Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2016, 04:04 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does a 3-pole plug fit into the 4-pole socket without issues?

10-31-2016, 04:16 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
In this case, apparently yes, though a full test would be to use the remote to start/stop video where the mic (leftmost pole) would potentially be active.

Steve
10-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I assume there would be a small air gap around the 4th pole (the sleeve) when using a 3-pole plug so no contact would be made, excessive 'wiggling' of the plug might be an issue though.
11-17-2016, 02:40 AM - 2 Likes   #34

Yes, I have tried and it works.

I have a remote control which works with the K3, and it turns out to be using a male 2.5mm to male 3.5mm audio cable cord to connect the camera and controller. Previously, I have bought a male to male 3.5mm audio cable cord to connect my iphone with the card audio system. So I tried to use the cable cord to replace the one used in the remote controller, and it works well.

So, if you have an old wired remote control, you can change it to a K70 compatible one by 2.5mm Female To 3.5mm Male audio adapter.

11-17-2016, 02:49 AM   #35

Actually my 3.5mm 3 pole male to 3.5mm 3 pole male cable cord works. I assume a 2.5mm 3 pole to 3.5mm 3 pole male adapter should also work.
11-17-2016, 09:01 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by irwinscb Quote
Yes, I have tried and it works.

I have a remote control which works with the K3, and it turns out to be using a male 2.5mm to male 3.5mm audio cable cord to connect the camera and controller. Previously, I have bought a male to male 3.5mm audio cable cord to connect my iphone with the card audio system. So I tried to use the cable cord to replace the one used in the remote controller, and it works well.

So, if you have an old wired remote control, you can change it to a K70 compatible one by 2.5mm Female To 3.5mm Male audio adapter.
This is good to know as I have one of the generic Chinese remotes for my K-30.
11-28-2016, 12:13 AM   #37
Pentaxian

It looks as though Ricoh/Pentax removed the K-70 wired remote from its website (US) entirely! What could possibly be the issue with having it produced??

EDIT: I found this, will order one and see what happens.

Last edited by shiner; 11-28-2016 at 12:27 AM.
12-05-2016, 06:32 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Have you tried the JJC remote yet Shiner? I'm interested in getting one too seeing as my K-70 arrived today but I thought I'd check with you before pulling the trigger on it.
12-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
It looks as though Ricoh/Pentax removed the K-70 wired remote from its website (US) entirely! What could possibly be the issue with having it produced??

EDIT: I found this, will order one and see what happens.
The US webstore has been a mess since the redesigned it. Pages and links often disappear for no reason such as the Advantage Program for the 645Z. They may have removed the item simply because it is out of stock. But there are many items that used to be listed that no longer are such as viewscreens, the eyepiece shutter and magnifier.

Adorama appears to have the remote in stock. They ship to Canada.
Pentax Cable Switch CS-310 (3.5') for K70 Digital SLR
12-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Have you tried the JJC remote yet Shiner? I'm interested in getting one too seeing as my K-70 arrived today but I thought I'd check with you before pulling the trigger on it.
Wow, I forgot about it! Hmm, tracking # created, but not received at Brooklin USPS, as of yet
12-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Thanks shiner, I will be interested in how it turns out.

I was just poking around on Amazon Canada and came across something that may well work too. It appears that the Xbox One uses a 4-way connector too and there are adapters out there that will convert a 2.5mm 3-way male plug into a 3.5mm 4-way male plug specifically marketed at the Xbox One crowd. Here's one I found: https://www.amazon.ca/HDE-Adapter-Female-Angled-Headset/dp/B01DPQ6AP4/ref=sr...+Adapter+Cable

If that works then I will be able to use my existing cable remote from my K-30, although the reviews don't seem too promising.
12-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Thanks shiner, I will be interested in how it turns out.

I was just poking around on Amazon Canada and came across something that may well work too. It appears that the Xbox One uses a 4-way connector too and there are adapters out there that will convert a 2.5mm 3-way male plug into a 3.5mm 4-way male plug specifically marketed at the Xbox One crowd. Here's one I found: https://www.amazon.ca/HDE-Adapter-Female-Angled-Headset/dp/B01DPQ6AP4/ref=sr...+Adapter+Cable

If that works then I will be able to use my existing cable remote from my K-30, although the reviews don't seem too promising.
Yay! The slow boat from China finally arrived! The remote is of high quality, and is apparently distributed by JJC. Comes with a short cable and a longer extension cable (nice), and it works exactly like it's supposed to work. Great deal if you're not in a hurry.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-20-2016, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting that shiner. In the end I went with a JJC version that arrived today. Once I got the camera set up correctly it works fine. At first I couldn't get it to auto-focus but then finally remembered that I had switched to back button focusing. Once I went back to half-shutter press everything worked as it should. One thing I like about the JJC MA-PK1 is the 90° angle on the plug. Hopefully there will be less strain on the connection with that plug.

Here's the one I got and at the price I really can't complain: JJC MA-PK1 Remote Shutter for Pentax K-70, replaces PENTAX CS-310 | eBay
12-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Thanks for posting that shiner. In the end I went with a JJC version that arrived today. Once I got the camera set up correctly it works fine. At first I couldn't get it to auto-focus but then finally remembered that I had switched to back button focusing. Once I went back to half-shutter press everything worked as it should. One thing I like about the JJC MA-PK1 is the 90° angle on the plug. Hopefully there will be less strain on the connection with that plug.

Here's the one I got and at the price I really can't complain: JJC MA-PK1 Remote Shutter for Pentax K-70, replaces PENTAX CS-310 | eBay
Oh, nice! Wish I'd found that one. Either one is vastly cheaper than the one that Ricoh never supplied.
12-23-2016, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Oh, nice! Wish I'd found that one. Either one is vastly cheaper than the one that Ricoh never supplied.
Finally found something good about living in China...