Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2023, 11:13 PM   #1

K-x to KF upgrade

Hi all

Long time lurker but first time poster :-)

Apologies for creating a new thread topic, saw a similar but had new question - admin let me know and can merge if like.

Have had a K-x for decade and looking to upgrade to the newest KF model.

After reading the reviews thinking this model over the K-70 due to some of the incremental improvements this KF - albeit at a price of couple of hundred dollars…

I guess another consideration is supportability with firmware updates and other improvements potentially lasting a longer timeframe.

At the moment have Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro and Sigma 18-125mm F3.8-5.6 DC HSM lenses - with the latter being used the most.

Tossing up whether to get the bundle with the Pentax 18-55 WR lens kit rather than just the body as is obviously cheaper rather than getting it separately later. But keen to understand if worth it and lens quality.

Similarly with the GPS modules is worth getting the O-GPS1 secondhand or O-GPS2 for geotagging and very occasional Astro (with the above lens es I have). Are there any major differences between the two for my use case - understand the GPS2 has more satellite support like Galileo, GLONASS etc. But also read the battery life is not as long?

I’m an occasional photographer who tends to use the built in scene modes - though sometimes use the manual aperture, exposure priority and other modes.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and guidance :-)

Cheers!

05-27-2023, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want the 18-55mm for its WR feature, my preference would be the 18-135mm WR. This is the combo I'm considering for a future vacation setup. Currently I'm using my K5iis as my vacation camera, coupled with either the Pentax 18-250mm or the 18-135mm WR. I think the KF would be a nice upgrade, for all the reasons you mention.
05-27-2023, 12:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't have a KF, nor have I used a K-x, but I'm a long-time K-70 user, so here's a few thoughts
Firmware updates are a consideration, but having said that, there was a K-70 update only a few weeks ago, so there's life in the old girl yet
Having said that, the KF has been given support for the new Custom Images that are lens specific … only worthy of consideration if you have or intend to acquire one or more of the relevant lenses.
I have several 18-55mm "kit" lenses and no complaints about image quality. The "plasticky" build does seem to worry some people, but I try to be careful with my gear so that's not an issue.
However, the "non-basic" DA version does have the Quick Shift Focus feature which is missing on the DA AL version, also (I believe) the DA AL isn't supplied with a lens hood (available as an optional extra!) … I find the little "port" in the hood invaluable for adjusting a polarising filter without all the fiddling about
As for "obviously cheaper rather than getting it separately later" … check out the prices of s/h 18-55mm lenses, they're virtually given away. Just make sure you get one of the DA versions with a lens hood
The close-focus on both the DA and DA AL lens is surprisingly good at around 1ft/30cm!
Weather resistance (WR) is also a consideration … these are usually a little more expensive and not quite as readily available second-hand.
I use an O-GPS1 with my K-70 very successfully, so no experience with the O-GPS2, however I have found the battery life, using a rechargeable cell, to be in excess of the quoted figure and never a problem. I always go out with a spare battery in my pocket and if I'm having a "long session" I simply replace the battery after about four hours, "just to be sure"
I use some of the built-in Digital Filters rather than the Scene Modes, but do appreciate the in-camera flexibility of the extra features … I'm also a great fan of "older technology" and frequently use Manual Mode, in conjunction with the magic Green Button, with one or more of my older lenses
Enjoy

Last edited by kypfer; 05-27-2023 at 12:13 AM.
05-27-2023, 03:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do believe you are correct that the KF will receive upgrades longer than the K-70 being its replacement, but whether those future improvements will be valuable is hard to predict. I do have the O-GOS1 and am quite happy with it, but have experience with its predecessor.

On the lens the WR is a big deal, but it would be a better deal with a better lens, Ike the 18-135 and even better, the 55-300 PLM which I have seen bundled a few times (not the non PLM versions)

05-27-2023, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #5

I too made the jump a few months ago after several years of the Kx.
I went with the K-70 over the KF because I'm a cheep old fart. However,
as much as I appreciate the Improvement over the Kx I am absolutely
positive you will really enjoy the KF much better than your old Kx.
I even selected the K-70 over the K-3iii because the K-70 has Plenty
of features to keep me satisfied and the K-3iii actually has a lot of
features that I would probably never use. The K-70 & KF are Really
Both Excellent cameras.
05-27-2023, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all for chiming in with your thoughts and guidance - especially with the lens options - which has had OK reviews here on PF for what it is.

