Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 08:10 AM   #1

K-70 WI-FI remote experience

Here are some quick notes about my experience with using remote WI-FI control with the K-70.

Limitations/frustrations:
* shutter must be in single shot mode - no video, no multi-shots. Also significant lag taking a shot. Not helpful for fast moving things like hummingbirds.
* Doesn't seem to have option to change settings Wi-FI settings on camera such as channel number, password, SSID, etc. The K-70 seems fixed on channel 1, so I shifted channels of my WI-FI router to reduce interference.
* Mobile app will hang periodically or lose connection. Sometimes can just exit app and restart. If that didn't work, I had to use the task manager to kill the app and then start Image Sync again.

Observations:
* Can only connect to one device. Need to turn WI-FI off/on in camera to connect new device.
* Works with Image Sync mobile app (Android and iOS). For PC I found "Pentax K-S2 WIFI Remote" software 0.1.0.2 (open source windows only). This worked fine even though it is for K-S2.
* Problems saving RAW images to device. They are large and not supported on mobile devices.
* Seems to work better if you turn off live view (drain on batter), turn off rear display, and change focus to manual.
* Seems to work consistently for long time with external AC adapter.
* Seems to work more consistently with WI-FI range extender (set up old Asus WIFI router in repeater mode). Is this because the phone and camera both have weak transmitters? This also allows it to work on much more reasonable range.
* Live view will switch off after a while (prevents overheating, battery drain?).

My workflow before using WI-FI:
* Select user mode WIFI. It is set up with anti-shake off, in single shot mode, instant review is off.
* Push WIFI button to activate.
* Make sure mobile device is connected to the Pentax using WI-FI. Start Image Sync app and make sure it is connecting to camera.
* Focus camera and switch focus to manual. Had problems with focus moving when switching in and out of live view, etc.
* Make sure rear display is off (info/info/right/right)

08-31-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good info. I find that the wifi use of all cameras is a bit funky. Noting the experiences that you have found is useful to others.
08-31-2016, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Good idea saving the working settings as U3!
I find the auto focus via wifi extremely useful as it effectively gives touch screen focus selection. Really handy for wildllife traps. I can see myself using wifi much more than I thought I would.
08-31-2016, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #4

I know you are talking about K70, but my experience with the app on K-S2 and K1 is similar. I found that for iOS you need to connect to wifi, then start the app. For android, it's the other way round. Once connected, you can use the app to change SSID and password.

On android it failed to connect using the default SSID and password. I would then use my iPad to connect, change the SSID and password, disconnect, then connect to my android phone.

But selfies are different! Had bystanders apologising when they walked into the scene before they realised what I was doing.

09-02-2016, 05:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
I know you are talking about K70, but my experience with the app on K-S2 and K1 is similar. I found that for iOS you need to connect to wifi, then start the app. For android, it's the other way round. Once connected, you can use the app to change SSID and password.

On android it failed to connect using the default SSID and password. I would then use my iPad to connect, change the SSID and password, disconnect, then connect to my android phone.

But selfies are different! Had bystanders apologising when they walked into the scene before they realised what I was doing.
Thanks for the help. I eventually was able to use Image Sync to change the settings. The first couple of times I tried to change the settings, it would just pop up a message that "settings not saved." That was not at all helpful. Tried again with a simpler password (removed any special characters) and then the new settings were accepted.

Also I did find that the instructions for using the Image Sync app are in the K-70 user manual.
09-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by planteater Quote
Good idea saving the working settings as U3!
I find the auto focus via wifi extremely useful as it effectively gives touch screen focus selection. Really handy for wildllife traps. I can see myself using wifi much more than I thought I would.
I will try some more experimenting.

I had some trouble with the touch to focus at first. Mostly due to switching in an out of live view. When live view is off, the camera then will use the focal point set on the camera. So it shifts the focus point that was previously set in touch screen focus. And sometimes it seemed like the touch point on the screen was a bit off compared to where the camera actually focuses. But I had a complex scene and the hummingbirds are fast moving. Also can't use the mobile screen to confirm focus, because the image there is blurry compared to the captured images. Even pulling up the shot on the tablet, it is blurry compared to looking at it later on the computer.

