Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which body whould You choose?
K-70 8755.41%
K-3 7044.59%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #61

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The K3 is by far the supperior camera. Much better build quality, made to last (there far less issues with K3 than with K30/K50 for example and K3 is designed for 200K actualtions). It comes with pro features like high quality AF and tracking, more accurate exposure. there also more direct controls, twice the battery autonomy, support for 2 SD cards
I agree with Nicolas06.
K-3 is the way the go. I was planning to buy K-1 this week and with prices so low now for K-3 with the battery grip I can't pass it up. I am shooting with older and new lenses so I don't care for KAF4 type lenses. K-3 is build like a tank and it has all the features I need except tilt screen, but I can live without it. I don't need wifi, pixel shift since I shoot mostly birds and this is where K-3 shines with high frame rate shooting and dual SD card slot.
K-3 is PRO level built camera where K-70 is more midrange.
I am not trying to discourage anyone from buying K-70, it is awesome camera. Everyones needs are different. Also I was able to hold K-70 in my hands last week in local camera store and I didn't like the size of it. It felt small in my hands. I prefer larger bodies with better grip, but that is also personal preference.

08-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #62

i have been following this discuss since past two weeks....i was 90% inclined towards K70 like 2 weeks back....now i am going to buy a used K3(1year old, with 7K shutter count)

My Analysis :
reason why i was planning to buy K70...
1.New buy
2.WIFI
3.Articulated screen
why was i speculating that 10% was AF points, not a flagship camera

final decision for K3 was based on
1.Articulated screen is good have, but i am fine with it(as a Pentaxian, i m not into fancy stuff ).
2.Wifi...i think having 2SD slots will help me here...you know that i talking about EyeFi and FLUCard

hope i take great pics
08-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by viswanath0408 Quote
final decision for K3 was based on
1.Articulated screen is good have, but i am fine with it(as a Pentaxian, i m not into fancy stuff ).
2.Wifi...i think having 2SD slots will help me here...you know that i talking about EyeFi and FLUCard

hope i take great pics
You gonna love it. I am ordering my K-3 with battery grip. I am still gonna buy K-1, just little later :-)))
08-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by cleaverx Quote
You gonna love it. I am ordering my K-3 with battery grip. I am still gonna buy K-1, just little later :-)))

are you buying an used one or a new one?

08-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by viswanath0408 Quote
are you buying an used one or a new one?
I am buying new. B&H has K-3 for $699 and battery grip for $129..screaming deal. I am buying grip mostly for adding weight to camera to balance better on my tripod and have a benefit of longer battery life with my SMC 500mm f/4.5.
I know it might sound strange but I prefer heavier cameras. Weight is not an issue for me. I am 6'3" with a large hands.
08-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #66
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I am buying new. B&H has K-3 for $699 and battery grip for $129..screaming deal. I am buying grip mostly for adding weight to camera to balance better on my tripod and have a benefit of longer battery life with my SMC 500mm f/4.5.
I know it might sound strange but I prefer heavier cameras. Weight is not an issue for me. I am 6'3" with a large hands.
Great decision, IMO!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #67

good decision

08-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
What it will be used for:
Children (son born on may 2016) - probably about 30% (indor not studio - just simple shots in different houses of family and friends and outdor)
Adult Portrait 20%
Landscape - 30%
Macro and other 20% (as soon as I get some good macro lens - might be manual as I plan to use the distance tubes)
Children at play, probably very little difference between the K-3 and D-70, advantage k-3 with higher burst rate, and more selectable AF points.

Adult portrait.... there's not going to be much difference.

Landscape.... new accelerator and possibly cleaner images , especially with pixel shift enabled... advantage K-70

Macro... pixel shift, the rear flippy screen for low angle shooting or waist level shooting, which also takes advantage to the new phase detect system, gives the K-70 a clear advantage,

Going forward into the future, the K70 is KAF4 compatible, the K-3 is not. Some have suggested the K-3 will be KAF4 compatible, but not anyone who has a clue what they are talking about. (Pentax who do know what they are talking about, has left it off the list of cameras that can be upgraded to KAF4.) My speculation is that KAF4 may make it possible for Sigma and Tamron to get back into K-mount, for KAF4 users. (Sigma has said it is no longer willing to accommodate Pentax's with mechanical apertures.) KAF4 supports an electronic aperture.) I wouldn't purchase a new camera right now without KAF4. I'm considering buying a K-70 as a second body to my K-3, just for all the things it has my K-3 doesn't have.

Plus I love the look of the K-70 silver edition.

Last edited by normhead; 08-04-2016 at 08:41 AM.
08-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW: I find that the 190 batteries for the K3 series far outperform the 109 batteries used in the K30/50/70, especially in colder conditions. Enough so that I would suggest a K3 over the K70 on that basis alone.
08-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
FWIW: I find that the 190 batteries for the K3 series far outperform the 109 batteries used in the K30/50/70, especially in colder conditions. Enough so that I would suggest a K3 over the K70 on that basis alone.
Oh, no not a different battery. That's certainly going to make me reconsider. But only because I already own two or three more 190s than Iown cameras to put them in. IF I didn't have extra 190 batterie already, I'd just say buy more batteries, which is probably what I'll do anyway. Instead of 1 extra , buy 2 extra.
08-04-2016, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #71

Sure wish that Pentax would just use the DL-I90 Battery in all their DSLR bodies and also future mirrorless bodies...
08-04-2016, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
This actualy has no meaning for me as i rarely make over 250 shots a day.. i just prefer to spend some more time on a shot instead of taking a lot of them.. and sometimes just simply not take a shot but look around and smile.. but anyway buying one spare battery to have covered 1k shots is not a problem and almost no additional weight.
08-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gelokrol Quote
This actualy has no meaning for me as i rarely make over 250 shots a day.. i just prefer to spend some more time on a shot instead of taking a lot of them.. and sometimes just simply not take a shot but look around and smile.. but anyway buying one spare battery to have covered 1k shots is not a problem and almost no additional weight.
Understood. It was the colder conditions part that was most significant for me. I have spares, but when using the K30 have to keep them warm in my pocket and exchange batteries about every 10 -15 minutes because of the drop in performance due to the cold. I have used the K3 in far colder conditions without any similar issues.
08-04-2016, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

Understood. It was the colder conditions part that was most significant for me. I have spares, but when using the K30 have to keep them warm in my pocket and exchange batteries about every 10 -15 minutes because of the drop in performance due to the cold. I have used the K3 in far colder conditions without any similar issues.
Something to be aware of, for those of us who haven'r bought other than flagship model since the K-x.
08-04-2016, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gelokrol Quote
Even you know if you take vacations for a week this is not the same to just have 2 batteries, 1 in the camera and one with you and never have to charge for the whole week or even at home to not have to charge the batteries all the time. If I go for a weekend, I'll just go with a small luggage with me, that I can take in the cabin of the plane.

I agree this is not huge by any mean, but this is quite conveniant.

Also that K70 main novelty is LiveView. That consume a LOT, even on the bigger flagship batteries. if you are doing lot of LV work, you may find yourself needing 4-5 batteries a day.