So, ended up ordering the KF kit via a local reputable eBay seller (is a storefront) here in AU. Here this weekend they are offering 22% off (up to $300 max), if an eBay Plus member (not sure if this is a global thing or just here).

Will keep an eye out for the O-GPS units both s/hand and new.. pity it isn’t included inside the body these days (more for the geotagging rather than the Astro tracking).. oh well..

Also will keep looking out for the ebook here - understand the K70 one will be updated for the KF shorty as per the post in that sub-forum

Thanks and Cheers! :-)
05-27-2023, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome as a member of PF, from a fellow Aussie.
QuoteOriginally posted by chicane70 Quote
So, ended up ordering the KF kit via a local reputable eBay seller (is a storefront) here in AU. Here this weekend they are offering 22% off (up to $300 max), if an eBay Plus member (not sure if this is a global thing or just here).
Presumably you are referring to dcxpert - I have bought from them many times, and yes they are a reliable supplier. They supply from the official distributor, C R Kennedy and you get the full official warranty. They usually have the best prices for K-mount gear when there are sales like this.

Enjoy the KF - it's an extremely capable camera. My humble suggestion would be to look for some lens upgrades to get the most from it. If you shoot wildlife at all, the DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 would be a big upgrade from your Sigma 70-300. Also consider an affordable prime in your preferred focal length - the cheap plastic fantastic DA 35 f2.4 ($163 new in the current dcxpert sale) and DA 50 f1.8 ($131 on sale) or a previous generation (including manual focus) lens would be great fun. So would a macro lens (not just for macro - even the cheapest ones are invariably very sharp), if that interests you. If you shoot a lot of landscapes, you might also want to consider a lens wider than 18mm, like a Sigma 10-20, Pentax DA 12-24 or DA 15 Limited.

If I may continue the unsolicited suggestions. Try to wean yourself off the scene modes and use one of the modes where you have control - maybe starting with P mode, where you can override the default settings as you see fit. I'd also suggest dabbling in shooting RAW and doing your own processing - that gives a lot more creative control. You can set it to shoot RAW and jpg (using the jpg presets or creating your own) at the same time for the best of both worlds. I took that step when going from the K100D to the K-30 and it was a revelation. It's worthwhile even for "everyday" snaps.

Last edited by Des; 05-28-2023 at 03:00 PM.
06-15-2023, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Hi all

Sorry for delay in response and thanks for your tips.

Got it from dcexpert and had the CR Kennedy tax invoice - via eBay which had a 20% off promo that weekend - came within a couple of days.

Finally unboxed it and also got the O-GPS1 unit secondhand from ebay here - seems to work OK after taking a bit to fix onto satellites.
Tested OK with the existing lenses - though they all have different diameters so have to get new polarising filters for each :-)

Once slight annoyance is that you cant seem to charge battery using Micro-USB port and have to drag the battery charger around (or buy another)

At the time, one of the main attractions for the K-x was you could use AAs - mainly eneloops or Lithiums as a backup.

Also will keep an eye out for when the ebooks go on sale next - just missed out - looks like they are quite informative!

Going to Japan in July / August - so maybe able to get some accessories there.

Cheers
06-20-2023, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Enjoy the new camera and be sure to post some photos.
Once slight annoyance is that you cant seem to charge battery using Micro-USB port and have to drag the battery charger around (or buy another)
The K-3iii is (I think) the first Pentax DSLR that allows charging the battery in-camera with a (supplied) USB cable. Unfortunately, however, that is the only way to charge it that is provided with the camera. The AC battery charger is sold separately.

It is always prudent to carry a spare battery anyway.
At the time, one of the main attractions for the K-x was you could use AAs - mainly eneloops or Lithiums as a backup.
I think the last camera that could run on AA batteries (with an adapter) was the K-50. I had a AA adapter for my K-30, but in practice I rarely used it. A spare DLi109 battery was lighter and more compact to carry.

Last edited by Des; 07-31-2023 at 02:38 PM.