Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #1

K 70 purchase advice

I currently own and use a Fuji X100 S with the 50mm accessory lens and love the camera, I also have a Ricoh GRII which is my hiking camera.

I used to have a Olympus E 510 which I used for photographing running events and my great granddaughters soccer games. I recently gave the E 510 and lenses to one of my granddaughters that has an interest in photography. I have been waiting to buy an replacement for the E 510 and am having difficulty making up my mind to go with a DSLR or another mirrorless camera.

If I go with a DSLR I am now interested in the K 70, it looks like a nice camera and would probably do the job for the soccer photos of my great granddaughter. I would also like to pursue some wildlife and macro opportunities. I am concerned about the heft and weight of a DSLR compared to a mirrorless, also not sure about just having only an optical viewfinder.

I probably would have bought a Fuji X2s but having a tilt or articulating lcd is a must for me.

Although I have enjoyed my fixed lens camera and I think I have 2 of the best out there, I am ready to take the plunge for a ILC again although I would most likely enjoy a nice zoom lens and maybe only change for a macro lens at times.

Thanks for taking the time to read all my babbling and I hope you can offer me some sound advice and tips although I realize the purchase decision is mine alone to make.

Last edited by jerrysdean43; 08-26-2016 at 10:36 AM.
08-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My thinking is you can never have too many camera body options. At least that's what I tell my wife. I use her shoe closet as an analogy when she asks for justification of a new camera
08-27-2016, 01:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd say go with the K-70, since it has the flippy tilty screen you need, its weather sealed which is good for those wildlife shots (well, pretty much all of Pentax's DSLR's are weathersealed to the hilt), and has 410 shots-per-charge (better than a majority of mirrorless cameras in the same price range and some higher end ones too).
08-27-2016, 02:09 AM   #4
Forum Member

As another hiker/wildlife enthusiast I regularly take my K-70 with 55-300 plus a compact camera (Canon G7X) on walks. It's a lightweight combination that works well for me - not much heavier than a superzoom bridge camera but more flexible and better quality images. The K-70 with your GRII would make a great hiking combo.

09-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerrysdean43 Quote
I currently own and use a Fuji X100 S with the 50mm accessory lens and love the camera, I also have a Ricoh GRII which is my hiking camera.

I used to have a Olympus E 510 which I used for photographing running events and my great granddaughters soccer games. I recently gave the E 510 and lenses to one of my granddaughters that has an interest in photography. I have been waiting to buy an replacement for the E 510 and am having difficulty making up my mind to go with a DSLR or another mirrorless camera.

If I go with a DSLR I am now interested in the K 70, it looks like a nice camera and would probably do the job for the soccer photos of my great granddaughter. I would also like to pursue some wildlife and macro opportunities. I am concerned about the heft and weight of a DSLR compared to a mirrorless, also not sure about just having only an optical viewfinder.

I probably would have bought a Fuji X2s but having a tilt or articulating lcd is a must for me.

Although I have enjoyed my fixed lens camera and I think I have 2 of the best out there, I am ready to take the plunge for a ILC again although I would most likely enjoy a nice zoom lens and maybe only change for a macro lens at times.

Thanks for taking the time to read all my babbling and I hope you can offer me some sound advice and tips although I realize the purchase decision is mine alone to make.
I think the K-70 would be a good option for you... I'm hoping to have some of my "first images" up on Flickr fairly soon... once I have a read through the manual and play with the buttons/menus a bit more...