Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2016, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Almada - Portugal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 159
Imaging Resource Pentax K-70 ISO samples

Pentax K-70 Review: Preview - Samples

08-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 753
I just post processed some ISO 12800, 25600, & 51200 RAW samples from the K-70 & K-3II in RawTherapee.

The K-70 seems to control false coloring a bit better, but the K-3II produces a finer sand like grain. You'll get better colors at the slight cost of fine detail with the K-70 or you'll get better detail out of the K-3II at the cost of false coloring with the K-3II. You give up one thing for another.

I'd set the ISO range from 100 to 25600 on the K-70 & manually shoot up to ISO 51200 in a pinch.

I'd set the ISO range from 100 to 12800 on the K-3II & manually shoot up to ISO 25600 in a pinch.

I think Pentax has a high ISO IQ winner here. Hopefully the next Pentax APS-C flagship does the same or slightly better. I want the build, speed, controls, & options of the flagship series.
08-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,118
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I'd set the ISO range from 100 to 12800 on the K-3II & manually shoot up to ISO 25600 in a pinch.
That's pretty much how I use the K-3 and K-3II, though I'm not too concerned about bumping up to 25,600 depending on the circumstances, as colour is still generally well-controlled. +25 colour and anything up to +15 luminance noise reduction allows for decent viewing sizes with nothing more than a bit of unobjectionable grain.

In a real pinch, even ISO 51,200 has it's uses, but you need to work harder in post-processing as colours become more problematic. Even so, you can get a usable image... the below test shot was taken just now on the K-3 at ISO 51,200 in my garage, with its dim lighting... even with some noise reduction it's grainy, but passable.

Apologies to the OP - this thread is about the K-70, which clearly has excellent, improved high ISO capability - but we shouldn't forget what the K-3 and K-3II are capable of...
Attached Images
 
08-09-2016, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,866
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's pretty much how I use the K-3 and K-3II, though I'm not too concerned about bumping up to 25,600 depending on the circumstances, as colour is still generally well-controlled. +25 colour and anything up to +15 luminance noise reduction allows for decent viewing sizes with nothing more than a bit of unobjectionable grain.

In a real pinch, even ISO 51,200 has it's uses, but you need to work harder in post-processing as colours become more problematic. Even so, you can get a usable image... the below test shot was taken just now on the K-3 at ISO 51,200 in my garage, with its dim lighting... even with some noise reduction it's grainy, but passable.

Apologies to the OP - this thread is about the K-70, which clearly has excellent, improved high ISO capability - but we shouldn't forget what the K-3 and K-3II are capable of...
And hopefully within the next month Pentax will announce a K-3iii which applies K-70 advances to the K-3ii
{I figure they're saving some kind of announcement for Photokina}

08-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,118
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
And hopefully within the next month Pentax will announce a K-3iii which applies K-70 advances to the K-3ii
That would be special
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-70, k70, pentax, pentax k-70, pentax k-70 iso, resource pentax k-70, samples
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comparison K-3 II vs Nikon D810 and Pentax 645Z by imaging Resource Cyril_K5 Pentax K-3 22 06-06-2015 03:51 PM
Imaging Resource update K-3 samples shots Belnan Pentax K-3 2 11-13-2013 08:46 PM
Imaging Resource K5II samples schufosi777 Pentax K-5 13 10-18-2012 01:06 PM
Nikon D600 RAW samples are up at Imaging Resource... JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 13 09-17-2012 04:51 AM
Kx image samples on Imaging-Resource - soon UnknownVT Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 11-17-2009 12:15 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top