Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2023, 01:01 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I swapped a few messages with that seller randr.2012 He says he is a camera technician, this was his last msg:

Hi, was unaware of the .6mm difference in the solenoids and the effect this can have but after reading [your] post on the forum I will take this listing down until I have checked all my current stock.
I replaced my own K50 with an SLR solenoid 7 years ago and have had no further issues with over 83,000 actuations.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention

Kind regards
Richard

I suggested to him to chip in here but I am not sure if he is a member.

03-09-2023, 08:36 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Jester002 Quote
Yes I see it explains it, but I don’t understand how you tell them apart.
There may not be a visual difference, at least not one which can be determined by eye rather than with a micrometer. It could be that there is an electrical difference which could be measured given proper instrumentation.
03-09-2023, 09:17 AM   #18

It seems that there’s a lot of maybes and ifs on this issue but no definitive yes or no answers.
Even on “A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras” it only says (to quote) “it is not recommended to use it”.
And with regards to opposite polarity (I’m informed that means the copper is wound the wrong way) surely that means it would push out rather than pull in, if that’s the case then it could be tested before being installed.
(If it sound like I know what I’m talking about, don’t be fooled I got this from another group)
I did try to contact randy2012 on eBay but he hasn’t messaged me back yet as I saw he was checking his stock.
Anyways I tested my K30 yesterday (upgrade from my old K10D) and all seems to be working fine so I’m only gonna worry if it stops working.

---------- Post added 03-09-23 at 09:34 AM ----------

On another group I got an answer….
To quote…
“If it comes from a SLR then it’s a 6v and if it comes from a DSLR it’s a 7.2v.
But if like all other Pentax models there’s a crossover between models you could find that later MZ-50s and MZ-30s could have the 7.2v in them.
Also early DSLRs that were 6v could have them in to, hope this helps”.

No not really????
03-09-2023, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not an engineer and so I can't comment how significant 6v vs 7.2v might be in this solenoid context, but if his (randy.2012) worked for 80,000+ activations thats good enough to indicate for me that there probably isn't a big issue actually.

03-10-2023, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #20

Hi all.
First I would like to offer my apologies for any errors in my listings on eBay concerning the white solenoids.
I am now aware of the difference and will only sell ones removed from DSLRs as a choice.
There is reference to me being a camera technician so I will add a little story.

At 7, I inherited a film camera (1974) and instantly became hooked.
At 14 I learnt about photography in school using a Pentax K1000 (still my favourite) and this included developing film.
At 16 I joined the army but had a bad accident and was discharged on medical grounds.
I fell back into photography at 18 getting a job in the local photographic shop where I got my films developed.
The owner repaired cameras and as I was interested he trained me and allowed me to attend college where I gained 2 City & Guilds qualifications. One in photography and one in electronics.

With the introduction of Digital cameras and my bosses age he made a decision to retire in 2005 so I brought him out. But due to the countywide financial crisis in 2008 I decided to close for good.
I then became a club photographer which lead me to the USA.
In 2009 whilst in the US I was in a club that was being used as a film set. I was asked to take some images on my K20D.
On my return to the UK I was offered a job as a set photographer, which I loved.
I eventually opened my own studio in 2014 and got to photograph some big stars (Paul Sturgess) and smaller stars (Warwick Davies) to name a few.
I worked on movie sets and in the studio till 2020 when Covid hit.
With everything closed down and no work coming in I was bored.

