. Thank you.

I hope that in writing this you will receive notification that this comment has been added. But I will also reply to each of you individually.

Yesterday afternoon, I took my K10 out for a walk with an SMC Pentax-M 1:4 200mm lens attached just to see how I felt about it but got only okay pictures and so decided time to let it go and put the camera up for sale, time to move on from there.

With this and given all the advice I've received above, I will no longer consider the K70 but some suggested considering the KP which also has excellent reviews (all Pentax has great reviews - what am I taking about!!!)

So what I will do is pop along to Park Cameras with both models in store and have a play with them, see which one makes my eyes sparkle.

Again, many many thanks to all of you, your comments are really very much appreciated.
I have the KP and think you will love it. But there again you might love the K-70!
I am also amazed that Park Cameras still have new stock for the KP because it was discontinued last year!

PS If you do go for the KP ask if they have the one with three interchangeable grips.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 08-24-2022 at 05:28 AM. Reason: more info.
08-24-2022, 06:34 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever camera you select, may your exposures be perfect and your compositions brilliant. Live long and prosper.

08-24-2022, 07:17 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

This post REALLY makes me wonder about your lens situation and whether you should direct your cash only to body or perhaps to allocate some portion to lens lineup.
08-24-2022, 07:06 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What lenses do you have?
08-25-2022, 03:09 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Hi Dinah,
You mentioned you have some lenses already. In that case, I would go for the K3III. It is a more up-to-date platform to build on. Manual legacy lenses are fine but depending on how old your AF lenses are, you might need to save some money for newer lenses that are better matched with the K3III. It would be nice for the forum members to know what AF lenses you have, so that they can make lens recommendations too. Just my two cents!

Thank you - it's worth much more than two cents.

Have had quite a few suggest the KP as a possibility, I did some research on it and think I have to agree this would be the best option. I also then found that Park Cameras nearby are selling a PK at a very good price and with a very low shuttercount so I have reserved it and will go and get a feel of it tomorrow. The price is just under £700.00 which gives me enough left over to invest in one good quality, all-round AF lens.

It would be nice for the forum members to know what AF lenses you have, so that they can make lens recommendations too.

That's a lovely idea, thank you very much as any tip would be very helpful.

So here they are and all pretty much older ones.

SMC Pentax F Zoom 3.5-4.5 35-70 mm
SMC Pentax DA 3.5-5.6 18-55 mm AL
SMC Pentax DA 4-5.6 50-200 mm ED WR
Pentax Power Zoom FA 3.5-4.7 20-80mm Came with the Z20

Again, many thanks
Dinah
08-25-2022, 03:23 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you would be quite happy with a KP. The K-3 III is really nice and would be an amazing jump in quality and speed over your current camera body as well. I would recommend either.

As far as lenses go, I would really think about looking at either the DA 18-135 or the DA 16-85 as nice walk around lenses. They will be a step up from what you have currently and have a nice flexible range. If you do much telephoto, the DA 55-300mm PLM would be a big step up from you current 50-200 as well.

Maybe a last thing would be to think about a prime -- just choose one of the DA limiteds and get a used copy of it on the marketplace or wherever. They are small, very nice lenses that are so much fun to use.
08-25-2022, 04:23 AM   #42
dlhawes

My wife would say, buy both of them and try them on, and send back the one that doesn't fit.
My vote would be for the KP, as well. The K3iii is overkill, in my opinion - too much whiz bang that isn't needed and only makes things more complex. Unless, of course, you need the lightning fast frames-per-second thing.
08-25-2022, 05:57 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you - it's worth much more than two cents.

Have had quite a few suggest the KP as a possibility, I did some research on it and think I have to agree this would be the best option. I also then found that Park Cameras nearby are selling a PK at a very good price and with a very low shuttercount so I have reserved it and will go and get a feel of it tomorrow. The price is just under £700.00 which gives me enough left over to invest in one good quality, all-round AF lens.

It would be nice for the forum members to know what AF lenses you have, so that they can make lens recommendations too.

