Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2023, 06:58 PM   #151

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
If any of the main K-70 components were no longer available, and with the model name now getting long in the tooth, of course it makes sense to release it under a new model name. It makes even more sense considering the whispers of rampant solenoid failure on the K-70, an unfair and uninformed badge hung on it. Just reboot the K70 line, it wasn't broken to begin with. It just needed a little distance from the K70 name and some necessary hardware updates.

Even today the K70 is a far better camera than some other brands' newer entry-level mirrorless releases. I missed mine so much I bought another, even tho I have both the K1 and K3III. There's very little I can't do with the less expensive Pentax that I can with the other two, and it's a much more compact camera for throwing in as a back-up on a shoot. Cheap enough and small enough too for just keeping in the truck console with an 18-135 for those out-and-about times I didn't know in advance I would want a camera besides the one on my smartphone.

The K-70, and by extension the Kf, is so underrated as an artistic tool. For the average buyer it will handle pretty much anything a $1500 mirrorless will IMO, and roughly just as light and compact with far better ergonomics.
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The K-70, and by extension the Kf, is so underrated as an artistic tool. For the average buyer it will handle pretty much anything a $1500 mirrorless will IMO, and roughly just as light and compact with far better ergonomics.
As a K70 owner I pretty much came to the same conclusion when I looked into mirrorless alternatives. The only camera that looked like fun to me and that offered good value similar to the K70 was a Panasonic Lumix GX85 which was released around the time of the K70.

01-12-2023, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by guyK10D Quote
As a K70 owner I pretty much came to the same conclusion when I looked into mirrorless alternatives. The only camera that looked like fun to me and that offered good value similar to the K70 was a Panasonic Lumix GX85 which was released around the time of the K70.
I talked a friend into that camera. He loves it to this day.
01-13-2023, 05:29 PM   #153

QuoteOriginally posted by guyK10D Quote
I have the GX85 but its underused. Good image quality.
01-23-2023, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
So...

I guess I spend too much time on youtube. Tony and Chelsea have their lists of 'bests' and 'worsts'. They named the Kf as the 'Worst Camera of the Year' because of its price and that it is essentially a K70. Over the years clearly these two reviewers harbor a distinct dislike of what Pentax manufactures (Chelsea seems to switch systems more often than other people change their underwear). But do they have a point? I am not a fickle camera owner; I find something that works and I try and improve upon my angle with the camera. I do appreciate occasional upgrades, but I like a system that is sustainable in the long run.

That noted, I do not have the Kf; I already have 4 Pentax dSLRs and god only knows how many Pentax film camera. Ergo, I'm not one to really one to be able to say either way. Do you feel the camera has more under the hood than they are saying, or are their points truly valid? Like it or not, they have a loud voice in the camera blogisphere. I just want to hear from those more in the trenches rather than from someone who likely never actually held the Kf.
Admittedly, I like Chelsea and Tony. I have been following them for the last 10 years at least. I don't mind youtubers criticizing Pentax a bit.

For me as a hiker, I like Pentax cameras. I have handled two mirrorless cameras recently and I could not come to grips when them. However, I am now in possession of one of them as a gift from a friend.

Pentax KF is a camera made in heavens for a hiker like me. Professional photographers and vloggers can't appreciate the benefits of a beginner's camera like KF. I condone/ignore them because they can't even relate to beginners anymore, much less to advantages that hikers would have. However, I do admit that it is a good present day camera with somewhat old, but surely not dated technology.

So now the question becomes why wouldn't I move to mirrorless cameras that are light weight as compared to the DSLRs. The answers are embedded in the following 4 questions:

1. Why should one move to a new system and invest money when he/she can put the same money in traveling farther and/or more often to earn photography experience?
2. Why should one invest so much time in learning a new system than to put the same duration of time to improve his/her photography skills with the existing system?
3. Why should one invest money in a better quality camera when vloggers like Tony and Chelsea tell us all the time that putting quality lenses on a low quality camera is far better than putting low quality lenses on a high quality camera?
4. Speaking from my area of interest, since I am able to take pictures with my right hand alone as I almost always have leash of my dogs in my left hand as they walk on that side, do other better cameras and systems offer me the same kind of ergonomics?

I can give you my answer to question # 4. From my recent experience of using Canon and Nikon mirrorless cameras, they don't. However, this is a discussion for another day.

01-23-2023, 03:29 PM - 5 Likes   #155
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Suhail Quote
Admittedly, I like Chelsea and Tony. I have been following them for the last 10 years at least. I don't mind youtubers criticizing Pentax a bit.

For me as a hiker, I like Pentax cameras. I have handled two mirrorless cameras recently and I could not come to grips when them. However, I am now in possession of one of them as a gift from a friend.

