Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 248 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2023, 08:55 AM   #166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
A better lens is almost always the way to go. Neither is guaranteed to improve your photography, but the lens generally offers more potential.
Completely true.

The "weight" of the new-camera side of this gains with time, much more so than for lenses. If I buy a new camera in 2023 then there's unlikely to be any justification for replacing it in 2024, but by 2030 technical advances may have built up sufficiently to make that a better option than a new lens. My 2023 camera may have also deteriorated in some way that inhibits the way I can use it.

01-25-2023, 09:48 AM   #167
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the issue with new cameras is that we aren't seeing dramatic improvement in still camera image quality. Yes, there are more auto focus points and probably better AF-C performance, but dynamic range, high iso performance are pretty stagnant and even cameras from seven or eight years ago are pretty decent as long as you don't need 20 fps or high end video performance.
01-25-2023, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #168
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
. . . . . . as long as you don't need 20 fps or high end video performance.
I didn’t buy a DSLR for 20 fps or video, high end or otherwise.

The only time I’ve ever desired video is when I wanted video from inside my racecar. Then I borrowed a VHS camcorder and built a mount to fasten it to the roll cage.

And that was over 30 years ago.
01-25-2023, 10:02 AM   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the issue with new cameras is that we aren't seeing dramatic improvement in still camera image quality. Yes, there are more auto focus points and probably better AF-C performance, but dynamic range, high iso performance are pretty stagnant and even cameras from seven or eight years ago are pretty decent as long as you don't need 20 fps or high end video performance.
My wife's K-5 and K-5ii are still great cameras. When she was having trouble locking focus with my K-3 and DA 55-300 plz she put the lens on her K-5ii and it didn't miss an image.

01-25-2023, 04:06 PM - 3 Likes   #170
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Completely true.

The "weight" of the new-camera side of this gains with time, much more so than for lenses. If I buy a new camera in 2023 then there's unlikely to be any justification for replacing it in 2024, but by 2030 technical advances may have built up sufficiently to make that a better option than a new lens. My 2023 camera may have also deteriorated in some way that inhibits the way I can use it.
I was going to add that caveat in, but decided to try to be pithy rather than wordy. Depending on how many generations one jumps, one may well see an overall improvement in their photography because of some feature set that either didn't exist or because some other feature set has improved greatly. Shake reduction is a case in point, as is auto focus.
Having said that, a bad photographer can shoot bad photographs as easily at 8 frames per second as three, he or she will just get more of them.
01-25-2023, 07:11 PM   #171

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I'm stealing this for the real joke thread.

No kidding.
Sure thing! I didn't know we had a joke thread. Thanks for letting me know.
01-26-2023, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #172
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KFMike Quote
Sure thing! I didn't know we had a joke thread. Thanks for letting me know.
That seems like a serious oversight.

No funnies is not funny.

01-31-2023, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #173

Since I've just started getting back to photography after a Long hiatus
I've done probably just enought You-tube to be confusing to this old guy.
That said, I stumbled upon Chelsea & Tony. I like a lot of what I've seen
of them but my goodness, some of the cameras & such are SO expensive.
They seem to act like everyone & his brother has unlimited funds.
They appear to be knowledgeable enough. They also seem to have an
eversion to Pentax and an obsession with Canon & Nikon. To this day I'm
still not sure why I prefer Pentax but I do. Maybe because it's the Underdog
in the fight. I just think Pentax gets overlooked in favor of the Big Two.
01-31-2023, 12:39 PM   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edward Brock Quote
They appear to be knowledgeable enough. They also seem to have an
eversion to Pentax and an obsession with Canon & Nikon. To this day I'm
still not sure why I prefer Pentax but I do. Maybe because it's the Underdog
in the fight. I just think Pentax gets overlooked in favor of the Big Two.
You give them too much credit. They spout half truths that confuse the heck out of people when people try and build on it. A lot of time has been spent on this forum correcting their misconceptions.

Almost everything they show you works, often the problem is their explanation of why it works is off. Simply not enough technical understanding. But lots of reports of playing with gear I'll never buy.
01-31-2023, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #175
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I just think Pentax gets overlooked in favor of the Big Two.
I think that the misguided masses think that a lower cost camera is a cheap camera.

Most people believe that if they spend premium dollars, they always get premium gear, even when premium gear can be had for less money.
01-31-2023, 05:18 PM - 2 Likes   #176
Pentaxian

I think that the misguided masses think that a lower cost camera is a cheap camera.

