Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2023, 01:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Base Shutter Speed

Hi

would someone be able to tell me how I can set a base shutter speed on my K70 so it wont drop below this, I have this in mind for wildlife work. Currently using U1 as a custom user mode set to manually selecting the aperture and shutter speed with the camera automatically adjusting the ISO. However if I select a high shutter speed this seems gets forgotten once the camera goes to sleep or is powered off.

As with setting an ISO range I would like to be able to set a base shutter speed the camera wont drop below, and will remember as I have missed shots when the camera has reverted to a lower speed, If I can set a base shatter speed depending on the focal length of lens I'm using this will increase my rate of sharper shots.

many thanks

04-30-2023, 01:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Essentially you want a minimum. I can’t recall how to enable that but if you use auto iso you can set the program line to slow/normal/fast. This modifies the lowest shutter speed it attempts to set before raising iso.
04-30-2023, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could just shoot in Tv or TAv with auto ISO, it will stay at the shutter speed you select
04-30-2023, 01:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

^ This. TAv with auto ISO. Shutter will stay at whatever you set it & ISO will climb or lower as required. Aperture stays the same until you change it as well.

You can always "reset" the exposure by pushing the "Green" button if you have to.

04-30-2023, 09:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax cameras don't have this facility built into them. I think some Nikon models have this feeature.

Regards

Chris
05-01-2023, 01:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ColinK70 Quote
would someone be able to tell me how I can set a base shutter speed on my K70 so it wont drop below this, I have this in mind for wildlife work. Currently using U1 as a custom user mode set to manually selecting the aperture and shutter speed with the camera automatically adjusting the ISO
This is the same as TAv mode on your mode dial. Some manufacturers allow you to set an AUTO ISO in Manual mode, Pentax instead uses TAv mode. They are both identical modes.

Your problem is that your camera does not remember the shutter speed last used when it wakes/turns on. If you use TAv mode it will remember your last set shutter speed/aperture on wakeup/turn on

The reason why it wont do this in USER modes is because the USER mode remembers things as they were when the mode was last saved. So you can in your USER mode set for example 1/500s and f5.6....then save the mode. Now it will always default to those settings on wakeup/turn on.
05-02-2023, 09:29 AM - 3 Likes   #7

Original Poster
TAv mode looks like the answer, I have never bothered with it before as was always shooting Manual or custom modes. Feel a bit daft now as it was staring me in the face ! I will look forward to giving it a go next time I am out and about.

p.s just picked up a A series100mm 2.8 (non macro) lens and very impressed with it, may try and post some pictures when I get chance.

Thank you for all your helpful replies

Colin

05-26-2023, 12:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Pentax cameras don't have this facility built into them. I think some Nikon models have this feeature.

Regards

Chris
It is present in K-3 III where you can set a shutter time like asked for in this thread.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3-3.pdf on page 57
05-28-2023, 08:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
It is present in K-3 III where you can set a shutter time like asked for in this thread.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3-3.pdf on page 57
Great. I think that the K3-III is the only camera that has this feature.

Great to see it's been added.

Regards

Chris