Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
About the wired remote control.

I see that Pentax uses the stereo microphone port also for the wired remote. Since they have introduced a new wired controller (CS-310 cable switch), I wonder if we will be able to use the old controllers that we have. What worries me is that I won't be able to use a wireless RF controller that I currently use with my K3. If old controllers don't work with the K70, it would be enough for me mot to buy it. I also have a Wireless RF Intervalometer that I use with my K3 that maybe wouldn't work with the K70. I haven't found this info anywhere, maybe someone did? I know that I can use Wifi and already do it with my K3 (fluecard) but I find that very touch and go in current use and I can't always rely on that. Frankly, I wonder if buying the K70 would be a good idea since I already have a K3. I think I'll wait for the K3 II replacement to see what it has to offer.

06-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
I haven't found this info anywhere, maybe someone did?
I suspect that the only functional difference would be the plug used (3.5mm TRS vs. 2.5mm TRS?). Once the unit becomes available, it should not be too difficult to determine how to adapt your existing triggers to use either or both systems.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-12-2016 at 07:13 PM.
06-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I see that Pentax uses the stereo microphone port also for the wired remote. Since they have introduced a new wired controller (CS-310 cable switch), I wonder if we will be able to use the old controllers that we have. What worries me is that I won't be able to use a wireless RF controller that I currently use with my K3. If old controllers don't work with the K70, it would be enough for me mot to buy it. I also have a Wireless RF Intervalometer that I use with my K3 that maybe wouldn't work with the K70. I haven't found this info anywhere, maybe someone did? I know that I can use Wifi and already do it with my K3 (fluecard) but I find that very touch and go in current use and I can't always rely on that. Frankly, I wonder if buying the K70 would be a good idea since I already have a K3. I think I'll wait for the K3 II replacement to see what it has to offer.
According to the manual, the CS-310 is the only remote that can be used, and it explicitly states that others will not work. That said, a little testing will be in order once the camera is released. You never know.

Regardless, I wouldn't look at the K-70 as a replacement for your K-3, though its price might otherwise seem attractive. I'm sure the next APS-C flagship will be even more compelling.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
According to the manual, the CS-310 is the only remote that can be used, and it explicitly states that others will not work.
You have a K-70 manual? I did not know it was out yet.

Steve

06-12-2016, 11:41 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You have a K-70 manual? I did not know it was out yet.

Steve
Here you go: a member posted it a few days ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5gan1ckmaxrb6c/K-70_Operating_Manual_ENG_web.pdf?dl=0

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-12-2016, 11:45 PM   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
This is in the Pentax accessory database.

Description:
The Pentax CS-310 is the only cable release supported by the Pentax K-70. This accessory will not work with any other Pentax model.

The CS-310 connects to the camera's microphone port. It features a shutter release button with a half-press setting to activate AF/metering, and a HOLD button for long exposures in Bulb mode.

Read more at: Pentax CS-310 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
06-13-2016, 02:47 AM   #7

So disappointing. First, you can't use an AA battery adapter like on the K-50. Now, you can't use your wired remote. I think I'll be skipping this upgrade.

06-13-2016, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
So disappointing. First, you can't use an AA battery adapter like on the K-50. Now, you can't use your wired remote. I think I'll be skipping this upgrade.
Quite possibly, no new camera from any company will ever use AA batteries {without a add-on grip} or your old wired remote.
I hope you enjoy living in 2013.
06-13-2016, 08:13 AM   #9

What worries me is that I won't be able to use a wireless RF controller that I currently use with my K3. If old controllers don't work with the K70, it would be enough for me mot to buy it. I also have a Wireless RF Intervalometer that I use with my K3 that maybe wouldn't work with the K70. I haven't found this info anywhere, maybe someone did?
According to the manual Adam linked the K-70 has an IR port for wireless remotes. Page 67 and 68 go over the operation. "Point the remote control unit towards the remote control receiver on the front of the camera, and press the shutter release button on the remote control unit."

The O-RC1 controller is mentioned.

The CS-310 looks like it is using a 4 conductor 3.5mm plug - commonly used with camcorders. It will probably take someone 30 seconds to reverse engineer the pin-out signals design a 3 conductor to 4 conductor adapter or DIY controller.
09-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It will probably take someone 30 seconds to reverse engineer the pin-out signals design a 3 conductor to 4 conductor adapter or DIY controller.
It will take someone buying a CS-310 and mapping the pin-out and voltages. Any volunteers?

Steve
09-01-2016, 11:46 PM   #11

I was kind of concerned about the problems with intervalometers too having accidentally/deliberately bought a ks2 and finding out too late that you couldn't use a remote with it. The silver lining was that it finally led me to understand the built in composite modes and now I don't feel I will ever need an external remote again. Have you looked at these modes? I now have the k70 and love the interval composite modes for LE work.

09-02-2016, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

The composite modes on the K-70 are great. To a large degree they can replace both intervalometrs and extreme ND filters.
I do hope someone publishes a pinout for the remote soon though as I miss messing about with DIY triggers
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
09-20-2016, 11:51 AM - 7 Likes   #13

K-70 wired remote pinout

I bought the K-70 and did a little investigation of the wired remote socket.

It is indeed a 3.5mm socket - the 4 pole type. I bought one in Maplin (UK) soldered some wires to it and did a little, careful, prodding. No, the camera didn't blow up or get bricked.

Pentax are being a little sneaky here, I think. The result is that connecting the wires together in combinations produces the desired result.

Please refer to the attached diagram.

Connecting A with B produces a shutter half-press.
Leaving these 2 connected, then connect C and a full shutter press takes place.

I say Pentax are being sneaky, because the outer ring is not used - only the 3 inner rings - the same connections as for the old 2.5mm plugs ...

I just need now to sort out the connections from my 3rd party intervalometer and I'll see if I can get it to work.

--
Pete
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
09-20-2016, 04:28 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for doing the work on this. What you found is what I suspected would be the case. Good work!!

Steve
09-20-2016, 07:19 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by scottmasterton Quote
I was kind of concerned about the problems with intervalometers too having accidentally/deliberately bought a ks2 and finding out too late that you couldn't use a remote with it. The silver lining was that it finally led me to understand the built in composite modes and now I don't feel I will ever need an external remote again. Have you looked at these modes? I now have the k70 and love the interval composite modes for LE work.
Can you give more detail on what you are doing with the composite mode that eliminates the needs for a remote? I looked in the K-70 manual, but it is a bit confusing.