Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K70......where did this come from ?

I just got notified of a New Release through Adorama. Does anyone know if this camera is going to be a replacement for the K3II or for the KS2......and it does have have Wi-Fi ?
It Looks like the same sensor of the K3II and the Pixel shift looks very similar , but has the articulating screen similar to the KS2.
What has my curiosity up is does it have an improved Diaphragm Control block upgraded from the K30/K50/KS2 that has been so prone to premature failure ?

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 06-08-2016 at 09:14 PM.
06-08-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you checked out the Front Page or the News & Rumors section? Lots of info there.
06-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I just got notified of a New Release through Adorama. Does anyone know if this camera is going to be a replacement for the K3II or for the KS2......and does it have Wi-Fi ?
It Looks like the same sensor of the K3II and the Pixel shift looks very similar , but has the articulating screen similar to the KS2.
It's a replacement for the K-S2 (the specs are very similar) and K-50. It does have Wi-Fi. All the info can be found here:

Pentax K-70 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

The K-70 also has some features from the K-3 II, such as pixel shift support and 14-bit RAW. This is evidence of a trend toward more advanced DSLRs, even at the entry level.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-08-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Have you checked out the Front Page or the News & Rumors section? Lots of info there.
I guess I was so Smitten by the K1......this slipped by me completely unnoticed until about an hour ago.

06-08-2016, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I guess I was so Smitten by the K1......this slipped by me completely unnoticed until about an hour ago.
That's a pretty damn good excuse!
06-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Can't see the K-S range continuing to be honest. They're just that close now.
06-09-2016, 12:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first impression: It's a K-S2 made somewhat stodgy looking (less stylish) and given a slight bump in sensor resolution, which is of dubious value.

06-09-2016, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Can't see the K-S range continuing to be honest. They're just that close now.
It depends. I think the K-S series was/is meant as a testing bed and can mean all sorts of wildly different cameras. Sort of like the K-01. So basically if released today the K-01 would be called the K-S3, or if the K-01 had been a success perhaps the K-S1 would have been the K-02 and the K-S2 the K-03. So eventually there may be another K-S camera, and it could be anything. The K-S2 design seems to have paid off a little, and thus they let it influence the K-70... the features people liked on the K-S2. If there is going to be a K-S3, it should have a feature or design that is somehow strange, and Pentax has no idea if people will like it.

Anyway that's how I read the press releases back at the time. And I thought it was a good idea to be more playful, experimental, inventive and interesting without alienating their loyal fanbase.

Also, even if that was the intention, Pentax may have changed their mind again. Who knows.

Btw. I still like the idea of having a K- followed by a letter denoting the line of cameras and then a number, that is always +1 in the next version. That way there can be an entry level line, an experimental line, a mirrorless line, a mid range APS-C line, a flagship APS-C line, a mid range FF line and a flagship FF line, all without much confusion (people simply know the Mercedes A class is a small hatchback, the B class a small MPV, CLA a small sedan, C a sedan, ... once you know that it all becomes very clear and easy to understand.
06-09-2016, 05:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
My first impression: It's a K-S2 made somewhat stodgy looking (less stylish) and given a slight bump in sensor resolution, which is of dubious value.
My thoughts exactly ! I guess we will have to wait and see if the sensor they are now using produces images as clean as I'm hoping.
06-09-2016, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's a replacement for the K-S2 (the specs are very similar) and K-50. It does have Wi-Fi. All the info can be found here:

Pentax K-70 Officially Announced - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

The K-70 also has some features from the K-3 II, such as pixel shift support and 14-bit RAW. This is evidence of a trend toward more advanced DSLRs, even at the entry level.
Why not merge this thread with this one then?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/323130-new-pentax-k...ml#post3671799
and with this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/322950-detailed-spe...ax-k-70-a.html
and/or any other similar threads "announcing" the same story?

Last edited by jpzk; 06-09-2016 at 06:37 AM.
06-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #11

The World According to @kenspo

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Not all info is correct. Even many belive it, K-70 is NOT replacement for K-50. I have all info here, but i won't step over the line again..haha

There are more interesting stuff going on then the K-70
I think Ricoh pushed the K-70 out mainly to quell any fears that they would be abandoning the APS-C K-mount format.
06-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I think Ricoh pushed the K-70 out mainly to quell any fears that they would be abandoning the APS-C K-mount format.
Something like that. More exciting stuff behind closed doors
06-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The World According to @kenspo

The changes are quite big though... IMHO. New sensor, new capabilities ...

A new processor would be nice though, and may result in 4K.

Last edited by kadajawi; 06-09-2016 at 09:38 AM.
06-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Something like that. More exciting stuff behind closed doors
Any chance of this "new" sensor beating the high ISO capabilities of the K3; I mean: "better" ?
06-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Why not merge this thread with this one then?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/323130-new-pentax-k...ml#post3671799
and with this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/322950-detailed-spe...ax-k-70-a.html
and/or any other similar threads "announcing" the same story?
There's certainly a bit of duplication, but I can't really merge them as one was pre-announcement. They'll die naturally, I hope!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: