Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2016, 09:59 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Forum Member

VERY low light K-70 pic

Lots of interest in the low light performance of the K-70 so here's a quick, opportunistic snap from last night with a 100mm WR macro

Handheld 1/6s, F2.8, 1SO 102400!

I can't stress how dark this was. I could see something moving and could tell it was a badger and not a fox but that's all. Focusing was 'random manual' mode - lots of shots with minor adjustments. I didn't want to scare the critter with the focus assist lamp (which seems very bright compared to K30).

The image is as soft and grainy as would be expected but I'm amazed it picked out the colours at all. To the unaided eye this was 'rods only' night vision. The little light there was came from an LED streetlamp some distance away.

Attached Images

Last edited by planteater; 08-05-2016 at 10:08 AM.
08-05-2016, 10:08 AM - 2 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"... if we built a large wooden badger..."

amazing ISO performance!
08-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

For ISO 102,400, that is *remarkably* good. I assume that's straight out of camera? With RAW capture, Lightroom would be able to remove that green and magenta chroma noise in the badger's fur. Random focus issues aside, that would then be an amazing result and perfectly usable for small images!

EDIT: If you get a chance, I'd love to see some lowish-light images with shadow areas, taken around ISO 12,800 - 25,600...
08-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Truly impressive to focus and capture in such low light. Also interesting to hear about the
QuoteOriginally posted by planteater Quote
'random manual' mode
focusing, as it wasn't a feature I'd heard of yet.

08-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Also interesting to hear about the focusing, as it wasn't a feature I'd heard of yet.
I think that's just manual mode with a the photographer making lens adjustments as they shoot - unless I'm mistaken
08-05-2016, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think that's just manual mode with a the photographer making lens adjustments as they shoot - unless I'm mistaken
Yep, exactly that. Basically, I couldn't see what I was doing. Too dark to see anything through the OVF and LV was just a mush of static. The distance scale on the lens is not much use at around 4m either.

Weirdly, it's not obvious from the picture where the focus point is. In daylight that lens would give a narrow DOF at F2.8 which would be clearly visible on the Astroturf. This looks more like a high F number that is diffraction limited. I guess things work differently at ultra low light levels.

Yes, this was jpeg straight out of the camera. I'm kicking myself for not pulling a RAW from the buffer :-(
08-05-2016, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And here I'd thought they'd added some magic pixie dust for those cases where the camera can't seem to focus on anything or when the photographer can't hold still and is trying to shoot a 1:1 macro handheld using natural light (my usual protocol)

08-05-2016, 11:08 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
"... if we built a large wooden badger..."

amazing ISO performance!
Runaway!

08-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Weirdly, it's not obvious from the picture where the focus point is.
Looks to me like it's just on the leading edge of that patch of turf in front of the badger?

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
And here I'd thought they'd added some magic pixie dust for those cases where the camera can't seem to focus on anything or when the photographer can't hold still and is trying to shoot a 1:1 macro handheld using natural light (my usual protocol)
That's one for the K-70II
08-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Looks to me like it's just on the leading edge of that patch of turf in front of the badger?
You're right but I do feel the DOF is somehow deeper than I would expect in bright light.
It does make me think that if I'd nailed the focus and shot RAW this pic could have been pretty decent for web use. Thinking about the owls that sometimes visit........
08-05-2016, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You're right but I do feel the DOF is somehow deeper than I would expect in bright light.
It does make me think that if I'd nailed the focus and shot RAW this pic could have been pretty decent for web use. Thinking about the owls that sometimes visit........
Difficult to tell on the DOF, I think. The JPEG engine sharpening can make slightly blurred areas look a little more "in focus" than they really are...

I think your K-70 could be an asset for wildlife photography in medium to poor light. I'm impressed
08-06-2016, 02:23 AM   #12

Lots of interest in the low light performance of the K-70 so here's a quick, opportunistic snap from last night with a 100mm WR macro

Handheld 1/6s, F2.8, 1SO 102400!

I can't stress how dark this was. I could see something moving and could tell it was a badger and not a fox but that's all. Focusing was 'random manual' mode - lots of shots with minor adjustments. I didn't want to scare the critter with the focus assist lamp (which seems very bright compared to K30).

The image is as soft and grainy as would be expected but I'm amazed it picked out the colours at all. To the unaided eye this was 'rods only' night vision. The little light there was came from an LED streetlamp some distance away.
wow, this is really impressive.... will make ISO 12800, & 25600 that much usable.

Also how is the Live view AF?? lot of people are concerned about it is performance.

You can take the A6300 or 80D or 70D as a reference camera.
08-06-2016, 09:48 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wow

MANY thanks for that picture!

I think the focus point is on the grass just in front of the badger. The little plant with a yellow flower between the grass and the badger seems a little out of focus.

I am impressed and hungry of other low light pictures.

---------- Post added 06-08-16 at 19:08 ----------

Maybe if you wish you could post a couple of pictures of the same subject in the same light conditions, the first one at 100 ISO and the second one at 25600 or whatever ISO.
08-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cartesio Quote

Maybe if you wish you could post a couple of pictures of the same subject in the same light conditions, the first one at 100 ISO and the second one at 25600 or whatever ISO.
I'll try and post some less extreme examples of the K-70 in low light conditions.

If my calculations are correct it would take a 10 minute exposure give the equivalent exposure at ISO 100!

Last edited by planteater; 08-06-2016 at 11:56 AM.
08-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I did not think at getting the same amount of light at different ISOs, that would lead to a VERY long exposure.

I was thinking at taking the same picture with the same exposure time at different ISOs, say 1/100 at ISO 100, then 1/100 at ISO 25600.