Pentax KF is a camera made in heavens for a hiker like me. Professional photographers and vloggers can't appreciate the benefits of a beginner's camera like KF. I condone/ignore them because they can't even relate to beginners anymore, much less to advantages that hikers would have. However, I do admit that it is a good present day camera with somewhat old, but surely not dated technology.

So now the question becomes why wouldn't I move to mirrorless cameras that are light weight as compared to the DSLRs. The answers are embedded in the following 4 questions:

1. Why should one move to a new system and invest money when he/she can put the same money in traveling farther and/or more often to earn photography experience?
2. Why should one invest so much time in learning a new system than to put the same duration of time to improve his/her photography skills with the existing system?
3. Why should one invest money in a better quality camera when vloggers like Tony and Chelsea tell us all the time that putting quality lenses on a low quality camera is far better than putting low quality lenses on a high quality camera?
4. Speaking from my area of interest, since I am able to take pictures with my right hand alone as I almost always have leash of my dogs in my left hand as they walk on that side, do other better cameras and systems offer me the same kind of ergonomics?

I can give you my answer to question # 4. From my recent experience of using Canon and Nikon mirrorless cameras, they don't. However, this is a discussion for another day.
Aww, geeze man. This thread had almost died.
01-23-2023, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your four questions really hit the point. I need to remind myself of your questions when I get a so-called GAS attack especially when it comes to a choice between a better lens or a new camera system. Thanks for posting this.
D. Buss
01-23-2023, 05:51 PM - 2 Likes   #157
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Reviewers are the modern equivalent of camera store salesmen, and I've met lots of those who were incompetent as well.
I've mentioned this before, but I walked into my local pusher's store a while back looking for a Pentax Ltd. lens that had just been released. The salesman told me point blank that they don't deal in third party glass, ironically while standing in front of a display case full of Sigma lenses.

01-23-2023, 05:57 PM - 2 Likes   #158
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DenB Quote
Your four questions really hit the point. I need to remind myself of your questions when I get a so-called GAS attack especially when it comes to a choice between a better lens or a new camera system. Thanks for posting this.
D. Buss
A better lens is almost always the way to go. Neither is guaranteed to improve your photography, but the lens generally offers more potential.
01-24-2023, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can we just say that there have been almost no "bad" cameras released in the last five years? Some are a little better in one way than another, but even the worst of the lot can take high quality images and can auto focus rings around what was available fifteen or twenty years ago.
01-24-2023, 08:29 AM   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Can we just say that there have been almost no "bad" cameras released in the last five years? Some are a little better in one way than another, but even the worst of the lot can take high quality images and can auto focus rings around what was available fifteen or twenty years ago.
I agree.

I think if a person is a dedicated fast moving subjects (e.g., wildlife, sports, etc.) photographer then perhaps a dedicated camera would make sense. For 'lazy' wildlife like I tend to take shots of (New Forest National Park, Yellowstone, Saguenay–St. Lawrence Marine Park, etc.) one does not need those dedicated cameras.
01-24-2023, 08:45 AM - 3 Likes   #161
Pentaxian

I agree.

I think if a person is a dedicated fast moving subjects (e.g., wildlife, sports, etc.) photographer then perhaps a dedicated camera would make sense. For 'lazy' wildlife like I tend to take shots of (New Forest National Park, Yellowstone, Saguenay–St. Lawrence Marine Park, etc.) one does not need those dedicated cameras.
Bottom line, those who criticize other's camera choices are just arrogant. If the images are good, what camera it's taken with is irrelevant. If the images aren't good, it's almost never the fault of the camera. If your camera satisfies you... it's good. Imagining something else is better, doesn't improve your photos. For most people 24 MP is all they need. And most people don't need the absolute best AF. You have to have skills to even make use of it.

Last edited by normhead; 01-24-2023 at 10:15 AM.
01-24-2023, 11:37 AM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well....I would say there are none compared to the '70's. But "none" these days is maybe a tall order---there are so many lens manufacturers these days I can't keep track of them.
01-24-2023, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #163
Pentaxian

Can we just say that there have been almost no "bad" cameras released in the last five years? ..... even the worst of the lot can take high quality images and can auto focus rings around what was available fifteen or twenty years ago.
Good job you said "almost". Looks like the once respected Yashica name has got into the hands of some toymakers :

https://petapixel.com/2018/10/18/yashicas-unexpected-y35-digifilm-camera-is-unexpectedly-bad/
01-24-2023, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #164

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Aww, geeze man. This thread had almost died.
How about we bring it back to life with a few jokes! How about this one: What did the camera say when it got lost? It said "I'm so focused on finding my way back home!"
01-24-2023, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #165
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by KFMike Quote
How about we bring it back to life with a few jokes! How about this one: What did the camera say when it got lost? It said "I'm so focused on finding my way back home!"
I'm stealing this for the real joke thread.

No kidding.