Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2023, 09:18 AM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We should run a poll to find out how many K-70 users use auto mode. That was truly offensive.
Probably true enough for entry level, high volume canikon users with their Christmas/graduation gifts. I HIGHLY doubt it for K70/KF users. Way different demographic.

01-08-2023, 09:20 AM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are places in Algonquin where if you spend a few hours there you'll get a shot of Pine Martin. But I've had the same experience. I Once had one get real close to me while I was pretending to read a book, but I had book instead of a camera.

What's really tough is getting an image of one of these guys.

I see evidence of this guy all the time. Poops in the yard, small animal carcasses, we've seen him briefly on several occasions, but near impossible to get images of.
Looks like the one I was talking about skittering over my boot. Wow. again.
01-08-2023, 10:02 AM - 2 Likes   #123
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Probably true enough for entry level, high volume canikon users with their Christmas/graduation gifts. I HIGHLY doubt it for K70/KF users. Way different demographic.
Full disclosure: I don't feel shame in resorting to auto when presented with a difficult lighting scenario and little time to figure out the best settings for an image that won't repeat itself. IMO there's a time and place for it.
01-08-2023, 10:19 AM - 2 Likes   #124
Forum Member

I've looked at Their channel once and I think They are rather tedious people that are full of Their own sense of self importance. Their own photography has nothing to get excited about so Their opinions are rather worthless. There are much better channels snappiness - YouTube is way more fun. DPReview TV - YouTube is more informative. Pentax is slow company so You cannot expect constant news. That is really what They are complaining about. I just love the continuing compatibility. Even My old correction lenses mean that My minus 5 plus +1/-2.5 adjustment means I will be able to see well through My K1 viewfinder well into the future. I am 66.

01-08-2023, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Full disclosure: I don't feel shame in resorting to auto when presented with a difficult lighting scenario and little time to figure out the best settings for an image that won't repeat itself. IMO there's a time and place for it.
It can be useful.... almost every camera setting has a distinct use for which it was designed.
01-08-2023, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I almost always set the k-1 on auto for night street photography- there is so much exposure variation that you'd lose half your shots if you didn't have automation atd the decisions the camera makes are more intelligent than setting one of the perameters. The only concession i make is limitinmg the ISO to 3200 and possibly a stop or two minus exposure compensation if there's too many bright lights. And I'm someone who uses full manual for landscapes etc.
01-08-2023, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aussie Matt Quote
It's funny watching Pentax owners with some of the worst autofocus camera's of their era, justify them... but then slag off KF because it's not improved over K70
Well, wasn't expecting that attack. Normhead, it's a bit of light hearted fun: Your photo's are great, and proof that it can be done: But the reality is it's a fair take on where pentax has been. Even Ricoh aknowledge this, going all out on updating AF for the K3 III, making it simply the best APSC DSLR in the world; that tech in the K1, and it is the best DSLR in the world. You even admit you had to 'work' with the auto focus, where as other brands have hidden this struggle for most users with tech and defaults that they don't have to spend hours trawling manuals, testing settings and huge amounts of time executing just to learn how to get clean shots.

Again, you prove it's possible.

Can you get amazing wedding photo's with a iPhone. Absolutely. Do we see pro wedding photographers using iPhones?? No. It's just not the right tool. It can be done, but it's the hard way.
Do we see pro baseball photographers, with crystal clear and sharp batters mid swing with perfectly blurred backgrounds using Pentax's??? No, not really: Can it be done, hell yeah: but it's just that other brands deliver, easier.

It's like a front engined corvette owner saying the cruze is a low tech boring car that brings nothing to the modern car market... except the corvette is still using a push rod low reving, fuel hungry V8... There's a reason for that (pushrod v8 is far shorter than ohc, so the bonnet height is reduced)... Same with pentax: man they can deliver, but most people don't get that experience out the box.

So nah: I stand by that. The KF is a cool bit of kit, hitting the right segment.

We should all be celebrating the fact that Ricoh has remained in the entry level end of the market, and committed another manufacturing run to such a device: Instead we're 10 pages into arguing why it is or isn't the right move. For any pentax faithful, it is the right move.

01-09-2023, 03:45 AM - 2 Likes   #128
Pentaxian

I don't feel shame in resorting to auto when presented with a difficult lighting scenario and little time to figure out the best settings
It's not my usual line of photography, but I remember a captioned picture in book I bought to go with my ME-Super, back when it was new. It was a photo of a riot, and the advice was in that situation to stick the camera on Auto and just take pictures. Good advice. No-one has ever complained about the camera settings used to take the pictures of the Hindenburg on fire.
01-09-2023, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #129
Pentaxian

