Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #1

Need to look for those subtle changes in K-70 from K-S2 & K-50

In all the talk about & around the upcoming K-70 & the new 55-300 lens like new aperture system, mount backward compatibility & AF speed, we must not forget the minute & subtle changes PENTAX does to every new camera it rolls out.

These small changes contribute a lot to user satisfaction & convenience. I'd like to know these small changes which often go unnoticed, But often affect our overall photographic experience.

Pentax knows this very well.
I'd like to know these small changes in the K-70 as compared to K-S2 and K-50

06-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not subtle but 14 bit, pixel shift, a new bulb mode, and high ISO claims seem pretty interesting. Also image transmitter software compatibility at least similar to KS-2 feature set.

---------- Post added 06-09-16 at 03:53 PM ----------

Very cold weather performance -10C

---------- Post added 06-09-16 at 03:56 PM ----------

Diffraction compensation and fine and extra sharpness options for jpgs.

---------- Post added 06-09-16 at 03:56 PM ----------

RED Mode low light LCD mode for night vision preservation.

---------- Post added 06-09-16 at 03:58 PM ----------

6 frames per second...

---------- Post added 06-09-16 at 03:59 PM ----------

Skin tone correction - something the K-3 struggles with sometimes.

---------- Post added 06-09-16 at 04:00 PM ----------

Return of Interval composite to the camera (K-50 had it, KS-2 didn't I think if I understand this correctly - I could be confused).

---------- Post added 06-09-16 at 04:00 PM ----------

K-3 style multiple auto white balance (zones of white balance mixed in a single frame)

---------- Post added 06-09-16 at 04:03 PM ----------

Buttons - the 4 way and the MENU/INFO/PLAY button are more rectangular and seem likely to be easier to press.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 06-09-2016 at 12:51 PM.
06-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Removal of the additional external trigger port and combining it with the mic input to have less ways for water to enter the camera
06-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Skin tone correction - something the K-3 struggles with sometimes.
This is actually a pretty cool feature if you're a JPEG shooter. Type 1 corrects color and Type 2 adds a snapchat-esque soft filter.

See some examples toward the bottom of this page:

Pentax K-1 Review - General Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Another subtle improvement to the K-70 is that all 3 user modes now have default settings, rather than being blank.

Diffraction compensation and fine and extra sharpness options for jpgs.
K-3 style multiple auto white balance (zones of white balance mixed in a single frame)
These were both present in the K-S2. The latter actually has quite a few more features than the K-3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
Imp
Pentaxian

The mode dial is taller and easier to operate now.
06-09-2016, 03:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter

... a new bulb mode
Oh, I hadn't noticed this. How does it work? I see "up to 20 minutes selectable in Bulb mode" on the PF launch article, so would it be correct to think that you can select an exposure duration and the camera will time the exposure for you? If so, nice!

QuoteQuote:
Return of Interval composite to the camera (K-50 had it, KS-2 didn't I think if I understand this correctly - I could be confused).
K-S2 had this.
06-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Oh, I hadn't noticed this. How does it work? I see "up to 20 minutes selectable in Bulb mode" on the PF launch article, so would it be correct to think that you can select an exposure duration and the camera will time the exposure for you? If so, nice!

K-S2 had this.
RE: Bulb - this was on the Pentax Japan site:
QuoteQuote:
Bulb timer function
A handy tool in bulb shooting
The bulb timer function comes in handy when photographing celestial bodies or fireworks. The PENTAX K-70 allows you to set an exposure time of 10 seconds to five minutes in 10-second steps, or five to 20 minutes with one-minute steps.
Isn't there some limitation to the KS-2 vs. K-50 in interval mode? I don't recall it now.
06-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

RE: Bulb - this was on the Pentax Japan site:
Nice explanation and seems both useful and convenient. Thanks!

QuoteQuote:
Isn't there some limitation to the KS-2 vs. K-50 in interval mode? I don't recall it now.
No, on the contrary, I believe that for things like interval composite and multi-exposure the K-S2 takes after the K-3. This means it will allow up to 2,000 (!) shots to be combined whereas the K-50 (and previous) cameras could only go up to nine exposures. For regular interval shooting the spec page for the K-50 reads:
QuoteQuote:
Interval Shooting: Shooting interval: 3 sec. to 24 hr., Number of shots: up to 999 images, Start Interval setting: immediately, from the set time
And the one for the K-S2 (which is, I think, identical to the K-70):
QuoteQuote:
Interval: 2s. to 24h./ Standby Interval: Min.・1s. to 24h., Number of shots: 2 to 2000 images, Start Interval: Now/Set Time
It's composition adjustment that is missing in the K-S2 and present in the K-50, and it appears to be also missing in the K-70, AFAICT.

Last edited by Doundounba; 06-10-2016 at 04:59 AM. Reason: typo
06-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Nice explanation and seems both useful and convenient. Thanks!

No, on the contrary, I believe that for things like interval composite and multi-exposure the K-S2 takes after the K-3. This means it will allow up to 2,000 (!) shots to be combined whereas the K-50 (and previous) cameras could only to up to nine exposures. For regular interval shooting the spec page for the K-50 reads:
And the one for the K-S2 (which is, I think, identical to the K-70):
It's composition adjustment that is missing in the K-S2 and present in the K-50, and it appears to be also missing in the K-70, AFAICT.
Thanks! That helped me also!
06-10-2016, 12:34 AM   #10

Original Poster
Just checked fromt he official PENTAX site:

Specifications | PENTAX K-70 | RICOH IMAGING

Fx2 button customizations on the K-70 are pretty limited, from my initial assessment, the most useful options are the - Change AF Area & electronic level.

Fx1 Button, Fx2 Button (One Push File Format, Wi-Fi, Outdoor View Setting, Night Vision LCD Display, Preview, Red, Electronic Level, Change AF Area)

what do you guys think of other customisation options for the Fx2 button.
06-10-2016, 05:57 AM   #11

Original Poster
Any chances that the K-70 will have the less noisy screw drive motor found in K-1, the K-S2 had the updated faster screw drive from K-3.
06-12-2016, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Camera stores in Tokyo now have non-functional models of the K-70 on display. I looked at the new model next to the K-S2, and the two are very similar, but there are a few small differences. For the most part you wouldn't notice the difference.

- The grip side of the K-70 is ever so slightly less squared off, so the camera is a little wider.
- The redesigned buttons are indeed easier to press because they are shaped to stick out a little more.
- The wi-fi button does not have the illumination to indicate that it can be used as a shutter release in "selfie mode".
- The top surface does not have the patterned inlaid panel that the K-S2 has. It means that the top surface is more like other cameras, and I think it looks more durable.
- The silver colour looks just like the K-3 prestige edition, quite dark with the Pentax lettering in black.
06-12-2016, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

The back button AF is in a much better position over the K-50. I would love for mine to be there. Looks much more user friendly.
06-12-2016, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Something you would never notice if you just looked at the K-70 is the new "accelerator unit"

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/323475-pentax-k-70-...ator-unit.html

I'm not sure we will have much understanding of this before the units start shipping and we start seeing results.
This is the kind of thing that could eventually show up in every new Pentax body and move each one "up a notch".