Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Raw+jpeg B&W and colour

Is there a way i can shoot say jpeg in B&W and colour in RAW or vise versa?
Thanks

11-21-2022, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can save a User mode to do it, simple set camera to Raw+ , set your custom jpeg to monochrome, the jpeg will B+W the RAW will always be RAW, so in colour for developing in post.
11-21-2022, 03:11 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shedendman Quote
Is there a way i can shoot say jpeg in B&W and colour in RAW or vise versa?
Thanks
And you don't even need to create a User profile. Just shoot in RAW+ and then choose the Monochrome profile (from the right button on the four-way controller). The jpegs will be B&W and the Raw files will be color (as always).
11-21-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
You can save a User mode to do it, simple set camera to Raw+ , set your custom jpeg to monochrome, the jpeg will B+W the RAW will always be RAW, so in colour for developing in post.
Bloody hell,that it,cool mate cheers

---------- Post added 21-11-22 at 22:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
And you don't even need to create a User profile. Just shoot in RAW+ and then choose the Monochrome profile (from the right button on the four-way controller). The jpegs will be B&W and the Raw files will be color (as always).
top man thanks

---------- Post added 21-11-22 at 22:21 ----------

Guys,one more thing,that with any lens,atm i'm using a vintage lens

11-21-2022, 03:43 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shedendman Quote
Guys,one more thing,that with any lens,atm i'm using a vintage lens
Yes. The lens does not matter.

The thing to remember is that when your camera first records image data it is in raw data. Zeros and ones like any other computer binary code.

If you set your camera to record JPEG only, that data is converted into an image file, a JPEG. The raw data is then discarded as soon as you take another shot, and you are left with the image file...a JPEG

If you set your camera to record JPEG + raw both files are recorded on the card. You can use the raw data file to create another image, either in camera or more commonly in pp software. Because all the data captured by the sensor is retained, this gives most flexibility as long as you know how to process the raw data.

JPEGs and TIFFs are image files. raw files are not, and need to be processed.
11-21-2022, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

As an addendum to this thread … with the camera set to Monochrome (+RAW if required), you can use the LiveView or Digital Preview features to assess the image in monochrome in real time
I'm not advocating full-time use of LiveView (though use it if you prefer), but as a compositional aid I find it very helpful in some circumstances.
Enjoy
11-21-2022, 04:02 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all,i'll get to work on this

11-22-2022, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

RAW is always in color