Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #16
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I guess I was so Smitten by the K1......this slipped by me completely unnoticed until about an hour ago.

Be honest, you were really mulling over the secondary offer I made on your K-3 II.

06-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #17

It's crazy isn't it, replacing the K-S2 already? It's been out exactly 16 months.
06-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There's no formal word that this is a replacement for the K-S2 camera.
06-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
There's no formal word that this is a replacement for the K-S2 camera.
Does there really need to be? Just look at the body form and then look at it's specs and price. I'd say it is the replacement on paper even if they have a ton of stock left to unload.

I'm not sure what a KS-3 would be. Do they add your beloved IBIS SR to movie mode and maybe 1080p60? ..4k30? They can't go too much further on AF or burst as it would eat into K-3 II sales. There is no market for a different K-S3 because, in essence, this K-70 *is* a K-S3!

06-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Fully agree, just as the K-S2 was essentially the replacement for the K-30/50 really, a K-60 if you will.

I can't see any reason to keep both the two lines going now.
06-10-2016, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Hahaha, I love how some ppl think they know better than Ricoh/Pentax simply because they believe their own conclusions..
Very entertaining
06-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fully agree, just as the K-S2 was essentially the replacement for the K-30/50 really, a K-60 if you will.
That was the understood "fact" last year when the K-S2 was introduced ... but Pentax still listed the K-50 in their catalog the last time I checked, and only in the past week have some merchants started listing the K-50 as "discontinued".

I can't see any reason to keep both the two lines going now.
Pentax has been very opaque in their thinking.

06-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
but Pentax still listed the K-50 in their catalog the last time I checked
FWIW, the Pentax Japan cameras page shows the K-1, K-3 II, K-70, K-S2, and K-S1. The K-50 is under 'Discontinued Model'.
06-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That was the understood "fact" last year when the K-S2 was introduced ...
Actually, that was the mis-understood fact.

Ricoh cleared this up in at least one interview.
06-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #25

Why keeping the K-Sx series makes sense for Pentax.

Can't see the K-S range continuing to be honest. They're just that close now.
I think Pentax will keep the K-S series to experiment new things (not very high end though as it wont make sense for that category like say more af points, group AF etc.) rather than bringing them out directly into the K-x0, K-3 & full frame series.

I see the K-S series like a beta release of a product & depending upon customer satisfaction they can introduce these changes in the more serious models in even more polished form.

The next thing I'm expecting is the introduction of touch screen, this will really help in live view, video AND NAVIGATING THE LENGTHY MENUS OF PENTAX (seriously, touch will help navigating those epic menus making it faster with less button presses). Canon & Nikon already have it.
This may not be as simple as it sounds since they will have to give a serious overhaul to the existing proven but dated interface.
A special quick menu mode for touch can be expected. So Pentax may experiment this with the K-S3 with a few more features added. & if successful we may see this in the K-90 & K-3 III.

This could be the approach Pentax is following.
06-11-2016, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
I think Pentax will keep the K-S series to experiment new things (not very high end though as it wont make sense for that category like say more af points, group AF etc.) rather than bringing them out directly into the K-x0, K-3 & full frame series.

I see the K-S series like a beta release of a product & depending upon customer satisfaction they can introduce these changes in the more serious models in even more polished form.
I think the K-S series is definitely the skunkworks of Pentax and they shouldn't be afraid to try new things out. And Pentaxians shouldn't apply "Pentax" standards other than K-mount support and superb IQ to the K-S cameras. Pentaxians complain that Pentax (Hoya and now Ricoh) aren't innovative enough yet complain nine ways to Sunday when they try out new things on the K-S series. The K-S series is meant to depart from the "Pentax" standards. The aim was an attempt to expand the market appeal to the Pentax (K-mount) so it is no wonder the K-S cameras have little appeal to the existing market of hard-core Pentaxians.Perhaps they should be branded Ricoh but then all the Chicken Little Pentaxians would be running around saying Ricoh is killing off the Pentax name. As I recall Ricoh has said that their K-mount cameras would always be branded "Pentax". K-S models should not be seen as replacements of K models. RIcoh said this numerous times about the K-S2. The K-S and K series are divergent development paths although there will be some cross-over or sharing of features between the two.

A touch screen in the near future would certainly make sense considering the target market Ricoh seems to be aiming for with the K-S series. The OS and/or CPU may be limiting factors. Perhaps an intermediate step would be advanced menus via a smartphone, pad/tablet via WiFi
06-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I think the K-S series is definitely the skunkworks of Pentax and they shouldn't be afraid to try new things out. And Pentaxians shouldn't apply "Pentax" standards other than K-mount support and superb IQ to the K-S cameras. Pentaxians complain that Pentax (Hoya and now Ricoh) aren't innovative enough yet complain nine ways to Sunday when they try out new things on the K-S series. The K-S series is meant to depart from the "Pentax" standards. The aim was an attempt to expand the market appeal to the Pentax (K-mount) so it is no wonder the K-S cameras have little appeal to the existing market of hard-core Pentaxians.Perhaps they should be branded Ricoh but then all the Chicken Little Pentaxians would be running around saying Ricoh is killing off the Pentax name. As I recall Ricoh has said that their K-mount cameras would always be branded "Pentax". K-S models should not be seen as replacements of K models. RIcoh said this numerous times about the K-S2. The K-S and K series are divergent development paths although there will be some cross-over or sharing of features between the two.

A touch screen in the near future would certainly make sense considering the target market Ricoh seems to be aiming for with the K-S series. The OS and/or CPU may be limiting factors. Perhaps an intermediate step would be advanced menus via a smartphone, pad/tablet via WiFi
CPU performance may be limited by aother factor. We are dealing with a fully sealed body. But a higher frame rate or bandwidth in video or/and high speed CPU will create a lot of heat which needs to be dissipated & a sealed air tight enclosure doesnt work well with this. so speed probably is kept limited.

only way out seems a highly efficient cpu using better architecture with least power consumption.
06-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #28

I just don't understand Pentax' product nomenclature and strategy. Is there some method to it? I mean Nikon has a fairly clear road map and you sort of know where you stand. D3xxx, D5xxx, Dx00, Dx etc. Canon too. Pentax seems to give up and start again every few months. (scratches head)
06-12-2016, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Does there really need to be? Just look at the body form and then look at it's specs and price. I'd say it is the replacement on paper even if they have a ton of stock left to unload.

I'm not sure what a KS-3 would be. Do they add your beloved IBIS SR to movie mode and maybe 1080p60? ..4k30? They can't go too much further on AF or burst as it would eat into K-3 II sales. There is no market for a different K-S3 because, in essence, this K-70 *is* a K-S3!
I think a touch screen for the K-S3 would really make a great difference. Canon & Nikon's competing models already have it. Will make traversing those pentax menus very easy plus one touch AF in LV/video.
06-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
I think a touch screen for the K-S3 would really make a great difference. Canon & Nikon's competing models already have it. Will make traversing those pentax menus very easy plus one touch AF in LV/video
I guess touch screen would be OK if there were a menu provision for disabling it.

Personally
, I don't find the Pentax menu system to be at all onerous. I set up the camera once to be what I want, and then use the buttons / dials to make most changes {and use the menu system only on occasion to make sure the date/time are still right}