Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2023, 10:08 PM   #16
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Hey, all...

One of Santa's helpers contacted me recently, needed to know which Arca-Swiss plate the K-70 uses. Anybody using these Q-R thingies have a clue (or better, a part number!)?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Julie

Just get another Q R plate that goes with the ball head you want to put your K 70 on...... problem solved.

Dave

10-31-2023, 12:49 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I too use pan and tilt for the same reason, and I have an inexpensive non-model-specific L-bracket on my K3 - I find it ideal to switch rapidly from landscape to portrait mode without needing to re-align anything. Mine is attached to the battery grip, so no risk of straining the camera body by overtightening. My Sigma 150-500 has a foot which fits Arca-type head, and I also have an Arca clone plate on my Leica spotting scope. Only issue I have ever found (operator error !) is not fully tightening the clamp on the tripod head, but the plates I use have a 'stop' built in to prevent the camera sliding off forrards or back'ards.
10-31-2023, 02:42 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Julie

Just get another Q R plate that goes with the ball head you want to put your K 70 on...... problem solved.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. Frankly I don't want to attach the K-70 to the ball head, not my idea at all. All this started when we happened to be out together, he had his tripod (with the ball head) and I didn't have mine (with my own QR rig). Long story short, he offered the use of his tripod (tricky shot, I was prepared to use a beanbag equivalent), scrounged in his bag for an Arca plate, voila, problem solved for the moment. Then it morphed into A Project, to get an Arca plate for me to keep in my bag. Not my idea. Solution in search of a problem, methinks

But yeah, a generic plate in the bag would probably work just fine on the off chance I'd need to do this again. Or, perhaps just convert the existing QR rig on my tripod to Arca-Swiss. Pricier option, no mistake, but it would save me the hassle of messing with that fiddly ball head IF -- big if! -- I needed to use his tripod instead of mine.
10-31-2023, 12:54 PM   #19
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Thanks, Dave. Frankly I don't want to attach the K-70 to the ball head, not my idea at all. All this started when we happened to be out together, he had his tripod (with the ball head) and I didn't have mine (with my own QR rig). Long story short, he offered the use of his tripod (tricky shot, I was prepared to use a beanbag equivalent), scrounged in his bag for an Arca plate, voila, problem solved for the moment. Then it morphed into A Project, to get an Arca plate for me to keep in my bag. Not my idea. Solution in search of a problem, methinks

But yeah, a generic plate in the bag would probably work just fine on the off chance I'd need to do this again. Or, perhaps just convert the existing QR rig on my tripod to Arca-Swiss. Pricier option, no mistake, but it would save me the hassle of messing with that fiddly ball head IF -- big if! -- I needed to use his tripod instead of mine.
HI Julie
I have 3 tripods with Arca-swiss plates and they all don't play well with each other and one generic plate that does.

Dave

10-31-2023, 01:01 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
HI Julie
I have 3 tripods with Arca-swiss plates and they all don't play well with each other and one generic plate that does.

Dave
Aha, you've just confirmed my suspicion, it had to do with sleeping dogs <heh>...I shall just continue with the existing QR rig I have. Works fine, when I need it. No fiddling! Thanks!
11-06-2023, 03:21 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Late to the thread - but might some Blutac, or similar, material between the clamp and the body "solidify" the connection?

Perhaps not, but maybe something similar between the two - anyway that stuff is cheap and easy to get and try.
12-04-2023, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #22

Pentax Compatible L-Brackets

Check out Pro Media Gear. I have a Straight L-Bracket on my K-50 and an Offset L-Bracket on my K-70, which easily accommodates the articulating LCD. Even includes an Allen-wrench in a magnetic holder for quick adjustments when needed. promediagear.com