Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #16

I don't usually take much notice of DPR "real world" samples because you don't really know what was going on when taken and what the photographer was like. Too many variables and I've seen some awful shots taken with known brilliant cameras. So with that caveat I have to say the K70 images are the best I've ever seen on there! Especially the high ISO ones. Amazing!

08-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I'm confused. Is the accelerator only for SOOC jpeg processing, or does it help the Raw performance? Or is Raw performance merely Raw performance.
My guess is that it's being used to create really good OOC jpegs 'cause there isn't too much of a difference between the RAW jpegs that I'm getting out of RawTherapee when I compare them to the K-70 OOC jpegs. The RawTherapee jpegs edge out the OOC jpegs by a hair & this is when pixel peeping. The OOC jpegs look that good.

I'll put it like this, if I had a K-70, I'd still shoot RAW+JPEG. Why? So that I can archive the RAW files for future use. More than likely the OOC jpegs will be good enough for me about 98% of the time, but eventually software advances will probably be able to pull more detail out of the RAW files in the future.
08-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Now the only question remains is this: does the K-70 use the same aperture block that's in the K-30/50/S1/S2? Hmmmm........
That's why I cancelled my Pre-Order.......lost Two K-30's to it and its the ONLY reason I didn't go All-In on it............................ yet.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 08-24-2016 at 09:43 AM.
08-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #19
Pentaxian

^ My 2 K-50 bodies haven't experienced an aperture block fail yet, but that's always on the back of my mind. I really do enjoy using them, but autofocusing in low light is the only thing that kind of sucks on them.

Had I known that some K-30 & K-50 cameras had this issue prior to purchasing, I would have gotten the K-5IIs with an 18-55mm lens instead of the 2 K-50 bodies & 4 lenses when I was getting ready to replace my old Sony A200 DSLR. For about $150 extra, I jumped on the K-50 'cause it looked like a better deal at the time. Live & learn.

I finally got a chance to play around with a K-5IIs a few days ago & that one is a lot better at low light autofocusing than the K-50. It's almost leaps & bounds better. Makes me kind of angry that I didn't get that camera instead, but that's life. The K-70 is using the same AF as the K-5IIs, so it would be good enough for me, but I want to make sure that it's not using the same aperture block that the previous cameras have been using.

Outside of that, the K-70 looks like it's full of excellence & win! I'm also waiting to see what happens with the next APS-C flagship.

08-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #20

DPR have just put up their test scene comparison page - you can compare with up to 3 different cameras at various ISO's. Looking pretty good on the OOC JPG front. What is suprising is how much better it is compared to the KS2.

Pentax K-70 added to studio test scene: Digital Photography Review

---------- Post added 08-25-16 at 10:20 AM ----------

Not normally one to go for gimmicky new technologies etc and have been a bit dubious about the pixel shift tech but have been having a play on the DPR comparison which lets you swop to an image taken with pixel shift. There is an area with a 20 shilling note and some coins on top which when viewed with the pixel shift image shows a huge difference in the clarity. Specifically the canadian coin which when compared to the likes of the D500 or the Canon 80D looks like mush but on the K70 pixel shift image is super clear!
Maybe it is worth considering using it
12-28-2020, 06:41 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've owned a K70 for almost 4 years and I rarely use it at ISO greater than 6400
I shot this image at ISO 25600 and was impressed with the results
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-30-2020, 12:53 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The accelerator unit is not just for ooc JPEG but RAW as well:
Is this describing what the accelerator unit does? - PentaxForums.com

That's why some prefer the K1 over the K1II, the K1 does not have it.

About the solenoid:
The danger is now much less than it was with the K30, pre Dec.2015 manufactured K50/K-S1/K-S2:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com

and if ever the odds would be stuck against you and the solenoid of your K70 would fail, you could prepare by:
- paying with credit card and use it's protection
- paying a little extra for a 5 yr. warranty
- study if you would feel confident to the pretty easy DIY-repair:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

But I understand the TO very well concerning the way the K5 feels in one's hands, to me the K5-Series (and K7) was the best ever just for handling.
Also the direct access was almost as good as with the K10D and K20D.

With the battery-grip the K5-series felt utmost solid and well balanced like no other Pentax to me (I had the K3, K70 and have the KP but kept a K5II which will stay with me....). The K30/K50 I found second best but they missed important features which the KP does as well but then it has other features.

Because I just love the DA55-300PLM and at times just walk with it alone or a DA21 or DA15 in my pocket I'd chose the KP or K70 for a new body.

But I could live very well with the K5IIs and then shed a tear for not being able to use the PLM any more.

If the K5-series would have gotten the KAF4 firmware update, I would at times prefer the K5IIs over the K70 and KP because I know that except cropping I will get

as good quality photos with it than with the K5IIs (and partly K5II). So the K3 or K3II might be another option but it is that bit larger than the K5series but they accept KAF4/PLM.