My retirement mission has always been to own every Pentax film camera, repair them to as new condition and use them but now I had the time so why not start early.
I started buying old cameras from eBay at first and repairing them. After posting some photos in a Facebook group I was contacted by someone looking for spares. I had loads so started selling the parts I didn’t need.
I’d purchased a K50 in 2014 as a back up camera and within a year it had fallen fowl of the aperture issue after roughly 1600 actuations.
It sat in a cupboard for 2 years until a conversation on one of the groups lead to me trying to fix it.
It took me 2 attempts as the soldering can be difficult at first.
I used a solenoid from an MZ and it worked. I still have the K50 today and it’s taken 84,234 actuations and is still going strong even though I used 2 KP’s for work.
My youngest daughter and my wife both have K50s and my eldest son has a K30 which I’ve repaired and I’ve done many others (about 200+ to date) including KS1s, KS2s, K50s, K30s, K500s and K70s.
As far as I’m aware they’re all still working but to confess I don’t know whether the solenoids were 6v or 7.2v, they were whatever I had.
I am a die hard Pentaxian who’s currently sitting at his desk with 23 Pentax cameras on it. (K50, K30, AP, MEF and 19 K1000’s)
I have every Pentax film camera apart from an Asahiflex IIb, ME super SE, a working Z-5 and an MZ-D (here’s hoping)
As for digital cameras I don’t have a working istDL2, a K7, a K5iis, a K3, K3ii or a K1.
And as for K1000’s, I have series 1-5 in boxes and 9 variations of the SE including a Black diamond series 1, can’t you tell who’s my favourite.
I currently own 37 K1000’s.
And for spares the list is too long.
And don’t even ask about lenses.
I am obsessed with the 1980s white box with the red and black stripes and have a nearly complete set of SMC lenses and accessories in these boxes.
So this is me, a hobbyist (always willing to learn more) who sells parts and does repairs to fund his addiction to Pentax.

p.s. Even my springer spaniel is called ‘Asahi’
03-10-2023, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Richard thanks for chipping in with your experience.
03-10-2023, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And thanks for keeping these older cameras alive, especially the digital ones.

03-11-2023, 01:48 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by randr2012 Quote
As for digital cameras I don’t have a working istDL2 …
Definitely an omission … I use mine (unmodified) for infra-red work.
My experience shows the 6Mpixel Pentax cameras are the most sensitive to i/r and the *istDL2 is the only one with Digital Preview … almost as good as LiveView
03-11-2023, 01:56 AM   #24

I search eBay, flea markets, charity shops, car boots etc. for any Pentax Cameras especially film cameras as I hate seeing them going to waste. I see the words broken or faulty as a challenge.
I repair what I can and if I can’t they get used as spares for other cameras.
If anybody needs a part just get in contact, if anybody thinks I’m selling the wrong part then get in contact and tell me as I’m always willing to learn.
I had been sourcing my solenoids from SLR cameras but now I’ll source them from the DSLRs that have 2 in, replacing the one used in the flash with a green one as to keep the camera working
03-15-2023, 06:08 AM   #25
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok,update,i did it this morning,took me over 2 hours,i'm never ever going to do that again,rather pay someone,you see,work wise, i swing things like hammers and angle grinders around most days,that was way way to fiddly for my hands,it also came to a close point where a K70 was about to take wings and fly out the back door
Does it work,well yes it does,the future,i think theres going to be a K70 up for sale in the very soon
Thanks for the help everyone
03-15-2023, 07:50 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well done.
Easier second time around....
03-15-2023, 01:42 PM   #27
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
well done.
Easier second time around....
Wont be a 2nd time round
03-15-2023, 03:14 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shedendman Quote
Ok,update,i did it this morning,took me over 2 hours,i'm never ever going to do that again,rather pay someone,you see,work wise, i swing things like hammers and angle grinders around most days,that was way way to fiddly for my hands,it also came to a close point where a K70 was about to take wings and fly out the back door
Does it work,well yes it does,the future,i think theres going to be a K70 up for sale in the very soon
Good for you repairing your K70! I looked back over the posts, and might have missed it, but where did you get your solenoid?
03-15-2023, 06:21 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shedendman Quote
Braver man than I. I don't have the disposition to handle little tiny parts. I have found someone to do it for me.

Last edited by jimmm18; 03-16-2023 at 06:49 PM.
03-16-2023, 09:24 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I looked back over the posts, and might have missed it, but where did you get your solenoid?
There are a number of people selling incorrect parts. The correct replacement is available from an eBay seller:

Pentax K-30 K-50 K-70 K-S1/S2 K-500 Genuine White Solenoid Part - Japan - | eBay