Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which body whould You choose?
K-70 8755.41%
K-3 7044.59%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
but since you already have lenses get the K-70 body only, should be available cheaper soon after release.
Or wait until those first few brave suckers have found out the hard way what the teething troubles are (especially with the new KAF4 55-300).

06-10-2016, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

From the Poll it looks like the K7 is edging the K3II out.......Going to assume more People Dig the Wi-Fi and Flippy Screen more than I realized !
06-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #18
Pentaxian

You know, a side benefit of the flippy screen is that you can hide it - so if you want the feel of shooting film, you can take your 24 or 36 shots and THEN flip the screen around to check your results (remembering that in the heyday of film, big city dwellers could easily have their prints back in an hour or less, sometimes much less).
06-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
a side benefit of the flippy screen is that you can hide it - so if you want the feel of shooting film, you can take your 24 or 36 shots and THEN flip the screen around to check your results
+1 absolutely, I used to do this on my old 60D all the time

06-11-2016, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by gelokrol Quote
I am thinking about changing the old k-x for some new body.
In your case I would recommend the K-70, since it essentially today's version of the K-x.

Alternatively, you could look at the K-S2 as it's basically a K-70 without the 24 megapixel sensor (20Mp instead) and hybrid video AF. In almost all other key aspects, the two are identical. This could allow you to invest the difference in price toward a prime lens or two. Also, the K-70 won't be available until August, if that's a factor.

Since features like the articulating screen and Wi-Fi seem to be important to you, I'd stick to those two models.

That said, the K-3 has the following advantages, as a higher "flagship" model:
  • All-metal construction (vs plastic on the outside)
  • More durable shutter (up to 200k actuations)
  • Quieter shutter
  • Silent DR II dust removal (vs. audible DR)
  • Wireless flash control, composition adjustment
  • Higher burst framerate (8.3 FPS) and larger buffer
  • More external buttons, certain functions easier to access
Just something to keep in mind.

In terms of image quality, the K-3 and K-70 are going to be virtually identical, whereas the K-S2 is at a slight disadvantage due to the lower resolution and 12-bit RAW. All 3 are a considerable upgrade over the K-x, however.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
The biggest question for me is does the K70 have the same aperture control block/diaphragm as the K30/K50/KS2 that is somewhat problematic and prone to fail ? I lost two perfectly good K30's to this fault and am starting to read about some KS2 users having the same problem ?
Most likely, yes. But I'm sure they fixed the issue that caused so many failures.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
K-70, because Ricoh has just obsoleted the K-3 by making it incompatible with any new KAF-4 type lenses, such as the new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE.
Let's not jump to conclusions until they actually release the updates. Perhaps support for the K-3 will be included!

In any case, it's not that big of a deal because video-optimized lenses really only make sense on video-optimized bodies. Future lenses will almost certainly stick to KAF3 unless they're designed for video.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

From the looks of this Poll........my barely used K3II with 200 clicks is only going to be worth 2 lbs of Bacon and a brick of Velveeta Cheese by the time its over with !
06-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In any case, it's not that big of a deal because video-optimized lenses really only make sense on video-optimized bodies. Future lenses will almost certainly stick to KAF3 unless they're designed for video.
As far as I know, the 55-300 PLM lens is the only Pentax 55-300mm lens with an in-lens motor; since I originally went from Pentax to Canon because I liked the Canon USM better than Pentax's screw-drive, and came back only because I like Pentax bodies better, finding a camera that supports this lens is something of a big deal to me {besides, I don't like any of the K-S2 color schemes, but I really like the semi-retro silver/black scheme for the K-70}

06-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The biggest question for me is does the K70 have the same aperture control block/diaphragm as the K30/K50/KS2 that is somewhat problematic and prone to fail ? I lost two perfectly good K30's to this fault and am starting to read about some KS2 users having the same problem ?
Good point, probable so
06-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #24
Pentaxian

From the looks of this Poll........my barely used K3II with 200 clicks is only going to be worth 2 lbs of Bacon and a brick of Velveeta Cheese by the time its over with !
It has inestimable worth to you as long as you keep using it. {shouldn't matter what the rest of us think}
06-11-2016, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It has inestimable worth to you as long as you keep using it. {shouldn't matter what the rest of us think}
That's Just the thing.....The K3II sits quietly alone in its bag.......while I burn through the KS2 like there is No Tomorrow.....lol.!
06-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #26
Pentaxian

That's Just the thing.....The K3II sits quietly alone in its bag.......while I burn through the KS2 like there is No Tomorrow.....lol.!
And why is that? {might help to answer OP's question}
Flippy screen and WiFi??

{of course, you always have the K-3ii as a fall-back if the aperture control issue rears its ugly head}
06-11-2016, 06:42 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
and why is that? {might help to answer op's question}
flippy screen and wifi??
exactly....+1.....If I knew this was coming , would have bypassed the K3II for the K7 in a heartbeat.
Not only does it have the Wi-Fi and Flippy screen....but now it has 24mp , increased resolution same as K3 , AND PS !
Hands down a Winner in my book as long as an extended warranty comes along with the initial purchase.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 06-11-2016 at 07:00 PM.
06-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #28
mee
Veteran Member

Deal! I'll even throw in the biscuit dough too so you can make a ham and cheese sammich.
06-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yup dreaded aperture diaphragm block failure, it is such a lovely thing
06-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #30
Veteran Member

From the Poll it looks like the K7 is edging the K3II out.......Going to assume more People Dig the Wi-Fi and Flippy Screen more than I realized !
exactly....+1.....If I knew this was coming , would have bypassed the K3II for the K7 in a heartbeat.
Not only does it have the Wi-Fi and Flippy screen....but now it has 24mp , increased resolution same as K3 , AND PS !
Hands down a Winner in my book as long as an extended warranty comes along with the initial purchase.
K7 is a very old model.