Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2016, 03:33 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by PixelPete Quote
I bought the K-70 and did a little investigation of the wired remote socket.

It is indeed a 3.5mm socket - the 4 pole type. I bought one in Maplin (UK) soldered some wires to it and did a little, careful, prodding. No, the camera didn't blow up or get bricked.

Pentax are being a little sneaky here, I think. The result is that connecting the wires together in combinations produces the desired result.

Please refer to the attached diagram.

Connecting A with B produces a shutter half-press.
Leaving these 2 connected, then connect C and a full shutter press takes place.

I say Pentax are being sneaky, because the outer ring is not used - only the 3 inner rings - the same connections as for the old 2.5mm plugs ...

I just need now to sort out the connections from my 3rd party intervalometer and I'll see if I can get it to work.

--
Pete
I'm confused! It seems that the CS310 remote release for the K70 is a 3.5mm 4 section device, but my copy of the K70 manual states that the microphone connection is via "Stereo mini plug (3.5mm)". Web searches define this unanimously (?) as a 3 section device.

Anyway, in ignorance I bought a standard 3 section 3.5mm male to 2.5mm female adapter and used this to connect my old/standard 2.5mm release cables to the K70. This arrangement works perfectly well to recognise part and full press operations as on my K10D and K3 II.

After reading the messages relating to this topic, I began to wonder if I was loosing the plot. I've just now re-checked that my solution does indeed work.

I did notice that the picture of the CS310 shows a moulded on RFI filter, so I provided similar protection by threading the adaptor cable twice through a small ferrite toroid.

01-02-2017, 02:00 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Yay! The slow boat from China finally arrived! The remote is of high quality, and is apparently distributed by JJC. Comes with a short cable and a longer extension cable (nice), and it works exactly like it's supposed to work. Great deal if you're not in a hurry.
Thanks for the link shiner. Received mine too (about 2 weeks waiting time, pretty fast from China to S'pore. Indeed a quality wired remote kit for the K70. Tested my K70 and it's working accordingly.
01-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #48

I tried the JJC S-PK1 recently, works flawlessly. And of course much cheaper than the official CS-310.
07-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #49

I bought one like that, but am not having any luck getting it to work. The K-70 seems to only recognize it as a mic.

Here's the one I bought to use with a Bower LCD remote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T0ROWE4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?t...&ie=UTF8&psc=1

07-22-2017, 12:45 AM   #50

Cable Release for Pentax K70

Before considering the cable release, a couple of points wrt K70 and K3ii:

I have a Pentax K70 and a Pentax K3ii. IMHO, they are both fine cameras, but in different ways.

The K3ii provides a conventional user interface with the usual input/output connections and seems to have a quicker startup period after first pressing the shutter release button than does the K70. The K70 has some good features, particularly when used in idiot/auto modes. I suggest the the K70 is good for quick and easy use via a small carry bag on a walk, eg with the 16 to 85mm zoom and 55 to 300mm zoom.

My K3ii often sits on the back of a 150-450mm Pentax zoom lens – fantastic!

WRT the mic/cable release socket on the K70:
I reported on this some time ago.
After looking at images of the CS-310 Pentax adapter, I concluded that it was worth trying out a standard 3 terminal 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor. This allowed me to use a normal 3.5mm release cable on the K70 without any problems at all. The two stage operation of start up and then exposure works correctly. I did not use a 4 terminal adaptor.

The CS-310 appears to include a ferrite RF fillter ring. Perhaps this is to prevent external RF pulses/interference from effecting the electronics of the K70. I don’t know the internal circuitry of the K70, but to prevent this from happening, I wound a couple of turns of my 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor cable through a small ferrite toroid. The result has been a very reliable adaptor.

I agree with others that Pentax are wrong in insisting that the CS-310 is the only way to use conventional 3.5mm release cables with K70.

Regards
07-22-2017, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #51

Interesting that Ricoh should put a choke on the cable. Perhaps to filter out an obnoxious RF/EMF hum should you switch to video recording while the remote is plugged in.
01-07-2018, 06:48 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw a link to this in an another thread.

For those who have cactus triggers Cactus does make a cable that works: it is not advertised as such, but it just tried it out and the KP recognizes it a shutter release teh KP uses the same connector for the wired remotes as the K-70. I had purchased it in a package of cables from Cactus. Mine was bought a few years ago, and i found this at B&H, which looks like what i bought; Cactus Straight Cord Sync Cable Package CACA10 B&H Photo Video. I do not see the package currently advertised on the Cactus web site though.

11-10-2018, 06:39 PM - 2 Likes   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Interesting that Ricoh should put a choke on the cable. Perhaps to filter out an obnoxious RF/EMF hum should you switch to video recording while the remote is plugged in.
Having been through the EMC certification process for other products, my guess is that the remote lead forms an antenna and they failed the radiated emissions tests without the choke. They would then have to state that users must only use the remote with the choke on it to be able to declare that the product meets the EMC/EMI standards.

If you look at it that way, Ricoh are suddenly completely logical in their behaviour.

Having said all that. You're not going to stop some guy's pacemaker by using an off-brand remote. So I wouldnt worry about it.
12-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by koekie Quote
I tried the JJC S-PK1 recently, works flawlessly. And of course much cheaper than the official CS-310.
I just bought that too and I agree with your assessment. It works flawlessly and it is a fraction the price of the official Pentax item.
01-07-2019, 11:26 PM   #55
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I picked this up from Jaycar in Adelaide (Australia), it fits on the end of my JJC remote for my K200d.

Part number is PA3536 at Jaycar
3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2.5mm Stereo Socket | Jaycar Electronics

Works a treat, and gives me the Auto focus option through the unit if I disable back button focussing option (AE/AF lock)

hope this helps

Greg