Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 248 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2022, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
There's plenty of good stuff on YouTube, but the Northrups ain't it.
Precisely. I was surprised to see that some time ago I subscribed to that YouTube channel. My visceral reaction at that tipsy way of pointing something out was to use the thumb-down button and unsubscribe as well. PentaxForums.com is a friendly place. It doesn't have a thumb-down button - for a good reason.

12-21-2022, 05:44 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Take it with a grain of salt from a guy that advocates shooting mainly in Jpg and encourages its unseen virtues....lol
12-21-2022, 06:04 AM - 6 Likes   #18
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

certain websites/blogs/YouTube channels have certain slants to their opinions - good and bad...

I've stopped clicking on the ones that are biased to the point that their reviews are no longer reliable (in my opinion)...

the part that I find amusing is that folks keep going back to those sites and come back, amazed that they disagreed with the opinion that was there...

if you don't like it, stop going there...
12-21-2022, 06:12 AM - 4 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Some who don't like the message choose to shoot the messenger. I have only Pentax gear and have no intention to change, but I agree with the message. However, I hope the KF achieves enough sales (perhaps mainly in Japan) to sustain the brand.

Philip

12-21-2022, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Some who don't like the message choose to shoot the messenger. I have only Pentax gear and have no intention to change, but I agree with the message. However, I hope the KF achieves enough sales (perhaps mainly in Japan) to sustain the brand.

Philip
While I don’t disagree that out of the cameras released this year the KF is probably correctly labeled the most disappointing… Tony and Chelsea aren’t good unbiased sources of information. My use for them is about zero - and it’s not brand centric. I have disagreed with them on m43, Pentax, and Sony. Their presentation Style (over substance) grates on my nerves. I’ve stopped bothering with looking at their work so it’s possible they improved over the years I suppose. But giving them my time is not my plan. I can find other reviews that seem less bogus and more substantive.
12-21-2022, 07:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Shooting the messenger?

https://www.samatters.com/dont-shoot-the-messenger/
12-21-2022, 07:57 AM - 4 Likes   #22

Photos: Albums
I'm as much as pentaxian as anyone here, but the KF IS the worst camera released this year.

Just because you don't like the Northrups doesn't mean the message is wrong. It also doesn't help Ricoh one bit if all celebrated feedback is positive feedback. In fact, this should be a warning sign to bring more innovation and competitiveness to the marker in future releases, by which we win as customers.

Kf socks and is expensive as ****.

12-21-2022, 08:31 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hectorse Quote
I'm as much as pentaxian as anyone here, but the KF IS the worst camera released this year.

Just because you don't like the Northrups doesn't mean the message is wrong. It also doesn't help Ricoh one bit if all celebrated feedback is positive feedback. In fact, this should be a warning sign to bring more innovation and competitiveness to the marker in future releases, by which we win as customers.

Just off the top of my head, the Nikon Z30 is a far worse camera than the KF. And the Z30 is a "new" model, not a very slightly modified one. The Sony ZV-1F seems pretty lame, too, although at least it is very cheap by current standards.

One of the reasons I dislike the Northrups is precisely that often their "message is wrong". That's the problem.
12-21-2022, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hectorse Quote

If you have some data and experience about the KF, it might be nice to hear about it. That might include defining "sucks" and "expensive as **** " with some specifics other than just tossing out negative terms.

To my simple, old mind, at least, "worst" and "expensive as **** " also need to be used in reference to the niche the product fills as well. Not entry-mid level cameras against higher level models. Not clearance K-70 prices. For example, KPs are now more expensive than they were on clearance back a while ago. IMO, that doesn't exactly make it "expensive as **** ", exactly. (Not that I expect this to happen for old K-70s, exactly.)

Last edited by jgnfld; 12-21-2022 at 08:57 AM.
12-21-2022, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just looked up what a Kf and 18-135 kit costs and they're $1250 USD at the biggest store in NY. That price is *insanity*. For a camera that still uses unreliable white solenoids... why do I even have to know this about Pentax products? Brand new model and this has been an issue for how long?

It should have the same reliable hardware as the "pro-ish" cameras from Pentax. This kit should cost much less on the street; $900? If they couldn't deliver that they shouldn't sell the thing. Well, try to sell the thing; how many consumers will buy this camera and then stick around for more Pentax products?

The Northrops are not interesting to me but I don't see them being that off-base here. There's a few bodies on EssJay's list that are also not great in my eyes (Nikon Z30 for instance).
12-21-2022, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I just looked up what a Kf and 18-135 kit costs and they're $1250 USD at the biggest store in NY. That price is *insanity*. For a camera that still uses unreliable white solenoids... why do I even have to know this about Pentax products? Brand new model and this has been an issue for how long?
How this is known for solenoid of Kf to be unreliable. Are there any reports about Kf failures?
12-21-2022, 09:49 AM - 5 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why must there be a "worst" camera and a "best" camera?

- Craig
12-21-2022, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Has anybody noticed that we are undergoing pretty intense inflation. The cost to power and heat my house is up well over 60%. The twin pack of bread that we buy has increased from $2.79 to $5.89 (111%) in under a year. My property taxes are up 35%. Gasoline is up a 50% if not more etc, etc, etc. On top of this our state legislators are about to give themselves a 30% raise.

The cost of the camera did not go up. The value of our currencies has gone down.
Very much so. I have five children and feeding them would require a wheelbarrow full of cash, if not for credit cards. The components going into the camera have increased significantly. Of course the camera costs more as a result, even if functionally it is similar to the K-70.

As for the whole solenoid issue, @photogem has said that it was fixed in the later K-70s. Certainly the KF should be in good shape from that standpoint, despite comments to the contrary in this thread. I had speculated elsewhere that part of the reason for the name change was to message that the solenoid fix has been completely taken care of.
12-21-2022, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #29
Dan
Pentaxian

I have two K-70s, both of which have been trouble-free. Overall, I think that the K-70 is an excellent camera. But this is one of those rare cases where I agree with the Northrups. The main "innovation" with the KF is the large price increase. The camera is a gift to critics who have been saying that Ricoh is no longer serious about the continuing development of DSLRs. A system that does not continually evolve will eventually die. Hopefully Ricoh will release a new-and-improved K-1 (or something else) and prove the naysayers wrong.
12-21-2022, 11:14 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
For a camera that still uses unreliable white solenoids...
I'm not saying you're either right or wrong, since I don't know myself, and therefor I'm interested if you have any valid proof for the statement?