To get back to the topic. All that Tony and Chelsea are saying is that the KF is the worst one on this list of cameras released in 2022:
  1. Canon EOS R5 C
  2. Canon EOS R6 Mark II
  3. Canon EOS R7
  4. Canon EOS R10
  5. Hasselblad X2D 100c
  6. Leica M11
  7. Fujifilm X-H2
  8. Fujifilm X-H2S
  9. Fujifilm X-T5
  10. Nikon Z30
  11. OM System OM-1
  12. OM System OM-5
  13. Panasonic Lumix DC-GH6
  14. Pentax KF
  15. Sony FX30
  16. Sony a7R V
  17. Sony ZV-1F
I guess they gave the award to the one that is a more expensive, slightly warmed over release of an old design.
01-09-2023, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
"You even admit you had to 'work' with the auto focus, where as other brands have hidden this struggle for most users with tech and defaults that they don't have to spend hours trawling manuals, testing settings and huge amounts of time executing just to learn how to get clean shots.
We used to have a guy here, big Canon shooter (Pentax back with a K-10), beautiful images. It took him a few works shops with working pros to learn the settings for his camera. He was constantly after people to take classes to learn the settings. I was in Henry's once in Toronto and watched a woman by a full Canon system to shoot her son's soccer games, she also signed up for a couple weekend course in the use of the camera. I'm surprised you aren't aware of these things. So what I'm saying is off the shelf usability is s myth.

But hey, everyone has an opinion.

Last edited by normhead; 01-09-2023 at 09:04 AM.
01-09-2023, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #131
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
To get back to the topic. All that Tony and Chelsea are saying is that the KF is the worst one on this list of cameras released in 2022:
  1. Canon EOS R5 C
  2. Canon EOS R6 Mark II
  3. Canon EOS R7
  4. Canon EOS R10
  5. Hasselblad X2D 100c
  6. Leica M11
  7. Fujifilm X-H2
  8. Fujifilm X-H2S
  9. Fujifilm X-T5
  10. Nikon Z30
  11. OM System OM-1
  12. OM System OM-5
  13. Panasonic Lumix DC-GH6
  14. Pentax KF
  15. Sony FX30
  16. Sony a7R V
  17. Sony ZV-1F
I guess they gave the award to the one that is a more expensive, slightly warmed over release of an old design.
Most of those cameras aren’t even in the same league as the KF.

Comparing the Pentax KF to a Hassleblad?

Sony A7Rv?

Nikon Z30?

How about a direct comparison to other apsc DSLR cameras released last year?

Didn’t think so.
01-09-2023, 07:26 AM - 2 Likes   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

Didn’t think so.
Biasing selection is the way Pentax is always discredited. Expect it.
01-09-2023, 11:47 AM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Most of those cameras aren’t even in the same league as the KF.

Comparing the Pentax KF to a Hassleblad?

Sony A7Rv?

Nikon Z30?

Didn’t think so.
The Hasselblad has four times megapixels for eight times the price. Bargain.

Don't know about the A7R5 but the Z30 looks like a good one. I am kinda tempted by it, myself.

The KF is both the best and the worst APS-C DSLR released in 2022. That should make everyone happy.
01-09-2023, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I had followed Tony and Chelsea's advice in the past I would not be shooting Pentax and would not be on this forum.

I am waiting for them to review coffee makers as I need a new one....anyone know when it is coming out
01-09-2023, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
But the reality is it's a fair take on where pentax has been.
Have you ever demoed this claim or are you just just repeating internet nonsense?
One of the Nikon owners who visits from time to time once challeged me to shoot picture of one of my dogs coming towards me to demonstrate the inadequacy of Pentax AF. My K-3 hit seven of nine missing the last two when the dog was too close to the camera for the picture to be useful, but 7 of 7 at a useful distance, He hit 7 of 8. Seriously dude, I've done the work, I know what the values mean, I know what the differences are. That is not enough to change brands for. If you haven't done the work, please stop repeating internet nonsense. The internet liars even subjected the K-3 to a wobbling bike test, that they didn't subject any other camera to. We know Pentax didn't do it, but we don't know another camera will, which is what the authors claimed. You're promoting the thoughts of clowns. You're coming off as guy who only knows what internet click bait artists tell him.

I await the results of the tests you've done to support your conclusions. The actual tests I've run myself don't support them at all. The one exception being, my K-1 wasn't particularly good at the last wedding I shot, and another shooter on the forum said he doubled his hit rate with a $5000 camera. I got 45% the same as he did with the K-1, and he said he got 90% with the Sony. But, I don't shoot a lot of weddings, and I make up for lack of hits in some circumstances by shooting bursts with hold focus selected. If you take 3 or 4, you're guaranteed a good one, which is how I got my wedding stone without missing a single pose.

Please start talking about your experience, and stop repeating internet nonsense that we've responded to 1000 times. If you had any energy you could find hundreds of posts discussing these articles and explaining why they're absolute nonsense. The proof is in the pictures, not recited internet babble.

If I can do it, and you can't maybe you need to explore what you're doing wrong.

Last edited by normhead; 01-09-2023 at 03:03 PM.