Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2016, 04:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Silver finish durability?

I have never owned a silver Pentax DSLR and wondered how the finish holds up over time..I'm rough on my cameras. Any experiences?

Also are there any good quality aftermarket batteries for the K-70? I only have Pentax batteries for my K-5 IIs but would consider some cheaper alternatives should I get a K-70 for work.

TIA

Eric

07-22-2016, 05:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since the K-70 is not actually out yet it is hard to say, but I would guess the has some type of a silver coating since it is not aluminum. My red K-50 has a couple of tiny places where the red has worn away, only noticeable on close inspection.
Since Pentax has been using this same battery since the Kr, there are lots of aftermarket batteries available. I have a Pearstone from B&H that was good for about three years before starting to wear out. I don't recommend Power 2000, they don't last as long as the original. Hopefully you'll get some more responses here because there are so many brands, and prices are all over. I wish the K-70 could use the AAs, but that space must have been taken for something else.
07-22-2016, 06:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had a white K-x and then a white K-30 that saw a ton of use, but the paint has never worn anywhere that I noticed. I supposed it could probably be gouged, but as far as just wearing away from lots of use or getting easily scratched, I've never had any problems with that.
07-22-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

it really depends. I'd say under general use the silver finishes look less worn than their black counterparts. But I've seen many old FA silver lenses that don't wear well. I imagine they're using better coating now than back then

07-22-2016, 08:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

On the Batteries I never use PENTAX Branded ones. I have Used DSTE that are very inexpensive and never really had a problem. So......do as You wish....But for me its DSTE All the way !
09-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Is it painted or is the plastic silver all the way through?
09-21-2016, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
Is it painted or is the plastic silver all the way through?
Paint

09-21-2016, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
Paint
That definitely won't last as well then (not that it's not good enough),
you can scratch black plastic and it'll still look like black plastic, but if you scratch paint whatever is under it will show through.
09-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you can scratch black plastic and it'll still look like black plastic, but if you scratch paint whatever is under it will show through.
Even my metal Super Program had areas where paint was worn off. I can live with that. I like the silver / black combination much much more than the T-90 stealth look that has become so routine.

09-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Aren't the limited lenses painted? I think in general nothing is going to look good scratched. Anyway, my white K-x and K-30 were both painted, and I never had any problems even after years of extensive use. Probably not something to really worry about.
09-22-2016, 12:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I wanted the silver to wear off my MX-1 to reveal the brass. No such luck.
Some folks took to theirs with fine wirewool.. lol
09-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My red K-30 has been through some stuff (including a deep gouge in the LCD) and has some chipped paint to prove it. My white K-x is doing just fine, basically spotless. YMMV.
08-12-2017, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #13

Looks like an old thread, but for those considering the K-70, I've had my gray model about 6 months and the finish seems quite durable. I have to say though that I regret not going with black. The gray is kind of a dark, warm gray that just looks kind of weird. Doesn't really "go" with anything in a normal photography kit, which is mostly black. A neutral black or silver would play better with black. Also it doesn't have that cool speckled texture that seems to be a classic slr trait.
08-12-2017, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tinylights Quote
have to say though that I regret not going with black. The gray is kind of a dark, warm gray that just looks kind of weird. Doesn't really "go" with anything in a normal photography kit, which is mostly black. A neutral black or silver would play better with black
I've never seen the gray K-70 in person, but that's kind of the impression I got looking at pictures. The color just seemed a bit off. I enjoy non-black cameras, as my K-x and my K-30 were white, and my m43 cameras have mostly been the classic silver/black models, but I think I'll just go with black if/when I get a K-70.
08-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #15

"Off" is a good description. Those white K-30s and K-50s do look cool (from photos at least, never held one), I'd probably have gone with that if it were available. The nice thing about black is that you know what you're getting even if you can't get your hands on one in the store (which for Pentax is apparently just about always).

Seems kind of foolish thinking so much about equipment aesthetics, but on the other hand this photography thing is all about making things that are pleasing to the eye, right?!

---------- Post added 08-12-17 at 10:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I've never seen the gray K-70 in person, but that's kind of the impression I got looking at pictures. The color just seemed a bit off. I enjoy non-black cameras, as my K-x and my K-30 were white, and my m43 cameras have mostly been the classic silver/black models, but I think I'll just go with black if/when I get a K-70.
Oh and if you do pick up a K-70, don't worry, you can disable that glowing ring around the shutter release button. Unless you're into that kind of thing. I was panicked for about 5 minutes before I discovered I could turn it off.