Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2022, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Congratulations on your new camera! The KP is the best camera in the universe!!. I know you meant a 17-70 lens, but just for fun, let’s imagine a 17-700 lens…wow, what a lens!! Happy shooting!!
Thank you, I am already totally in love with it. Have a great week-end.

---------- Post added 09-02-22 at 11:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Very good choice, KP anyway and the latest Sigma 17-70 macro HSM Contemorary as well!
I had the Sigma for a little time and liked it very much, good 1:3 Macro but one has to go pretty close to the object unlike other others at 70mm because of the internal focus.
As you like Macro, maybe one day you want to buy a good 1:1 Macro, such as the now cheaper D-FA100/2,8 MacroWR which is a fantastic prime in every respect, super sharp, WR, when installed on the KP you have the feeling they belong to each other.

But make sure it is the WR version, the older non-WR is plastic fantastic and not worth more than 90 pounds. (I think it is a Tamron anyway).
Then I would prefer the Sigma 105 Macro (or the 70mm which is rare and such quite dear).

I am sure you will have lots of fun.
Thank you - did I mention I returned the used Sigma17-70 because I found a brand new one for not that much more and with a 3-year guarantee. Made me very happy.

As for Macro, I do have a beautiful Macro-Takumar 1.4/50mm M42 mount plus a good M42-PK adaptor, as well as other vintage Takumars and Pentax, so for now, no more spending.
Thank you though very much for your advice above on lenses and also for all your comments, it has been appreciated very much.

And yes, lots of fun I know I will have.
Have a great weekend

---------- Post added 09-02-22 at 11:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Congratulations - the KP is a very nice camera. Make a point of carrying 1 or 2 spare batteries around with you. You may or may not want to invest in a battery grip. That would give you two batteries in camera, and a place to store a spare SD card. Also gives a second shutter button in a very convenient position for when you wish to shoot in a vertical orientation. But it will give a different feel to the camera in hand, which you may or may not like.
Have fun!
Thank you for the tip, the camera came with a boxed spare battery but I will order another. I won't go with the battery grip, I love how this camera feels in my hands, small and very comfortable and spares can always fit in my camera bag.

Have a great weekend

09-03-2022, 09:04 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoLady Quote
As for Macro, I do have a beautiful Macro-Takumar 1.4/50mm M42 mount plus a good M42-PK adaptor, as well as other vintage Takumars and Pentax, so for now, no more spending.
F4 right?
09-03-2022, 10:06 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are several 1.4/50mm Takumar lenses.

There are 2 versions of the 50mm Macro-Takumar:

- very rare and special 1:1 "preset" Macro-Takumar:
https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_4176.html#prettyPhoto

My Top 5 MF lenses - #1 - Macro-Takumar 1:4/50 | The late 19? | Flickr
It has two (preset) aperturerings on its front!

- the later and still excellent 1:2 Macro-Takumar:
S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

With the normal aperture-ring and the usual switch for M and Auto.

Both are f4,0 but particular with the KP a slower aperture isn't any problem.

I had both and of course the early 1:1 is "more macro" as it does double magnification.
But both are great lenses and one pays a hefty price for the early 1:1 version.
I sold mine for the SMC F50/2,8macro because I prefer metering for Av or Tav or M (but with an A-Ring and A-position)
09-04-2022, 07:11 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You won’t regret the K3iii, especially if you shoot birds or anything else that requires quicker auto focus.
I still very much prefer my KP to a K70 though - more rugged body all around, and truly amazing IQ and dynamic range! That K70 screen in particular is just begging to be snappped off (unless you need it for vlogging etc), the tilting screen is way more practical and durable - still stymied why the K3 doesn’t have a tilt screen, that’s the main reason I don’t own one - aside from the fact I got my new condition (under 500 shots) KP for way cheap that is!
Anyway, I’d go for the K3iii without hesitation over a K70, but would also check local sites and “amazon regret” stores for a good KP if quick AF isn’t a must have

09-04-2022, 07:13 AM   #80
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
You won’t regret the K3iii, especially if you shoot birds or anything else that requires quicker auto focus.
I still very much prefer my KP to a K70 though - more rugged body all around, and truly amazing IQ and dynamic range! That K70 screen in particular is just begging to be snappped off (unless you need it for vlogging etc), the tilting screen is way more practical and durable - still stymied why the K3 doesn’t have a tilt screen, that’s the main reason I don’t own one - aside from the fact I got my new condition (under 500 shots) KP for way cheap that is!
Anyway, I’d go for the K3iii without hesitation over a K70, but would also check local sites and “amazon regret” stores for a good KP if quick AF isn’t a must have
She has already bought a KP...
09-04-2022, 07:14 AM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please Help Me Choose - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

She elected to buy a KP.
09-05-2022, 01:47 AM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Being confident that you made the right choice for YOU is a wonderful feeling isn't it?

Now get out there and enjoy! Your next lens is going to be the 55-300. Combined with the Sigma you just bought you'll have a great range covered.
Thank you, I am sure I will.

---------- Post added 09-05-22 at 01:52 AM ----------

Thank you - as two members have pointed out, I ended up very happily with the KP, mint condition used at an excellent price.

---------- Post added 09-05-22 at 02:13 AM ----------

There are several 1.4/50mm Takumar lenses.

There are 2 versions of the 50mm Macro-Takumar:

- very rare and special 1:1 "preset" Macro-Takumar:
https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_4176.html#prettyPhoto

S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

With the normal aperture-ring and the usual switch for M and Auto.

Both are f4,0 but particular with the KP a slower aperture isn't any problem.

I had both and of course the early 1:1 is "more macro" as it does double magnification.
But both are great lenses and one pays a hefty price for the early 1:1 version.
I sold mine for the SMC F50/2,8macro because I prefer metering for Av or Tav or M (but with an A-Ring and A-position)

I have that very same #1 lens with 2 aperture rings you have mentioned and have taken some excellent shots with it.
The others I have are
S-M-C MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50 1 aperture ring
S-M-C TAKUMAR 1:1.8/85
Super-Takumar 1:3.5/28
S-M-C TAKUMA 1:4/200
all of the M42 mounts and all have been lovely to use with super results on my various film cameras as well as my Canon EOS 70d

It's a different world shooting through these beautiful vintages, isn't it?

Thank you again

09-06-2022, 05:49 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have that very same #1 lens with 2 aperture rings you have mentioned and have taken some excellent shots with it.
The others I have are
S-M-C MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50 1 aperture ring
S-M-C TAKUMAR 1:1.8/85
Super-Takumar 1:3.5/28
S-M-C TAKUMAR 1:4/200
all of the M42 mounts and all have been lovely to use with super results on my various film cameras as well as my Canon EOS 70d
Very nice selection, particular the S-M-C Takumar 1:1,8/85, I have the Super-Takumar version: 1:1:9/85.
So with the KP new to be discovered.

There are two ways you can use them, but make sure that they are connected the right way:

Why is the Auto/Man diaphragm clutch stuck on my S-M-C Takumar lens? (there's a pin!) - PentaxForums.com
Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

I have purchased several M42 adapters like THIS ONE
I took the tiny spring off and screwed each on my M42-lens and tightened it very strong. This way it is like a K-mount lens and I don't have to fiddle with the adapter everytime I want to install a M42-lens (I did it with all my M42-lenses!)

They mount differently because they have an extra quarter turn but this is only optics!

For my best Takumars, the 8-Element Super Takumar 50/1,4 I use the original Pentax M42 Adapter, but I never encountered any difficulties with those from China if used this way.