That's a lovely idea, thank you very much as any tip would be very helpful.

So here they are and all pretty much older ones.

SMC Pentax F Zoom 3.5-4.5 35-70 mm
SMC Pentax DA 3.5-5.6 18-55 mm AL
SMC Pentax DA 4-5.6 50-200 mm ED WR
Pentax Power Zoom FA 3.5-4.7 20-80mm Came with the Z20

Again, many thanks
Dinah
With this list of lenses the KP makes the most sense. What types of images are you finding your current lenses don’t give you the best opportunity for? What lenses do you wish were “better”?
08-25-2022, 06:43 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello Dinah,

first short comments to lenses you have alread:
- SMC Pentax F Zoom 3.5-4.5 35-70 mm
This is a good lens, small, light. The macro-function isn't really macro but close-up.

- SMC Pentax DA 3.5-5.6 18-55 mm AL
This was the Kit-lens you got with your K10D. It is really outdated. The worst of all DSLR kitlenses ever!
The later 18-55II or the WR version where better.

- SMC Pentax DA 4-5.6 50-200 mm ED WR
Some had better experiences with it, I cannot really comment on it, never tried it for long enough.

- Pentax Power Zoom FA 3.5-4.7 20-80mm Came with the Z20
Must be 28-80 and not 20-80!
Heavy and the worst of all of them. But you can use it as a doorstopper or paperweigh
t

So the lenses I recommend:

Cheaper but very good for the money:
Zooms:
- Sigma 17-70 2,8 (HSM not really necessary, makes it quiet but heavier) (There is a Tamron 17-50/2,8 supposed to be good but I never tried it)

- SMC Pentax DA16-45/4 (one of my favourite zooms, on the K70 and KP it shows what it can do, one of the few zooms I use myself)
- SMC F-70-210/4-5.6 (better than the Kit 50-200 as I know from a friend)

Primes:
- SMC Pentax DA35/2,4
- SMC Pentax DA50/1,8 (I prefer the SMC F50/1,7)

pricier but ... worth it:
Zooms:
- SMC Pentax DA20-40/2,8 limited (one of the three zooms I use) limited zoom range but really great quality.
Well, you have almost a DA21/DA35/DA40 in one lens!

- SMC Pentax DA55-300 ED PLM (the other of the three zooms I use): super fast and light enough

primes:
- FA43limited (quite a beast, needs some attention as it can be a bitch... but a very special one)
(I would add the DA*55/1,4 SDM but it often, and don't listen to any others advice who claim it doesn't fail,... it often has failure of the SDM motor and then it is an expensive but wonderful non-AF lens!)
- DA15 limited (nice light superwideangle) (DA14/2,8 is great as well, as good as the DA15ltd.)
- DA35/2,8 macro (one of my most used lenses, great 35mm standard angle, superb macro but a bit slow AF because it is a macro and thus:
every macro has a long focus-throw.

- D-FA100/2,8 macro WR (now cheaper as a new version shows up)

In a way with just a DA16-45/4 and a DA55-300 PLM you can do a lot!

Last edited by photogem; 08-25-2022 at 10:51 AM.
08-25-2022, 11:18 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Hello Dinah,

- Sigma 17-70 2,8 (HSM not really necessary, makes it quiet but heavier) (There is a Tamron 17-50/2,8 supposed to be good but I never tried it)
There exist both sigma 17-70 f2,8..f4.0 and sigma 18-50 f2.8. Both are excellent, I have both and I like both...sometimes I prefer range and sometimes light/aperture.
Both in hsm motor and older screwdrive focus system versions. All are optically excellent, but I prefer the fast and silent hsm focus.

I started with a screwdrive 18-50 long ago, added more recently a 17-70 hsm , liked it so much that i upgraded finally to 18-50 hsm version. Call me fan of these sigma’s.
Secondhand relative easy to find...New not anymore except maybe a last 17-70 in a lost corner of a shop....

Can not comment on tamron, never had it.

Last edited by mlag; 08-29-2022 at 09:55 AM.