Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2016, 12:02 AM   #46
Pentaxian

--------- Post added 06-24-16 at 12:03 AM ----------

06-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #47
Pentaxian

This camera looks really interesting to me. As it is, I currently don't have much issues shooting my K-50 in low light. Sometimes it can't focus well & it will hunt around in low light, so I have to flip the switch & manually focus myself. If the K-70 can focus even better in low light using a similar AF from the K-50, then that's already a win.

Another plus is the 14bit RAW files. I think the K-50 12bit RAW files are pretty great, but the 14bit RAW from the K-5II/5IIs & the K-3/3II push the usable sensor limit to ISO 12800. That's the extreme limit for my K-50. That's also another win for the K-70. I'm going to guess that IQ will match or maybe even exceed the K-3/3II IQ ever so slightly. The extra 8MP from this camera will allow me to do up to 40x60 prints quite easily.

The flip screen is a plus & minus. Plus for being able to take some neat shots from the ground or up in the air a bit more easier. Minus for being something else that could potentially get loose or break.

Yeah. They dropped a few features & junk, but it looks like features that I never really use anyway. The K-70 looks like it's packed with more win than anything else.

If the K-70 is an indication of what's coming, I can only imagine the awesomeness of the next APS-C flagship. This makes it hard for me to decide what to do near the end of this year. If the K-3/3II is priced aggressively enough ($500 K-3 or $600 K-3II), I might get one. If there are no incentives, then I'll keep shooting my K-50 & get a K-70 in 2018 for probably dirt cheap.

However, if Pentax unveils the specs for the upcoming APS-C flagship & it turns out to be far more amazing than the current K-3/3II with better IQ, I'll keep shooting my K-50 & get the next APS-C flagship sometime in 2020-21 for cheap when it's probably going to be phased out by the following APS-C flagship. First world problems. Hahhaa!
07-04-2016, 03:44 AM   #48
Forum Member

Hi guys!

As I said in the presentation (now maybe still pending for approval), I'm trying to figure out which system to buy to start shooting and I may ending choosing this camera. I'm also interested in those Sigma 18-35 and 50-100... The first one is already available for Pentax, the second one not.

Since with K-70 and that new aperture electronic system... Do you think it will be possible third party lens manufacturers will be more interested in making lenses available also for Pentax KAF4 system? It should be easier (cheaper) for them right?

I know nobody here have glass ball to look in I just want an opinion from you as I start being really interested to Pentax only since the K-70 presentation and I don't know a lot about Pentax system
07-04-2016, 03:58 AM   #49
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasha Quote
Since with K-70 and that new aperture electronic system... Do you think it will be possible third party lens manufacturers will be more interested in making lenses available also for Pentax KAF4 system? It should be easier (cheaper) for them right?

I know nobody here have glass ball to look in I just want an opinion from you as I start being really interested to Pentax only since the K-70 presentation and I don't know a lot about Pentax system
I would never recommend anyone to buy into a particular lens mount or system on the basis of what might be - only ever what is - otherwise, from the outset, the user will spend time hoping for things that don't yet exist. There are plenty of great prime and zoom lenses already available for Pentax (especially APS-C, like the K-70). If they cover your needs (for most purposes they should), and your main interest is stills photography rather than video (which isn't a strong point for Pentax) then by all means consider a K-70... I'm sure you would love it - but consider the KAF4 compatibility and any future KAF4 lenses as a bonus rather than a key feature. I've been shooting with Pentax since 2010 (when my photography experience was very limited indeed), and I can tell you the only limiting factor for me is my ability - not the cameras or lenses

07-04-2016, 06:13 AM   #50
Forum Member

Uhm you're probably right
That's a great advice from you...

I'm not interested in video, as I already have a Panasonic HC-x900 with Rode Videomic Pro which I still want to use... I'll lose something with DOF and noise in low light condition, but that's ok... Which constant aperture zoom do you recommend then to replace that Sigma 50-100? It's hard to find something as fast as that, but that probably doesn.t concern me much...

