Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2022, 07:26 AM   #1

New K-70 Purchased

I got a deal on a barely used K-70 for a bit of $300.

I've worked with the K-50 and the K-1 so I am not new to the Pentax lineup.

That said, you guys have had what, six years to play with the K70.

Anything I should know that one may not know initially when shooting with it, etc?

Cheers

10-23-2022, 09:19 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Read the manual … thoroughly … the K-70 is a comprehensive camera, it's well worthwhile being at least aware of it's extensive capabilities.
The K-70 is also very configurable.
Again, work through the manual to find the features you consider of value, include them on the Control Panel and/or make notes, so's you can find them again when you want/need them
The three supplied User Modes are over-writeable (and easily reverted to default), so if you don't immediately need Astrotracer, for example, you can re-use that position on the dial for one of your own preferred configurations.
The back of the camera can be a little cramped, leading to inadvertent invocation of Drive Modes or similar. It can be useful to re-allocate the functionality of the 4-way controller using the C18 Menu setting.
Enjoy
10-23-2022, 02:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Read the manual … thoroughly … the K-70 is a comprehensive camera, it's well worthwhile being at least aware of it's extensive capabilities.
The K-70 is also very configurable.
Again, work through the manual to find the features you consider of value, include them on the Control Panel and/or make notes, so's you can find them again when you want/need them
The three supplied User Modes are over-writeable (and easily reverted to default), so if you don't immediately need Astrotracer, for example, you can re-use that position on the dial for one of your own preferred configurations.
The back of the camera can be a little cramped, leading to inadvertent invocation of Drive Modes or similar. It can be useful to re-allocate the functionality of the 4-way controller using the C18 Menu setting.
Enjoy
Thanks for the reply Kypfer! I remember when I had a K-1 it took probably 6 months to really get down and delve into all the features. I am looking forward to shooting again. It's been about 3 years.
10-24-2022, 09:10 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Read the manual … thoroughly …
I don't know if it is still the case, but when I bought my K-70 it was packed with a start manual. What you want to read thoroughly is the full operation manual. The US version is on the Ricoh/Pentax site at:

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-70.pdf

10-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Numbers can be deceptive. Apparently the K-50 wasn't much of an upgrade to the K-30, but going from the K-50 to K-70 is a major step up. Higher resolution, upgrade from 12 bit to 14 bit RAW, adjustable screen, wifi, pixel-shift.
Only thing that might be a negative compared to K-50 is no AA battery adapter although the battery is the same, so either buy a spare, or remember to charge your battery before you go out.
10-24-2022, 09:20 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
... so either buy a spare, or remember to charge your battery before you go out.
My spare battery gets a good workout. I swap it in and charge the other one before every planned photographic outing, and have managed to run down one during long outings.
10-26-2022, 01:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had my K-70 for just over a year now with a mix of Takumars and various Pentax lenses (primes & zooms). I have probably tapped into about 15% of this camera's capabilities so far and find it a terrific camera for my limited level of DSLR expertise. I found Yvon Bourque's K-70 manual to be of great help, it is available for purchase from the Forum. On the battery front, I purchased two spares and that's more than enough capacity for my outings.

10-26-2022, 02:40 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by JR-70 Quote
I have probably tapped into about 15% of this camera's capabilities so far and find it a terrific camera for my limited level of DSLR expertise.
I began using SLRs more than fifty years ago. I bought my K-70 almost five years ago but have still explored only a portion of its capabilities. I consider the K-70 to be an excellent camera for the advanced amateur photographer.

I found Yvon Bourque's K-70 manual to be of great help, it is available for purchase from the Forum.
I bought my copy early on and it was a very worthwhile investment.

On the battery front, I purchased two spares and that's more than enough capacity for my outings.
Two are sufficient for me as I carry an AC inverter in the Explorer, so after I switch to a fresh battery I can recharge the other one (the charger lives in my camera bag).