Most people believe that if they spend premium dollars, they always get premium gear, even when premium gear can be had for less money.
Of all the time people spent raving about the frame rate of the 1dx, no one ever mentioned the pathetic 20 MB file size. People don't know what's good for them. For many, the price is something they understand, tech. specs isn't. they read them, but they don't understand what they mean. Unfortunately, many camera salesmen aren't a lot better.
02-02-2023, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed. I also stumbled across their channel when starting looking through YouTube, but like the heavy, shin-scraping engine block in the workshop’s dark corner, I prefer to avoid it. Too much gloss, too little actual photographs for my liking: it’s just another gear channel. Is it really necessary to change camera system more often than one’s underpants??
02-02-2023, 01:59 AM   #178
Pentaxian

Here is DPreview's take on the best and worst cameras and lenses of the year.

The Pentax KF does get a (dis)honorable mention but the wooden spoon goes to the Nikon Z30. A vlogging camera without a headphone jack is just not good enough, according to them.
02-12-2023, 08:18 PM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just tuned in to this thread after seeing references, but still not bothering to watch such nonsense. I do agree that the way this "updated" model has been presented by Ricoh/Pentax is understandably viewed with skepticism, including my own. It really IS a K-70 but with some new parts and hopefully some refinements, which may surface once actual test reviews come in. Just as was the case with the K-5 II over the original K-5, and the updated model came in at an updated price. Same with the K-3 II, etc. The K-3 III came with many new parts and many new refinements, even a new controls layout, but it was still a K-3 style of camera design thus still in the K-3 series, but with a much higher price tag.

The "KF" name inferring that it is a replacement for the "KP"- well it is not in any sense a KP replacement, instead it IS a K-70 type of design. It SHOULD be a K-70 II. Maybe a K-80 at best! The name smacks of misleading expectations. With new parts and hopefully additional refinements and greater reliability, and being new, no doubt it would and should come in at a higher price level, as did the K-3 II, etc. And no doubt the price will drift down some in the foreseeable future. Unlike the "iffiness" of the K-70, I can recommend the "KF" without hesitation, making it clear it is in fact a refined K-70 with new parts, and updated for greater reliability. Ricoh/Pentax could not afford to upgrade too much in such a camera at this level, like an AF upgrade, etc. so as to intrude on the capabilities of the K-3 III, and at quite an expense.

---------- Post added 02-12-23 at 08:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aussie Matt Quote
And we haven't even touched the weather sealing, tilt screen, etc that other manufactures simply don't offer at this end of the market.
Absolutely, and at this price point not having the AA filter, and most uniquely, also having a switchable filter substitute if needed! Also with other very useful design features special to Pentax.

---------- Post added 02-12-23 at 08:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aussie Matt Quote
Do we see pro baseball photographers, with crystal clear and sharp batters mid swing with perfectly blurred backgrounds using Pentax's??? No, not really: Can it be done, hell yeah: but it's just that other brands deliver, easier.
Oh, many of us here could do that with the greatest of ease, even with older Pentax camera models. The real reason one does not see pro photographers at pro baseball games shooting these shots with Pentax, is protocol. Protocol dictates, if you want to be a pro sports photographer for baseball, just get Nikon or Canon equipment. Might be different with other sports where it is common to shoot with a need for player movement AF tracking and/or much use of burst shooting. But now with the K-3 III, even this is plenty doable with Pentax. Yet the habitual protocol continues.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-12-2023 at 08:43 PM.
02-14-2023, 08:36 AM   #180

I have to admit that I've kinda fallen into that category to an extent.
It's been many years since I've done much in the photography arena.
And so, I'm a bit infatuated {almost lustfully} with the K3iii. But if
I just take time to Not work from an emotion point only I realize the K70,
or for that matter the KF, will work absolutely perfectly for (My Type) of
photography. I Don't do "Action" photography. All my shots are of the
landscape variety. Heck, if I am totally honest about it my antiquated Kx
does a pretty good job since I am by no means a Pro-Photog.
I still think I'm going to get a new camera sometime fairly soon.
After all the confusion settles I feel like saving some money by
getting the K70. I think the picture quality of the K70 is a step up
enough from my Kx that I can justify it.
While I kinda enjoy Chelsea & Tony, I'm not putting too much confidence
in their opinions of the Pentax label.
OK, I'm stubborn. There, I said it.