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
(when my photography experience was very limited indeed)
My skill is probably on par to that level at this moment
07-04-2016, 07:22 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

That's a good looking camera. It reminds me of my SV or K-1000

Last edited by normhead; 07-05-2016 at 05:07 AM.
07-04-2016, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #52
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Which constant aperture zoom do you recommend then to replace that Sigma 50-100? It's hard to find something as fast as that, but that probably doesn.t concern me much...
I don't have much experience of constant aperture lenses in the zoom range you're looking for. The obvious choices would be the Pentax DA*50-135 f/2.8, or the slightly slower, bigger, but - according to test data - optically superior DA*60-250 f/4. Both are technically APS-C only, and neither is cheap, but prices for used examples have come down quite a bit since the release of the K-1. With the 50-135 you need to be careful buying used as a number of earlier units ran into problems with the SDM AF motor. I don't believe the 60-250 has suffered from those problems, based on what I've heard from my preferred camera retailer here in the UK. Both lenses get excellent reviews, and they can be used to good effect wide open - so the 50-135 at least is still pretty fast if that's a priority.

07-05-2016, 04:36 AM   #53
Forum Member

Uhm, I had a look at that Pentax 60-250mm and it's very interesting...
Plus, I already know that Tokina/Pentax 50-135mm and I fin that interesting too... Just hope they will update these lenses sometimes in the future...

I I was doubtful about buying Pentax as I couldn't find some interesenting telephotos... But know... You probably bought me to the Pentax cause
Just hope for that Sigma, but if they won't release that for this system, it won't be a problem anymore... I mean, I couldn't use that without a body with shake reduction... And know I can't use it if I buy Pentax... And it's far more easy that Sigma will release this lens for KAF4 than Canon and Nikon will add SR to their body
07-05-2016, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thing with the DA*60-250 is it's SDM AF, ƒ4 are too slow for action or sports, and for small birds etc that are 15 feet away from you, it's really only about 135mm, because of it's internal focus. It's not 250mm until close to infinity. That being said, it's great all purpose lens and a very capable landscape lens. When I use it for birding I use the F-1.7 AF adapter on it. It speeds up the AF because it's screw drive, and acts a a focus limiter.

Great for wildlife in the park. You can do a crowd shot at 60mm...

And crank it out to the long end for the wildlife everyone has stopped for... at 250mm.

Better at both ends than a 70-200.
And it has pretty much top notch IQ, all through it's range starting wide open.

Altogether an amazing lens.
But, personally, I still ended up buying a 200 ƒ2.8 as well, for low light situations and more magnification in close focusing situations, and for stacking my TCs on.

Last edited by normhead; 07-05-2016 at 05:26 AM.
07-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #55
Forum Member

Wow, these are for sure great shots!
And I also already fell in love with that park by watching to a series of videos made by Chris Prouse who made me want to come there to camp and canoeing as she did for a week

anyway, thank you so much for your feedback!
At this point is clear I have to make up my mind and understand what I realy want/need and decide then accordingly...
For sure I'll buy used... but other than this... don't know... When I was looking to buy that Canon 760D, just right before the K-70 annuncment I was ready to buy that 760D with Sigma 18-35 and Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS II... This Canon is extremely sharp, good AF and very cheap... Then that Sigma 50-100... So I could be able to cover what I need (a versatile telephoto + a zoom which cover 3 prime)... + maybe a Samynag 14mm for timelapses...

Now... I don't really know much...
I can buy Pentax 55-300 + Pentax 50-135... But then I'm a little bit worried about AF speed and resolution of that 50-150mm...
Otherwise I can buy that 60-250, it's good, but I still "need" to buy a prime... We'll see... Hope Photokina will bring something interesting also because those 50-135 and 60-250 are fairly old
07-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, these are for sure great shots!
Hope Photokina will bring something interesting also because those 50-135 and 60-250 are fairly old

"Old" is a relative term.

Whether or not Ricoh has made plans to retire these two * lenses anytime soon is unknown, but, unlikely. They are outstanding, optically, so why should they?
The FA Limiteds are a much older design and still available new because they are so good, and desirable.

