Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dpreview K-70 Real-World Samples

Some more sample photographs.

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/8422466140/pentax-k-70-sample-gallery

08-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com

^ Nice pictures, but this should have gone into the K-70 forum.
08-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Moved

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #4

Hi all, just joined the forum because I have been itching to pull the trigger on this camera and have been hunting for ages but still no proper reviews! At last though some good quality images actually taken with the camera and I have got to say I am gob smacked at the High ISO stuff. My K5 would look an absolute mess ramped up as high as 12800 but out of the camera jpegs they are way ahead of anything else in this price range. I also think that it really does make the 18-135 look pretty good. Anybody on here actually have hands on yet? I have been trying to justify an extra 150 pounds on this v the KS2. Need the variable angle screen and the remote app for some of the work I do.

08-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by andyyoung101 Quote
Hi all, just joined the forum because I have been itching to pull the trigger on this camera and have been hunting for ages but still no proper reviews! At last though some good quality images actually taken with the camera and I have got to say I am gob smacked at the High ISO stuff. My K5 would look an absolute mess ramped up as high as 12800 but out of the camera jpegs they are way ahead of anything else in this price range. I also think that it really does make the 18-135 look pretty good. Anybody on here actually have hands on yet? I have been trying to justify an extra 150 pounds on this v the KS2. Need the variable angle screen and the remote app for some of the work I do.
There's no question that the K-70 is an amazing value for what it offers. I'm not sure the noise levels are lower than on the K-5, but it's certainly a step up thanks to the resolution, just like the K-3 was. That said, it's not a flagship line camera; the first impressions review below outlines the differences.

Pentax K-70 First Impressions Review - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-70 First Look: Sample Photos - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com

All in all the K-70 is very similar to the K-S2 and both cameras are equally capable for the most part. You do get better image quality (24Mp, 14-bit raw, available pixel shift) and continuous video AF from the K-70, and a more flexible menu system, but in most other areas the two are the same. If you're on a budget, getting the K-S2 will allow you to spend more on lenses. On the other hand, if you plan to stick to just the 18-135mm, go for the K-70.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #6

Thanks Adam, I think your probably right that the KS-2 would do just as well for the job in hand but as with all the new shiny toys they always like to tempt you with a bit of marketing hype about how you will need this or that new feature! I was in a shop today and the one thing about the KS-2 which was a little off putting was the build quality not being up to the k5's (to be expected of course) all the rubber doors on the external openings felt a bit flimsy but I know they have gone back to the slightly more conventional materials and design with the K70.
I have a couple of plastic fantastic primes but that extra 150 could go towards a first LTD oooooh dilema!!!
Thanks for the great forum by the way
08-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
then what's the accelerator unit for????

08-19-2016, 07:36 PM - 2 Likes   #8
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the concern is about the rubber doors on the K-S2, they are exactly the same on the K-70. I think what makes the K-70 feel more conventional is the detailing, but I don't think there is any durability difference between the cameras.

I don't know if this really holds up, but it always seems to me that to get the most out of the K-3, you really have to shoot in RAW. It looks to me like the K-70 does a better job with OOC JPEGs.

But now watch me being burned at the online stake for professing my JPEG-loving heresy!
08-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
But now watch me being burned at the online stake for professing my JPEG-loving heresy!
I shoot RAW+. I only process maybe 10% of my shots. For the rest in-camera jpeg is fine. I've been doing that since K-01.
08-20-2016, 12:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The samples are really good. High ISO shots seemed to have been handled well. I think my daughter will enjoy this as soon as I have the money.
08-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Nine responses and no one has said anything about DPR, so I will.
I am very glad that DPR has posted a generally positive article about a Pentax product!

---------- Post added 08-20-16 at 12:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
The samples are really good. High ISO shots seemed to have been handled well. I think my daughter will enjoy this as soon as I have the money.
I am sure I will enjoy this as soon as I have the money
{assuming they don't announce something even more tempting to me in the meantime}
08-21-2016, 04:54 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

I am sure I will enjoy this as soon as I have the money
{assuming they don't announce something even more tempting to me in the meantime}
Photokina coming up and 18 months? since the K3ii mmmmm.

An updated flagship APS-C with flippy screen and wifi would tempt me away from the K70. Sorry but for me the flippy screen and wifi are a deal breaker. It would be a minor miracle I think for Pentax to pull 3 new cameras out of the bag in such a short period of time?

Might have to wait a couple of months and by then the price on the K70 might have dropped a bit anyway.

+1 on DPR, good to see a lot of positive comments on there as well from Canikon owners praising the colours etc.
08-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by andyyoung101 Quote
Photokina coming up and 18 months? since the K3ii mmmmm.

An updated flagship APS-C with flippy screen and wifi would tempt me away from the K70. Sorry but for me the flippy screen and wifi are a deal breaker. It would be a minor miracle I think for Pentax to pull 3 new cameras out of the bag in such a short period of time?

Might have to wait a couple of months and by then the price on the K70 might have dropped a bit anyway.

+1 on DPR, good to see a lot of positive comments on there as well from Canikon owners praising the colours etc.
same here, flippy screen & wifi are a deal breaker for me. In fact a camera without some kind of articulation in it's screen is an incomplete camera, or people must have as flexible neck as a snake's body or that aliens from MIB2

still, even that would be inconvenient.
08-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I finally got around to playing with the ISO 6400 RAW sample of the cat in RawTherapee & compared the RawTherapee jpeg to the OOC jpeg from the camera. Pentax has really revamped their jpeg engine! There's really not much more fine detail to extract out of the high ISO RAW file than what's coming out of the OOC jpeg.The K-70's jpeg engine is actually quite impressive! All previous APS-C Pentax jpeg engines suck when it comes to anything past ISO 800.

Like when I compare a higher ISO OOC jpeg to a RawTherapee jpeg from my K-50, you can tell that there is a big difference between the camera's jpeg engine & what you get out of the RAW file.

It looks like Pentax has closed the gap on that difference with the K-70. Software makers will need to develop RAW editing software that can pull out far more detail. The future looks bright!

Now the only question remains is this: does the K-70 use the same aperture block that's in the K-30/50/S1/S2? Hmmmm........
08-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #15
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm confused. Is the accelerator only for SOOC jpeg processing, or does it help the Raw performance? Or is Raw performance merely Raw performance.