Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2023, 09:17 AM - 4 Likes   #1

K-x to K-70 Glad I switched

I'm an old fart and have been pretty happy with my K-x for quite a few years.
Several months ago I kinda got the bug for a new camera. Do I need a new camera
or is the one I have still doing the trick for me and my limited ability? Will a new camera
make me any better looking or thinner or taller or useful. No way! However, it finally
got the best of me and I bought a new K-70 mostly because I couldn't afford nor justify
the cost of the K-3 iii OR K-1 ii. I joined this group mostly for kicks & giggles and to
hopefully, learn a thing or 3 about Pentax cameras. (which I really like)
I just wanted to say, I am enjoying this site an awful lot. And as far as my K-70 goes
I am totally Impressed. I pulled out my K-x last night and it just felt like a child's toy
compared to the K-70. It does everything I need a camera for and maybe a touch
more. I don't know what to do with the old K-x now other than put it on the shelf with
my ME Super. They look good together and seem to be getting along with each other.
I find myself Already thinking about that K-3 iii.

03-29-2023, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

From one old fart to another :-
Take the time to work through the Operating Manual for your K-70 and at least make yourself aware of what the camera is capable of … make notes of points of interest so you'll know where to find them when you want them.
Believe me … it'll save what seems like ages of searching when you find yourself in "that situation" and you can't remember how to achieve whatever you envisage.
The K-70 is extensively customisable, it really is worthwhile getting it set up to suit your preferences!
The K-70 is a whole order of magnitude up from the K-x, with a hatful of tricks you may have never even dreamed possible! … the K-3iii is another big step up again, but that's another story
Enjoy your K-70
03-29-2023, 02:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used a K-70 for several years as a primary body, though now it gets used far less as my KP is a better experience. It's a great camera though some few have found aperture block problems (probably not an issue with a recently produced unit... had 2 and still have one of the early units and never had an issue certainly).

It has a very modern sensor compared to the K-x. You should be pleased.
03-29-2023, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #4

I just upgraded from a K-x to a K-70 and I'm very pleased with it too. I do a lot of macro photography and the 24.24 megapixel sensor of the K-70 is much better than the K-x 12.4 megapixel sensor. Much more detail, better color, and it feels all the way around a much sturdier camera. No regrets here at all.

03-29-2023, 09:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went from a K-x to a K-50, then a K-70. In each case, the upgrade was well worth it. If you have a late model K-70, it should have a solenoid that's not prone to failure, but if it was an earlier production one, then it may have the dreaded aperture solenoid that is prone to failure, but the good news is the K-x should have one or two older, highly reliable solenoids that can be used for a repair, so it's probably worth keeping for sacrificial use if by chance the K-70 fails.
I find the K-70 a really capable camera for what I want to do, although if money were no object, a K-3 III or K-1 II would be tempting, but I'm really happy with what I've been able to achieve with the K-70.
03-30-2023, 03:50 AM   #6

I bought my K-70 in 2018 after more than 50 years as an SLR owner, the last 35 of those as a Pentax owner. I wanted a DSLR that I could grow into and not grow out of, and the K-70 more than fits that description. Even after 5 years I am still learning new tricks with the body. I have spent more on glass in 5 years than I spent on the body, but I knew that was going to happen. I started with just the body and my old Pentax SLR glass, but now own two primes and a zoom which are all automatic, plus a big manual zoom used only on a tripod. I am fortunate to have an excellent local Pentax dealer because I like to try glass before spending hundreds of dollars on it.

Last edited by Dale H. Cook; 03-30-2023 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Added local Pentax dealer
03-30-2023, 02:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
I bought my K-70 in 2018 after more than 50 years as an SLR owner, the last 35 of those as a Pentax owner. I wanted a DSLR that I could grow into and not grow out of, and the K-70 more than fits that description. Even after 5 years I am still learning new tricks with the body. I have spent more on glass in 5 years than I spent on the body, but I knew that was going to happen. I started with just the body and my old Pentax SLR glass, but now own two primes and a zoom which are all automatic, plus a big manual zoom used only on a tripod. I am fortunate to have an excellent local Pentax dealer because I like to try glass before spending hundreds of dollars on it.
You're remarkably restrained in your lens acquisition.