Don't hope. Do.
07-06-2016, 06:49 AM   #57
Forum Member

(*as I know more that Pentax/Tokina 50-135 I'll use that as my point of reference)
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
"Old" is a relative term.
maybe I'm too much used to the fast pacing of computer hardware... But a 9 years old lens for me is quite old tech...
I mean, back in 2007, we get a Canon 40D as a update tech, which got an APS-C with 10 MPixel APS-C sensor... And this lens was refered sharp fot that resolution...We have to wait some months more to have the first DSLR with video compatibilities... For me is kind of ages in technology industry...

Whether or not Ricoh has made plans to retire these two * lenses anytime soon is unknown, but, unlikely. They are outstanding, optically, so why should they?
'cause, with a bit of "self-love", I don't find that oustanding optically... And probably I'm not the only one
do not get me wrong. I find that lens (50-135) good and very interesting... but its AF seems to be not so good compared to newer lenses with more sophisticated AF system and its optical quality is not that good... it's soft, with those 20/24Mpixel sensors :/
So I prefer to use that adjective for, for example, those Sigma 18-35 and 50-100...

If I'm not wrong, that Pentax 50-135 share the same optical scheme to that Tokina 50-135...
There can be some differences and some lens variation between specific model of the same product, but I don't think it will change too much from that point you see in this video. Compared with that 18-35, for resolution and chromatic aberration... The gap is not small...

Don't hope. Do.
ahahahahah or "get your gear out" cit. Matt Granger
you're probably right...

---------- Post added 07-06-16 at 06:57 AM ----------

*still can't find that edit button...

P.S. said that
Compared with that 18-35
because that guy reviewed also this lens... A more fair comparison would be with the 50-100 with the same aperture (yet not reviewed) but it would not change much as resolution and chromatic aberration is better with that Sigma too.
07-06-2016, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #58
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@Sasha - in all honesty I would be extremely surprised if either the 50-135 or 60-250 are updated any time soon. They may not be the latest technology, but nor are they particularly outdated, and they are optically good (especially in the case of the 60-250). Lens development for APS-C format will be quite limited for a while, I think, as Ricoh needs to concentrate on developing it's catalogue of full frame glass, and the current APS-C lens line is already quite comprehensive.

Going back to my previous recommendation, I wouldn't waste effort hoping for what may be - that way lies almost certain disappointment. Better to act (or abstain) based only on what is

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-06-2016 at 07:50 AM.
07-06-2016, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #59
Forum Member

@Sasha - in all honesty I would be extremely surprised if either the 50-135 or 60-250 are updated any time soon. They may not be the latest technology, but nor are they particularly outdated, and they are optically good (especially in the case of the 60-250). Lens development for APS-C format will be quite limited for a while, I think, as Ricoh needs to concentrate on developing it's catalogue of full frame glass, and the current APS-C lens line is already quite comprehensive.
My inner soul don't want to admit it... But I feel you are probably right...
Also because, these two lenses were both used to shoot pictures which are located in the K-70 section on the official site...
If Pentax/Ricoh wasn't sure of their quality... They wouldn't be used /

Going back to my previous recommendation, I wouldn't waste effort hoping for what may be - that way lies almost certain disappointment. Better to act (or abstain) based only on what is
Yep, you're probably right...
And even if I'm young and I have all life ahead, it's probably time to bring those money out of my wallet
I have already abstained for a whole year now (started looking for a K-5s II but at that time I was focused also on video) for a perfect system (for me) which never arrived... Time to bring the action ^_^
07-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #60
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I have already abstained for a whole year now (started looking for a K-5s II but at that time I was focused also on video) for a perfect system (for me) which never arrived... Time to bring the action ^_^
You make a good point. The perfect system (for any of us, I would suggest) probably doesn't exist... There are usually limitations (to a greater or lesser extent) with one or more aspects of any system depending on the individual photographer's use case(s). Then again, it's always sobering to remember that less than 20 years ago, professional photographers were doing (almost?) all of what we do now with 35mm film cameras containing much more rudimentary technology. So a huge amount of what we expect and look for now in our camera systems is luxury rather than necessity. As far as DSLRs are concerned, there really isn't a bad choice - all models from all of the brands are very decent, and the same is largely true with the lenses available for them. There aren't really any "bad" cameras or systems, and most lenses - even kit lenses - are capable of good results these days