Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which body whould You choose?
K-70 8557.43%
K-3 6342.57%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 11:14 PM   #76
Pentaxian

All in all I find the preview of K70 from Pentax forum quite interresting:
- Most non flagship model don't last much more than 30K actuations in practice... Even if some manage 70K or more, they explain this is not the most common course of event.
- The overhyped PDAF on sensor is overhyped, even more than one could think. I hope this is just a firmware away but reality could be Pentax wanted to play with it and K70 is not the final target, the finished product. Just a try.
- Many flagship features are missing. Dust removal that really work, good autonomy, many direct access control, great AF, wireless flag control, a body made to last (200K actuations), great burst rate
- Only features that are not present in K3-II is an articulated screen and on sensor PDAF. Vs K3 let's add pixel shift. But if you plan to use pixel shift and LV a lot, you'll want a K3 for autonomy alone.

Honestly at current price and current review available, it is very difficult to advise getting a K70 over even old K3. It is not like half the lenses are KAF4 or that video mode is a revolution. Only the articulared screen would be something that you could really miss.

08-05-2016, 07:38 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If people are like me, less that 1% of their images are live view.... that might be 2% with the floppy screen

But statements like

If this, if that , if the other, might mean you may find yourself needing 4-5 batteries a day."

Well, lets not start making up the improbable (shooting live view all day) and project that into the improbable, (needing 4 or 5 batteries.)

I had a Sigma DP2 for which i carried 4 batteries and which seemed to use a battery about every 80 images. I don't recall ever using more than 2.
Battery size and weight power are usually pretty linear. So I doubt 2 D L190 are much smaller or weigh much less than an equivalent weight and size of the equivalent L190, although it is going to cast you a lot more, since the both cost about the same even though the 109 is a lot smaller.
09-09-2016, 07:43 AM   #78
Forum Member

It's probably been posted here somewhere already, but here's a good comparison of the K-70 and K-3 II:

Pentax K-70 vs Pentax K-3 II - A Detailed Feature Comparison - TechTricks : Photography tips and Tricks
09-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #79
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Many flagship features are missing. Dust removal that really work....
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
I've never had problems with dust on my K-30, nor even on my MILC {with its totally exposed sensor} Q-7, once I told it to run "dust removal" every time I turn it on.

09-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
I've never had problems with dust on my K-30, nor even on my MILC {with its totally exposed sensor} Q-7, once I told it to run "dust removal" every time I turn it on.
Well me and my father gone to the same places shooting pictures. At that time I had K3 with primes only (so many lenses change) and him a 18-135 and 1-2 more lens. We had wind and other various difficult conditions at time.

His K30 kept getting durst on the pictures even through a lens like the 18-135 WR and far less lenses change should help the K30 tremendously. Me despite the non WR lenses and lot of lenses change I had no issue.

When my father upgraded to K3, this kind of isues completely disapeared.

In fact the flagships don't use the same way to remove dust, they have an improved system. This is something I would never have botherwed with to be honest, but my father learned it the hard way that it indeed matter in some shooting conditions. That appear stupid, but you can't always fix such pictures and that extremely anoying too. So for me this has some value now.
09-09-2016, 04:41 PM   #81
Veteran Member

My thoughts (as I'm in a similar place):

For K-70
- Light(er)
- KAF-4 (if I purchase the lenses for it)
- Not yet EOL product
- Relatively inexpensive
- Hinged screen (selfie?)

For K-3ii
- Top LCD
- (More) rugged - longer shutter life
- Bigger battery - more shots
- Higher frame rate

As I'm a casual photographer, I might typically go K-70. By the time I wear out the actuator, I'd be ready for a new camera.
The only 'true' reason that I might take a K-3II over a K-70 is for battery/accessories, and a longer life actuator. The K-30 that I have doesn't have the greatest battery lifespan.
09-10-2016, 04:32 AM   #82
Forum Member

I chose a used K-3 II because of the better build quality, especially regarding the shutter. I like idea of an articulating screen which I think would be great for macro shooting, but the possible issue of shutter problems down the road with the K-70 put me off. I have a K-50 without any problems, but it seems like too many people are having difficulties.
03-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #83

Pentax K-70 → K-70 or used k-3/k-3 II?

K-3 had an update afterall for KAF4 See Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

03-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #84
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by whitejeffreyl Quote
Really?? Cool! That settles it, I'll keep my K3 a little longer (along with the K70 and KP haha), and get a PLM lens or two.