Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
AF-S is fine as long as it focuses SLOW. I'm afraid it won't work that way... hopefully at least with the new lenses it does.
I'm sure it'll still be slow and smooth as it always has been, just more accurate thanks to the PDAF.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hildalill Quote
My K-30 is small, light, weathersealed and works with my Sigma 120-400. It's perfect for strolling around in the woods, I love it! But the k-30 is so slow and the buffer is filled at once. Could the k-70 be something to replace the k-30 with?
I'd say that yes, it would be a nice upgrade. The AF will also be faster as the K-70 has the more sensitive SAFOX X from the K-5 II. However, if you want a really big burst buffer then the K-3 or K-3 II would be the way to go.

The K-70's buffer is 40 JPEG/8 RAW based on the specs, whereas the K-3 can do at least 50/24, and that's at 8.3 FPS. At 5 FPS it will get you even more.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-09-2016, 03:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
PDAF on sensor will only be used in live view.

The core of the K-70 is the same as the K-30, in terms of max burst fps speed, and buffer size and max 1/6000s shutter speed.

The only way up from these core specs is into the K-5/K-3 pro lines.
06-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

This kind of advancement in the bottom line camera is exciting. I think it signifies development is continuing in the APS-C line and also means improvements to the K-3ii are on the horizon.

I really like this camera, but I am afraid I am too accustomed to the K-5iis handling to like it. I think a K-3ii with a articulating screen is what I am holding out for. This camera does look amazing tho.
06-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
It's good to see that the wifi button has been made customizable, it really was stupid to waste one full button on wifi and restrict it from doing anything else.
The WiFi button doubles as a selfie button when LV is active and you flip the screen out and over. This totally makes sense for the market that this camera was targeted for (which wasn't the hardcore Pentaxian).

06-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
It's gonna get the 24mp sensor (probably even better than the one in K-3 II since it's gonna have a higher max ISO),
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Higher max ISO doesn't necessarily mean better. It doesn't even necessarily mean that it's a different sensor.

It just means that the gain can be cranked up higher, and really, pretty much all DSLRs perform poorly once you start hitting the ridiculous ISO numbers near the top of the range. The question is, how do the two sensors compare at similar aperture numbers. Not saying it won't outperform the K-3ii, just that you shouldn't read too much into a higher max ISO value.
The D-70 sensor supports Hybrid AF in Live View. Doesn't that certainly need a new sensor?
06-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The WiFi button doubles as a selfie button when LV is active and you flip the screen out and over. This totally makes sense for the market that this camera was targeted for (which wasn't the hardcore Pentaxian).
that is fine, but how about making it also customizable, so even the hardcore pentaxian can use it,

after the K-50, K-S2 was the nearest thing to a K-50 successor in the absence of a direct successor, & it seems true especially looking at the features & looks of k-70.

---------- Post added 06-09-16 at 09:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Question #1: for someone already having a pentax dslr, the K70 selling point over existing cameras would be for video use. How about the battery life in video mode, and is it possible to use a grip if the battery life is too less for video?

Question #2: what's the standard silent AF lens to mount on it for video making?
I cant see any electrical contacts down below the K-70.

06-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Will need to go back and check, but am pretty sure that wifi button is configurable on the k-70.

06-09-2016, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad to see this many-featured K-70. My wife's K-50 will be upgraded for Christmas. Done.
06-10-2016, 05:16 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hildalill Quote
What do you think about the K-70 's ability for wildlife photography?

My K-30 is small, light, weathersealed and works with my Sigma 120-400. It's perfect for strolling around in the woods, I love it! But the k-30 is so slow and the buffer is filled at once. Could the k-70 be something to replace the k-30 with?
Definitely worth it. Even Some pentaxians with k-50 have decided to upgrade to k-70.

I see this as a major upgrade as far as autofocus and video is concerned.

Plus buffer is bigger than ks2 which is still a very modern camera.

K70 is really a K-S2 with features from K3 II, K-1 and some which are debuting for the first time in a pentax.
06-10-2016, 05:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Agreed, unless you are holding out for a the K-3iii (or what ever it will be called) this would be a wonderful upgrade. As with all of this stuff tho, it is hard to know when to buy and when to pass.

I am still rocking my K-5 and K-5iis. The 16 megapixel sensor is starting to sow its age when compared to modern sensors but works fine for my current needs. I expect great things in the near future and it will be very difficult to decide when to upgrade.
06-10-2016, 05:55 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Will need to go back and check, but am pretty sure that wifi button is configurable on the k-70.
It surely is configurable but only for
One Push File Format,
Wi-Fi,
Outdoor View Setting,
Night Vision LCD Display,
Preview,
Red,
Electronic Level &
Change AF Area
06-10-2016, 07:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Agreed, unless you are holding out for a the K-3iii (or what ever it will be called) this would be a wonderful upgrade. As with all of this stuff tho, it is hard to know when to buy and when to pass.

I am still rocking my K-5 and K-5iis. The 16 megapixel sensor is starting to sow its age when compared to modern sensors but works fine for my current needs. I expect great things in the near future and it will be very difficult to decide when to upgrade.
I think I'd get a K-3 II. The ergonomics are just too good, and unless you care about your video being in focus (but wobbly), I don't see many improvements. I prefer the shape of the K-3 over the K-S2, and this looks closer to the K-S2 than to the K-3.
06-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I think I'd get a K-3 II. The ergonomics are just too good, and unless you care about your video being in focus (but wobbly), I don't see many improvements. I prefer the shape of the K-3 over the K-S2, and this looks closer to the K-S2 than to the K-3.
I agree, the ergonomics are a big part of why I like my K-5ii and K-5iis. I love the button placement and the LCD on the top of the grip. If I switched, I am sure I would be disapointed, not with IQ / Performance, but in hand use.

I hope the next K-3 replacement will have a articulating screen. I would prefer a popup flash to GPS, but I don't really care which I get.
06-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I keep seeing this referred to as a video upgrade, but not a lot has changed there, only video AF for a select few lenses.

Possibly you could include the Mic in and floppy screen as video features, but Pentax already had those in it's parts bin.

Still no SR in video mode, max frame rate of 60i, assume focus peaking will still turn off once recording has started, no change to clean hdmi out etc. I don't see this as a significant video upgrade at all, with Pentax passing on all the small bits that still require attention.
06-10-2016, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
I hope the next K-3 replacement will have a articulating screen.
Yes, Yes, I hope they are listening