Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 248 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2022, 03:37 AM - 3 Likes   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The whole point of a camera brand selling cameras is to turn a profit. If they can no longer do so with a given camera because of parts costs, labor costs, shipping costs or whatever else, they have to either discontinue the camera or raise prices. The K-70 is pretty amazing for a little less than 600 dollars, but looking at the market as a whole, there aren't many ILCs out there selling for less than 800 dollars, except for left over SLRs in legacy mounts that are soon to be orphaned.

I had wondered if we would see a continuation of the K-70 level camera and was glad to see Pentax update it slightly, even if I am not interested in the camera.

I don't think it made sense to do a total reworking of the camera, as that would have increased the cost significantly and would have pulled resources away from other projects they are working on (like a K-1 III).

12-22-2022, 03:03 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
For a camera that still uses unreliable white solenoids... why do I even have to know this about Pentax products?
what are you even talking about, the white solenoid is what people take from older model to put in to replace the unreliable green ones....
12-22-2022, 03:16 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When people keep predicting the demise of a company and it keeps not happening they often feel a need to try to tip the scales.
12-22-2022, 10:10 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I just looked up what a Kf and 18-135 kit costs and they're $1250 USD at the biggest store in NY. That price is *insanity*.

I agree, that price is too much. Pentax (or B&H) is not giving any discount of the bundle, as the DA 18-135 is currently retailing for $400.

In fact, if you buy the K-70/DA 18-135 bundle, you are only being charged $250 for the lens.

12-23-2022, 01:22 AM - 4 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

As stated previously in this thread, I have only Pentax gear and no intention to change brand. However, Pentax have earned criticism and derision if only for their camera naming. Consider - from the good old K-3ii they redesign almost every part and feature to produce a completely new and great model, then they name it by adding "i" to the name of the old model. Ridiculous! They then take another old (and good) model - the K-70 - change almost nothing and market it as a new model with a new and different name - KF. Ridiculous! The KF should have been the K-70ii ..... or perhaps the K-70+ (plus = a big price increase) or K-70std (spot the differences) - any other suitably cynical suffixes welcome.

Philip
12-23-2022, 05:14 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
As stated previously in this thread, I have only Pentax gear and no intention to change brand. However, Pentax have earned criticism and derision if only for their camera naming. Consider - from the good old K-3ii they redesign almost every part and feature to produce a completely new and great model, then they name it by adding "i" to the name of the old model. Ridiculous! They then take another old (and good) model - the K-70 - change almost nothing and market it as a new model with a new and different name - KF. Ridiculous! The KF should have been the K-70ii ..... or perhaps the K-70+ (plus = a big price increase) or K-70std (spot the differences) - any other suitably cynical suffixes welcome.

Philip
K-70 super? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

We have hashed out the naming in other threads. The only thing I will say is that I think Pentax deliberately changed the name (1) To give the impression that this is a new camera and therefore worth a price bump and (2) To let users know for certain that the aperture block failures have been dealt with.

Nikon released the D610 very closely on the heels of the D600 -- if you look at the specs there is no difference. The reason for the "new" released camera with a new name had to do with the oil spots that the D600 had. Nikon was letting their users know, without explicitly stating it that the problem had been fixed.

The reality is that barring a significant investment, the KF wasn't going to be much different from the K-70 and that probably wasn't in the works. The name doesn't really change that and the price will probably drop some after the holidays.

Last edited by Rondec; 12-23-2022 at 11:33 AM.
12-23-2022, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Has anybody noticed that we are undergoing pretty intense inflation. The cost to power and heat my house is up well over 60%. The twin pack of bread that we buy has increased from $2.79 to $5.89 (111%) in under a year. My property taxes are up 35%. Gasoline is up a 50% if not more etc, etc, etc. On top of this our state legislators are about to give themselves a 30% raise.

The cost of the camera did not go up. The value of our currencies has gone down.
Seconded!!

12-23-2022, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

I enjoy their videos from time to time...but this is just a cheap shot at the Pentax KF. Just a cheap shot....
12-23-2022, 11:23 PM - 3 Likes   #54

I don't have any experience with the K-70, so I can't draw any comparisons. However, I'm really enjoying my KF. I like how simple it is to use, how it feels in my hands, the optical viewfinder, and how good the images are. The price may be too high, but I believe it represents excellent value for what it includes. Time will tell if I made the right decision.
12-24-2022, 05:47 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KFMike Quote
I don't have any experience with the K-70, so I can't draw any comparisons. However, I'm really enjoying my KF. I like how simple it is to use, how it feels in my hands, the optical viewfinder, and how good the images are. The price may be too high, but I believe it represents excellent value for what it includes. Time will tell if I made the right decision.
While I only use my K-70 secondarily these days, if the KF is slightly updated with a better sensor, etc., I think you'll be quite happy.
12-24-2022, 08:04 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
While I only use my K-70 secondarily these days, if the KF is slightly updated with a better sensor, etc., I think you'll be quite happy.
Thank you! Speaking of a better sensor, what would you like to see improved?
12-24-2022, 08:12 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
...if the KF is slightly updated with a better sensor, etc., I think you'll be quite happy.
I don't think the sensor has been updated. Only the rear screen and label has been changed.
12-24-2022, 11:23 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A note about Northrups channel. Their whole set up, scenography and graphic design is eye gauging ugly. So bad I can't believe they have a ounce of visual talent. Not a great thing when dealing with photography.
12-24-2022, 11:52 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I toyed briefly with trying their channel again to see what all their subscribers or the OP get from it, but a brief look at the video titles from the past couple of months told me it wasn’t for me. Nothing to see here people, move along…
12-24-2022, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
A note about Northrups channel. Their whole set up, scenography and graphic design is eye gauging ugly. So bad I can't believe they have a ounce of visual talent. Not a great thing when dealing with photography.
Hmmm....might be some room for disagreement here, just perhaps?