Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2022, 01:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax KF Solenoid

I just saw the ad regarding the soon-to-be-released KF.
Does this updated version of the K-70 still use the sometimes problematic solenoid used in the K-30-50-70 models?

11-24-2022, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
no one knows for sure yet
11-25-2022, 02:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

well ...

I thought that K-70 has no longer this issue ...
11-25-2022, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am confident this issue will have been sorted out. I suspect this is the main reason Pentax decided on a name change for the new version.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 11-25-2022 at 04:22 AM.
11-25-2022, 04:07 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have a member on the german forum (pentaxians.de) who got very deep into the solenoid thing, not only repairing the afflicted cameras, but also researching the technical aspect and the various solenoids used. I have utter tust in his verdict.

According to him the latest generation of solenoid built into the K-70 since start of 2020 is a reliable one.

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 11-25-2022 at 12:30 PM.
11-25-2022, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PENTAPSC Quote
I just saw the ad regarding the soon-to-be-released KF.
Does this updated version of the K-70 still use the sometimes problematic solenoid used in the K-30-50-70 models?
That solenoid became “problematic” only when the supplier moved production from Japan to China, and changed materials used. Pentax had been working on that problem for several years, and as mentioned by several here, seems to have already solved the problem in K-70 days. I purchased a KP in 2018 specifically to avoid that problem {I owned a K-30 which did develop “Dark Image Syndrome”} but I would no problem at all purchasing a KF if I didn’t already have a KP
11-27-2022, 04:18 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is solved since 2021 (not 2020 though) already with the K-70:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
And the 3.rd generation solenoid as John Pye UK sells it now for a very reasonable price in UK (only, not abroad) is absolutly alright.

So absolutly nothing to worry.

I agree with @SandyHancock that the new name KF is possibly one strong reason to differentiate it from the K-70 because until the end of 2020 quite a few K-70's developed ABF, I'd say about 25% of them (and it were ... I am quite certain about it.... at least 60% of all K30/50/500's.... 90% of all K30 owners I know had it and I know a lot and repaired all of 'em)

11-27-2022, 04:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Well, we really have little to no information regarding the new KF model. The name does not indicate an updated K-70. That would be a K-80. I mean, we had a K-30 and a K-50. For a change, counting forward. The K-S2 was somewhat different in that it was meant to replace the K-S1 as a very compact body, which it did do so, remaining very compact while introducing the articling screen and with 2-wheel operation, etc.

So the K-70 became the K-50's successor but incorporating the K-S2 in the process, while not being quite as compact.

What gets me rather suspicious is the naming of the new model- just 2 capital letters.... like the KP was. Therefore, are we to find out, the KF is meant to be the KP's successor, a KP with a bulky right-hand grip? A compact metal body, with available battery grip? Mid-price, while continuing the K-70? In naming, Pentax has had as a regular practice, a tendency to go backwards. K-7 to K-5 to K-3. All similar in body style, all with the K and hyphenated single digit, and of course going backwards.
11-27-2022, 09:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Well, we really have little to no information regarding the new KF model. The name does not indicate an updated K-70. That would be a K-80. I mean, we had a K-30 and a K-50. For a change, counting forward. The K-S2 was somewhat different in that it was meant to replace the K-S1 as a very compact body, which it did do so, remaining very compact while introducing the articling screen and with 2-wheel operation, etc.

So the K-70 became the K-50's successor but incorporating the K-S2 in the process, while not being quite as compact.

What gets me rather suspicious is the naming of the new model- just 2 capital letters.... like the KP was. Therefore, are we to find out, the KF is meant to be the KP's successor, a KP with a bulky right-hand grip? A compact metal body, with available battery grip? Mid-price, while continuing the K-70? In naming, Pentax has had as a regular practice, a tendency to go backwards. K-7 to K-5 to K-3. All similar in body style, all with the K and hyphenated single digit, and of course going backwards.
Presumably the specs have been revealed by now, since it was supposed to go on sale in Japan two days ago. Do ISO limits and focus points look like those of the K-70 or the KP? I wouldn’t depend on them completely, but it should be a good start to untangling these issues.
11-27-2022, 10:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We had this about why KF in several other threads, this thread was solely about the solenoid.
11-28-2022, 02:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Presumably the specs have been revealed by now, since it was supposed to go on sale in Japan two days ago. Do ISO limits and focus points look like those of the K-70 or the KP? I wouldn’t depend on them completely, but it should be a good start to untangling these issues.
The specs, as published by Ricoh, are available here for the KF Specifications | PENTAX KF | RICOH IMAGING and here for the K-70 Specifications | PENTAX K-70 | RICOH IMAGING
There really does appear to be very little difference!
11-28-2022, 06:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The KF is now posted, specs and all, on the B&H website including price for pre-order. Of course the specs do not get into parts such as the solenoid, but it goes without saying that though it is obviously not a KP type of camera, the solenoid, if there is one in this new model, will be the revised version! Beyond a doubt!
11-28-2022, 08:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

My understanding all along has been that the “K-S2” was {between the K-50 and the K-70} in that line ….. perhaps you can think of it as K-60 instead of “K-S2”, so the order is now K-30 …. K-50 …. K-S2 …. K-70 …. KF. There was a big change between the K-50 and K-S2 because that is when the articulated LED appeared, and there seems {regrettably} very little change between K-70 and KF. Since the solenoid was perfected {again} in the K-70, the new version of the solenoid will be one of the parts carried {unchanged} from the last K-70, with Pentax not having any reason for listing the unchanged parts, be they some knob, the piece that holds the one SD card, …., or the solenoid.

Last edited by reh321; 11-28-2022 at 09:05 PM.