Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by GalacticPhoto Quote
I am actually considering trading in my A7r for a K-70.

Currently I have:

A7r

Rokinon 14mm 2.8 (k mount)

Pentax 50mm 1.7

Minolta 50mm 1.7

Minolta 135mm 3.5

I've shot Canon, Pentax, Sony, Fuji, Nikon and keep wanting to go back to Pentax.

I am really not into the A7r even though the sensor is fantastic for a landscape photographer like me. However I don't like the form factor or battery life. I also don't like cleaning the sensor all the time or using a bunch of adapters. It's got a lot of benefits being mirrorless and I dig the EVF but I feel like I could leave this system and not be sad.

I am rather impressed with the noise on the K-70, I think it may be the best out of any crop sensor BEFORE even using PS! Since I do primarily landscape the PS could rival my A7r.

Downsides with Pentax is mostly in the glass selection, especially fast glass. I also need something wide to compare to the 14mm on FF. So that leaves me with options like the Sig 10-20 3.5 or 8-16, but I do Astro. In the past I have done the astro with the GPS and Rok 14mm 2.8, I am unsure how well the 8-16 being 4.5 would work comparing it, though it is wider so exposure could be longer.

My budget total to start over, keeping the Pentax 50mm would be about $1200. I could budget the K-70 and Sig 10-20.

The other option is to go with the K3 II and keep the Rok 14mm. I've shot with 14mm on crop before but prefer wider, though I'm content with 14mm also.

The plus side with the K3 II is that it would save me the necessary cost of the GPS and that it's a more professional camera, which I also prefer.

Thoughts?
how about tokina 11-16 f/2.8 or 11-20 f/2.8 with NIkon mount & nikon to Pentax adapter. Not sure if tokina makes lenses for Pentax anymore.

Could this be done?

08-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thoughts?
I'm currently using a K-30. I'm thinking of buying a K-70, but I'm not going to do anything until Photokina is past {about a month from now}. Pentax tends to be rather coy about their plans, so we don't really know what they might announce in the next few weeks; I'm going to wait until that time is past and I'm sure what the facts are for the next few months. I would suggest that you take a similar course.
08-27-2016, 09:44 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
& nikon to Pentax adapter.
Yeah, forget that one, Anu, you don't want to go there. 😀

08-28-2016, 12:43 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm currently using a K-30. I'm thinking of buying a K-70, but I'm not going to do anything until Photokina is past {about a month from now}. Pentax tends to be rather coy about their plans, so we don't really know what they might announce in the next few weeks; I'm going to wait until that time is past and I'm sure what the facts are for the next few months. I would suggest that you take a similar course.
I'd like to wait but I could also use the cash from "down grading" to fund another project I have going. I know also prices on new Pentax cameras usually go down fairly quickly a pretty good deal, except the K3 II which actually went up...

08-28-2016, 04:38 AM   #20

Currently I have:

A7r

Rokinon 14mm 2.8 (k mount)

Pentax 50mm 1.7

Minolta 50mm 1.7

Minolta 135mm 3.5

I've shot Canon, Pentax, Sony, Fuji, Nikon and keep wanting to go back to Pentax.

I am really not into the A7r even though the sensor is fantastic for a landscape photographer like me. However I don't like the form factor or battery life. I also don't like cleaning the sensor all the time or using a bunch of adapters. It's got a lot of benefits being mirrorless and I dig the EVF but I feel like I could leave this system and not be sad.

I am rather impressed with the noise on the K-70, I think it may be the best out of any crop sensor BEFORE even using PS! Since I do primarily landscape the PS could rival my A7r.

Downsides with Pentax is mostly in the glass selection, especially fast glass. I also need something wide to compare to the 14mm on FF. So that leaves me with options like the Sig 10-20 3.5 or 8-16, but I do Astro. In the past I have done the astro with the GPS and Rok 14mm 2.8, I am unsure how well the 8-16 being 4.5 would work comparing it, though it is wider so exposure could be longer.

My budget total to start over, keeping the Pentax 50mm would be about $1200. I could budget the K-70 and Sig 10-20.

The other option is to go with the K3 II and keep the Rok 14mm. I've shot with 14mm on crop before but prefer wider, though I'm content with 14mm also.

The plus side with the K3 II is that it would save me the necessary cost of the GPS and that it's a more professional camera, which I also prefer.

Thoughts?
Have you compared the K-70 with some of the full frames??

Just see how it compares with the Nikon D750 and Sony A7R, it almost blows all competition in the APS-C segment, at ISO 25600, It's pretty close to D750, and to be honest, I think the K-70 beats the A7R in ISO noise performance, especially in color noise.

This is huge in itself... Add to this the fact that it has pixel shift resolution, which improves ISO performance, Dynamic range and resolution even more.

Studio shot comparison

---------- Post added 08-28-16 at 04:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, forget that one, Anu, you don't want to go there. ��
why? is it that bad as an option?

Last edited by anu l; 08-28-2016 at 05:07 AM.
08-28-2016, 05:03 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Have you compared the K-70 with some of the full frames??

Just see how it compares with the Nikon D750 and Sony A7R, it almost blows all competition in the APS-C segment, at ISO 25600, It's pretty close to D750, and to be honest, I think the K-70 beats the A7R in ISO noise performance, especially in color noise.

This is huge in itself... Add to this the fact that it has pixel shift resolution, which improves ISO performance, Dynamic range and resolution even more.

Studio shot comparison

I have, it does well for a crop which is why I am considering it. The Jpgs look fairly worse than raw without PS on Dpreview so I am really curious what the raw PS look like. I don't agree that it beats the A7R in ISO noise performance, that would be a huge feat for a crop.

It's also very hard to judge comparisons when the lenses are different. Dpreview uses the Zeiss 55 for Sony which is maybe the best 1.8 lens out there, a fair bit better than the 50 1.4 Pentax.

At higher ISOs with PS & Jpg the images are becoming very soft. The K3 II also seems to be sharper at ISO 100 + PS + Jpg vs the K-70.

Last edited by GalacticPhoto; 08-28-2016 at 10:48 AM.
08-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's also very hard to judge comparisons when the lenses are different. Dpreview uses the Zeiss 55 for Sony which is maybe the best 1.8 lens out there, a fair bit better than the 50 1.4 Pentax.
Compare it to the Pentax DA* 55mm f1.4, it is closer. But the problem is that comparisons are practically impossible, because the tests are not measured in such a way that you could compare them. Different camera, different lens, and you can't make any real comparisons from those numbers alone. Better to compare actual results. Check out Flickr, 500px and other user galleries.
08-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Compare it to the Pentax DA* 55mm f1.4, it is closer. But the problem is that comparisons are practically impossible, because the tests are not measured in such a way that you could compare them. Different camera, different lens, and you can't make any real comparisons from those numbers alone. Better to compare actual results. Check out Flickr, 500px and other user galleries.
Sorry, I meant 55 1.4, not 50. You can compare camera to camera, it's just rather difficult. You have to look at a lot of things to get an overall idea.

08-28-2016, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

why? is it that bad as an option?
Yep. How would you change aperture without an aperture ring?

And more importantly, those adapters always have glass in them, ruining the picture quality.