Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-23-2023, 04:38 PM   #1

K-70 and O-GPS2 Compass Calibration

I just received my O-GPS2 for my K-70, and I have been trying to calibrate the magnetic compass. The GPS is working fine - it acquires the birds, it is GPS locking the camera's clock correctly, and the GPS data displayed on the LCD matches my handheld Magellan Triton GPS. Calibrating the magnetic compass is where I am having a problem. When I try to calibrate the compass no matter where I stand, what the lens bearing is when I begin, or how far or in what order I perform the three rotations, I always end up with the "The operation could not be completed correctly" message. The funny thing is that despite that message the compass bearing displayed on the LCD screen agrees with my handheld Pathfinder compass.

03-23-2023, 05:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have the O-GPS1 and have only used it for 'astro' work, but for these purposes I'd expect the detail to be similar.
"No matter where you stand … " is possibly the critical factor … exactly where are you standing?
In my experience, anywhere within 10ft of my car is likely to result in poor calibration, similarly close to domestic (steel-framed) buildings … I really do need to be "out in the open" for calibration to be swift and easy.
Picking up the GPS satellites is likely to be the least of the problems, there's plenty of those around, but distortion of the local magnetic field does seem to be an important factor for critical setting.
For these purposes, I'd not rely on another GPS-based system for a reference … an old-fashioned magnetic compass (with a needle) is likely to better demonstrate local magnetic anomalies.
Good luck
03-23-2023, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you aware of the instructions/video on Calibration | GPS UNIT O-GPS1 | RICOH IMAGING ? There is also the suggestion do first to a calibration from the wrench menu and afterwards the 'precise calibration' from the astrotracer submenu - see search results here on the forum.
03-25-2023, 09:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
"No matter where you stand … " is possibly the critical factor … exactly where are you standing?
I have tried several places. I have decades of experience at work in making electromagnetic field strength readings in the field using sensitive instrumentation, so I also have decades of experience choosing places which are least likely to be contaminated by existing magnetic or electrostatic fields.

For these purposes, I'd not rely on another GPS-based system for a reference.
Note that I said I checked it with my Pathfinder. I have decades of experience at work using magnetic compasses in the field. The Pathfinder is my favorite because it is designed for field use with topographic maps, which is what I was doing.

---------- Post added 03-25-23 at 12:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Are you aware of the instructions/video on Calibration | GPS UNIT O-GPS1 | RICOH IMAGING ?
Yes, but it contains nothing of significance which I did not find in the O-GPS2 manual. The same holds for the O-GPS2 calibration instructions.

QuoteQuote:
There is also the suggestion do first to a calibration from the wrench menu and afterwards the 'precise calibration' from the astrotracer submenu - see search results here on the forum.
I know - unlike some people I thoroughly read manuals before attempting to use something. It is futile to try to use new, sophisticated, and expensive electronic instrumentation without first reading the manual, and it is wise to always have the manual on hand in the field when using the instrumentation. The O-GPS2 manual is not on the Ricoh site, so as soon as I opened the box I scanned the printed manual and put it on my phone to join the manuals for the K-70, all of my glass, and all of the other photographic items which I use in the field.

Last edited by Dale H. Cook; 03-25-2023 at 09:35 AM.
03-25-2023, 11:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
I have tried several places. I have decades of experience at work in making electromagnetic field strength readings in the field using sensitive instrumentation, so I also have decades of experience choosing places which are least likely to be contaminated by existing magnetic or electrostatic fields.

Note that I said I checked it with my Pathfinder. I have decades of experience at work using magnetic compasses in the field. The Pathfinder is my favorite because it is designed for field use with topographic maps, which is what I was doing.
Sorry for trying to help.
If I'd have been aware of your extensive experience and knowledge and exactly what a "Pathfinder" was I'd have not bothered!
03-25-2023, 02:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
Sorry for trying to help.
If I'd have been aware of your extensive experience and knowledge and exactly what a "Pathfinder" was I'd have not bothered!
You can Google "Pathfinder." Anyone asking a question here who has the kit shown in my sig probably doesn't need basic advice. There are plenty of members here with decades of experience. I started using a loaner Hasselblad and a school-owned Speed Graphic in the late '60s, used my Instamatic and my dad's ca. WWII Leica for years before that, and got my first SLR in 1969. Some experienced members just have a new bit of kit that they may be having a problem with, and may need some advice from members who have experience with that bit of kit or something similar.
03-26-2023, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@kypfer and @JensE, thanks for testing the water . I'm not brave enough to contribute but if I were, I'd say try "vigour" or is it "vigor" in USinglish?

BTW I googled, a Pathfinder is an SUV made by Nissan and sold in Australia, and a Compass is the same, made and sold by Jeep. That's sorted that confusion out.

03-26-2023, 06:12 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
BTW I googled, a Pathfinder is an SUV made by Nissan and sold in Australia, and a Compass is the same, made and sold by Jeep. That's sorted that confusion out.
Here's an example - Pathfinder Military Map Compass