Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2022, 08:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tony and Chelsea's "Worst Camera of the Year" the Kf

So...

I guess I spend too much time on youtube. Tony and Chelsea have their lists of 'bests' and 'worsts'. They named the Kf as the 'Worst Camera of the Year' because of its price and that it is essentially a K70. Over the years clearly these two reviewers harbor a distinct dislike of what Pentax manufactures (Chelsea seems to switch systems more often than other people change their underwear). But do they have a point? I am not a fickle camera owner; I find something that works and I try and improve upon my angle with the camera. I do appreciate occasional upgrades, but I like a system that is sustainable in the long run.

That noted, I do not have the Kf; I already have 4 Pentax dSLRs and god only knows how many Pentax film camera. Ergo, I'm not one to really one to be able to say either way. Do you feel the camera has more under the hood than they are saying, or are their points truly valid? Like it or not, they have a loud voice in the camera blogisphere. I just want to hear from those more in the trenches rather than from someone who likely never actually held the Kf.

12-20-2022, 09:47 PM - 14 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's plenty of good stuff on YouTube, but the Northrups ain't it.

That said, I could understand the KF being the most disappointing new camera of the year, by virtue of the fact that it is merely a very, very slightly updated K-70 at a significantly higher price. But it is still a good camera and a good value, IMO.
12-20-2022, 10:30 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

That said, I could understand the KF being the most disappointing new camera of the year, by virtue of the fact that it is merely a very, very slightly updated K-70 at a significantly higher price. But it is still a good camera and a good value, IMO.
THIS!

Expectations were high when an unexpected camera turned up. The renaming out of sequence from past convention led to speculation and predictions- which were almost universally wrong.

Expectations aside the real disappointment is that it does not bring anything tangible to the table that the k-70 didn’t already provide. It’s hoped that the aperture block is fixed finally. It is a lot like the k-30/k-50 model change. If you already have a k-70, this isn’t much of an upgrade. But if you need a k-70 level camera… The KF delivers (at least that’s the apparent situation based on user reports and reviews. )
12-21-2022, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find their videos to be randomly opinionated and mostly boring. I don't see the KF as being a "worst" or bad camera, but rather useful and well featured tool. That said, if I was after a camera with this feature set I would certainly buy a K-70 before they are gone. Can't see a reason to pay $270 more for a KF (or $420 more with 18-135 kit lens). Wow!

12-21-2022, 01:50 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The Northrups have a fine Youtube channel and certainly know what they are talking about. In this case they are right, the Kf was a very minor upgrade to an old camera while the change of name indicated something more dramatic. That was a disappointment and pointing that out is hardly an indication of bias against the brand. If Ricoh had made a real effort they would have brought out something like a cheaper version of the K3-iii to replace the K-70 with a regular viewfinder, simpler controls and focus system, less rugged but with the same sensor and thus similar or the same image quality (resolution, noise, dynamic range etc.) and 4K video at a significantly lower price than the K3-iii.
12-21-2022, 02:01 AM - 6 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Well said.
12-21-2022, 02:11 AM - 7 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Northrups: Too much self-advertising, narcissism, and nonsense masking as geekery (particularly on Tony's part) to endure before you get to the rare nuggets of wisdom, IMHO.

12-21-2022, 02:19 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

There are some really great photographers on YouTube that bring valuable information or are just a pleasure to watch. The Northrups are not amongst them.
12-21-2022, 02:49 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KF may have been a disappointment to some or many, but using pejoratives like "worst" is uncalled for and shows a lack of discretion. The KF has not been available for a sufficient time to make an in-depth judgement.
12-21-2022, 03:29 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PKMike Quote
I find their videos to be randomly opinionated and mostly boring. I don't see the KF as being a "worst" or bad camera, but rather useful and well featured tool. That said, if I was after a camera with this feature set I would certainly buy a K-70 before they are gone. Can't see a reason to pay $270 more for a KF (or $420 more with 18-135 kit lens). Wow!
As long as the K-70 is still available, most people will still buy that, but I doubt the stock will last for long.

Supposedly the price increase was due to the fact that Pentax could no longer source certain parts for the K-70 for the same price. Replacing them didn't change the functionality of the camera but it did increase the cost.
12-21-2022, 03:33 AM - 6 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Even the worst camera of the year in 2022 is still going to be a good camera overall. Release what is essentially a 2016 camera in 2022 (upping the price in the process) and you can't expect for people to celebrate.
12-21-2022, 04:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Even the worst camera of the year in 2022 is still going to be a good camera overall. Release what is essentially a 2016 camera in 2022 (upping the price in the process) and you can't expect for people to celebrate.
And to put this in perspective. 2016 was a few years before Canon and Nikon had released any mirrorless FF cameras.
When their main focus was on DSLR. And cameras like Nikon D5 and Canon EOS-1D X Mark II was released.
12-21-2022, 04:48 AM - 15 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Has anybody noticed that we are undergoing pretty intense inflation. The cost to power and heat my house is up well over 60%. The twin pack of bread that we buy has increased from $2.79 to $5.89 (111%) in under a year. My property taxes are up 35%. Gasoline is up a 50% if not more etc, etc, etc. On top of this our state legislators are about to give themselves a 30% raise.

The cost of the camera did not go up. The value of our currencies has gone down.
12-21-2022, 04:54 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

They make a good point. There is nothing to get excited about with the KF - specs and price are rather disappointing.

Being crowned worst camera of 2022 means just that - the worst camera released this year. That is not the same as saying that it is a bad camera.
12-21-2022, 05:28 AM - 5 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to the list on DPReview, here are the 17 cameras released in 2022:

Pentax KF
Fujifilm X-T5
Canon EOS R6 Mark II
OM System OM-5
Sony a7R V
Sony ZV-1F
Sony FX30
Fujifilm X-H2
Hasselblad X2D 100c
Nikon Z30
Fujifilm X-H2S
Canon EOS R7
Canon EOS R10
Panasonic Lumix DC-GH6
OM System OM-1
Canon EOS R5 C
Leica M11

Which would be worse than the KF? Maybe the OM-5 (an upgrade from the OM-3) is the only other camera on the list that is "worst?" I only know from what I've read and watched about these cameras . . . I'm just putting their conclusion into context.