My move from Pentax film SLR to DSLR occurred in 2012 with a K-x, followed 3 years later with a K-50 then in 2019 with a K-70. Initially I also started just with my SLR glass and the two kit lenses that came with the K-x, but since then I've acquired 4 AF primes, 4 manual primes (including 2 screw mount Super Takumars), and I think 11 AF zooms. A few are double ups, as I've started cheap and upgraded when I could, and I could afford to cull a few lenses from my collection.
I've got focal lengths from 10-500mm covered between my collection.
There are lenses that get more use than others, but some that get used less often that are well worth retaining for specific purposes. Money permitting, there are still lenses I'd like to acquire, that would render more of the existing ones redundant.
I think 5 or 6 lenses would cover me for all the kinds of subjects I enjoy photographing, with just 3 capable of covering about 90% but a couple of lenses that would make that ideal collection are rather expensive, so I continue with my rather diverse assortment.

10-18-2023, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I too just added a K-70 to my stable (K5 and K10 are my Pentax bodies). Picked up a little used body (1800 shutter count) and 18-135 for around US$300 . I wanted the 24mp sensor, wifi and adjustable rear screen. That it also has pixel shift , astrotracer , moire filter etc is just an added bonus. Should be just the ticket.

Last edited by saladin; 10-18-2023 at 04:20 AM.
11-26-2023, 11:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
I too just added a K-70 to my stable (K5 and K10 are my Pentax bodies). Picked up a little used body (1800 shutter count) and 18-135 for around US$300 . I wanted the 24mp sensor, wifi and adjustable rear screen. That it also has pixel shift , astrotracer , moire filter etc is just an added bonus. Should be just the ticket.
I started my digital ith with the Pentax istD around 2005. Then about 2010 I moved up to the K-x. Liked so much I bought a secondhand one so I had a matched pair. Late in 2019 I had the itch to upgrade so sold the second hand K-x and bought a K-70. Having a new GAS attack, contemplating trying to ell my K-x to buy another K-70.

I must admit that my K-x has been a great camera and provided me with some pretty good quality photos. But, the K-70 has really upped the bar and I appreciate its IQ, color and abilities. I am a fan.
12-04-2023, 02:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

As I do a lot of landscape photography, I love the articulated screen especially when shooting vertically.
12-04-2023, 03:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Re.: m"But, the K-70 has really upped the bar and I appreciate its IQ, color and abilities. I am a fan."

I think you'll appreciate the low light performance and/or it's performance up to 3200 or even 6400 ISO with stopped down or non-wide lenses.
12-04-2023, 06:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Re.: m"But, the K-70 has really upped the bar and I appreciate its IQ, color and abilities. I am a fan."

I think you'll appreciate the low light performance and/or it's performance up to 3200 or even 6400 ISO with stopped down or non-wide lenses.
I haven't tried the high ISO settings. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll have to try it.
12-05-2023, 04:40 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I haven't tried the high ISO settings. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll have to try it.
I live well north of you and this time of year between the number of cloud layers we typically have above us and the thick spruce canopy we have if you're in the woods, it can be very dark even at noon. Like yesterday, for example. I often will shoot at at least 1600 esp. w/ the relatively slow 16-85mm.
12-05-2023, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I live well north of you and this time of year between the number of cloud layers we typically have above us and the thick spruce canopy we have if you're in the woods, it can be very dark even at noon. Like yesterday, for example. I often will shoot at at least 1600 esp. w/ the relatively slow 16-85mm.
I have been in a photography slump lately. Have not been in the mood for some time and in August I wrecked on my motorcycle, broke a kneecap so was not moving well for a couple months. Now the weather is depressing but I do want to get ourt and get some nice pics. Maybe if the snow gives me some good subjects, I'll get back in the groove.