Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2016, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-70 preview with high ISO images (Japanese)

The camera store Yaotomi in Osaka has posted a preview of the K-70 with a number of full size images at ISO 1600 and ISO 3200. It is of course in Japanese, but the images will speak for themselves. The photos with a small thumbnail beside them can be viewed at full resolution by clicking the smaller image.

?????? PENTAX K-70 ??????? ? ??? ??? 2016 - ????

I think it looks pretty good, retaining colour accuracy and detail even at the high ISOs.

07-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

iso 6400
07-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Im unable to understand japanese, can anybody say is they are SOOC images, or RAWs without noise reduction of with noise reduction reading the text?
07-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Im unable to understand japanese, can anybody say is they are SOOC images, or RAWs without noise reduction of with noise reduction reading the text?
Note sure if they are or not, however, at iso 6400 and image that size and that clean and sharp is impressive regardless of the post processing. Seems like it will rival the K-3(II). Also, considering the price point, this camera is looking like it may be one of the best out there for low light.

07-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

As far as I can read, it looks like these pictures are OOC jpegs. The person is talking about trying to test slightly higher ISOs. I think they're taken with the default settings, which will more than likely have some kind of NR. They look pretty good to me.
07-19-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Good Read:
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie...nwTu3lc_mrco9w
07-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link, but as a native spanish speaker i know too many things are lost in translation, and Japanese translate into english (poorly made as i read from japanese speakers here) and while i try to re-translate again into spanish in my mind, the result can be too confusing or without any sense of the original writer to take them into account.

07-19-2016, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

^ It's like me! Whenever I speak Spanish, I think in English y lo digo en espanol y despues se pierde in the translation at times. Hahaha! Not only that, then the Japanese comes in & I'm like, "日本語ちょっとしかわかりません。" Ha!
07-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #9
Imp
Pentaxian

Thanks for the link, but as a native spanish speaker i know too many things are lost in translation, and Japanese translate into english (poorly made as i read from japanese speakers here) and while i try to re-translate again into spanish in my mind, the result can be too confusing or without any sense of the original writer to take them into account.
Mainly i'm enjoying the pictures

It doesn't add much new, just says the camera adds 1)higher iso 2) live view AF 3) e-kmount and electronic "throttle" control, by which I assume they mean aperture
They confirm the July 22nd release, and they seem sad that the days of custom colored dslrs are over for Pentax.
Also the 4.5 stops of SR, up from 3.5 - It is basically covering all the features of the K-70 without telling us what we really want to know, which is about the Accelerator Unit. TELL US ALREADY!!!
07-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It is clear from zooming in that they have had a noise reduction algorithm applied.

Anyways, it's hard to tell whether this camera is any better at noise than other cameras, even if the low ISO performance is impressive. Shots at 6400 from my K-50 also look pretty clean, especially with sufficient lighting.
07-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote

Anyways, it's hard to tell whether this camera is any better at noise than other cameras, even if the low ISO performance is impressive. Shots at 6400 from my K-50 also look pretty clean, especially with sufficient lighting.
Agree. I expect the higher quality raw file will allow more post processing abuse, and that's likely to improve the end result more than the incremental sensor improvement.

Sensors are all pretty darn good these days if we're honest. Have been for quite some time really as the cmos tech has matured. The k-5 still holds its own today, many years later for example.
07-20-2016, 12:53 AM   #12
Forum Member

Pretty impressive considering the lens is the 18-135 which is not the natural choice for low light shooting. A significant improvement on what I would expect using my K30 with the same lens.
07-20-2016, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #13
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A magazine was published today with a comparison of current Pentax DSLRs with a number of crops to illustrate the relative performance. I'm pretty sure they used JPEGs, but this was Pentax JPEGs versus Pentax JPEGs, so I think it is a reasonable fair comparison.

It was pretty clear that the K-70's performance is significant better than the K-3 II and in the samples it looked closer to the K-1. There was one test where the reviewer even said the K-70 outperformed the K-1, which was the pixel shift test. I think it is going to surprise a lot of people.
07-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by planteater Quote
Pretty impressive considering the lens is the 18-135 which is not the natural choice for low light shooting. A significant improvement on what I would expect using my K30 with the same lens.
Which lens would you consider to be "the natural choice"?
07-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #15
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Which lens would you consider to be "the natural choice"?
I don't think planteater's point is that there is a "natural choice", but rather that the 18-135 would not be the "natural choice" to go out and shoot low-light photography.

Pretty much anything faster.