Also Live view will switch itself off after a period of time. May be conserving battery and keeping sensor cool.
09-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I found the app to be extremely under developed. Crashed twice on me, very slow to work with, and I couldn't even find an option to save the password for connecting my K-1 to the app (and password can't be changed? Or it can?). Just kind of... underwhelming in 2016, you'd think they could come up with a simple interface that works, no need for eye candy. I used the Olympus app before to control the EM1, it wasn't a top-end UI design either, but, it worked, was quite stable, gave more features and settings, and remembered my camera, was just easier to work with. I guess 2 stars in Google Play store are well deserved) (although i'm lucky the app works on my phone at all, some comments there mention that app just doesn't work for them)

09-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I found the app to be extremely under developed. Crashed twice on me, very slow to work with, and I couldn't even find an option to save the password for connecting my K-1 to the app (and password can't be changed? Or it can?). Just kind of... underwhelming in 2016, you'd think they could come up with a simple interface that works, no need for eye candy. I used the Olympus app before to control the EM1, it wasn't a top-end UI design either, but, it worked, was quite stable, gave more features and settings, and remembered my camera, was just easier to work with. I guess 2 stars in Google Play store are well deserved) (although i'm lucky the app works on my phone at all, some comments there mention that app just doesn't work for them)
Panasonic has multiple apps in this space and it is confusing as to which works with what but with the GX7 I found most of it workable but I did run into a problem where the Android version was unreliable with NFC and Wifi enabled. (I had just used wifi with one phone and then tried to use NFC with another after powering off the camera and then powering it back on.) Eventually I had to disable NFC. My Samsung NX 300 works great via NFC but I've rarely used Wifi with it.

In any case, I think this area is a bit harder to code for than people realize. The early apps by other manufacturers were not all that great either.
09-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Panasonic has multiple apps in this space and it is confusing as to which works with what but with the GX7 I found most of it workable but I did run into a problem where the Android version was unreliable with NFC and Wifi enabled. (I had just used wifi with one phone and then tried to use NFC with another after powering off the camera and then powering it back on.) Eventually I had to disable NFC. My Samsung NX 300 works great via NFC but I've rarely used Wifi with it.

In any case, I think this area is a bit harder to code for than people realize. The early apps by other manufacturers were not all that great either.
I think they were not great (and continue to be so) because all of those companies are not software developers. Samsung's app (you're not the first person I hear good things about it) was good because Samsung does have quite a bit of experience developing apps. Seems the app for most of camera manufacturers is more of an after-thought. But after watching recent Tony Northrup video on this topic I tend to agree with him that maybe all these companies will need to step up their game a bit to compete at least on a consumer market (pro's will always use pro gear, so are the heavily invested enthusiasts I believe). Video I mentioned -
09-07-2016, 03:57 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Thanks to the suggestion of @timd, I was able to change the WIFI password using Image Sync App. Click on setup (the gear icon), then general settings and then communication settings. After entering the new values click save.

The first couple of times I tried to change the settings, it would just pop up a message that "settings not saved." That was not at all helpful. Tried again with a simpler password (removed any special characters) and then the new settings were accepted.

Overall my opinion of the app is similar to yours. I have been able to get it to work for periods of time using an external power adapter on the camera and a WIFI range extender to strengthen the signal. But even then, there are times the camera just stops communicating. Have to switch it off and then back on, Reenable WIFI, reconnect the WIFI on the tablet, kill the image sync app, and then restart it.

It does feel like it is a battle to get WIFI working and keep it working.
09-07-2016, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoNomad0 Quote
Thanks to the suggestion of @timd, I was able to change the WIFI password using Image Sync App. Click on setup (the gear icon), then general settings and then communication settings. After entering the new values click save.

The first couple of times I tried to change the settings, it would just pop up a message that "settings not saved." That was not at all helpful. Tried again with a simpler password (removed any special characters) and then the new settings were accepted.

Overall my opinion of the app is similar to yours. I have been able to get it to work for periods of time using an external power adapter on the camera and a WIFI range extender to strengthen the signal. But even then, there are times the camera just stops communicating. Have to switch it off and then back on, Reenable WIFI, reconnect the WIFI on the tablet, kill the image sync app, and then restart it.

It does feel like it is a battle to get WIFI working and keep it working.
From looking at Image Sync closely, I found that much of the app is the same web page code as the Flucard. I think only changes are to having wifi built into the devices.

It is a shame that Pentax (and other camera makers) don't get that the software they supply is a real issue with the users. PDCU is a very poor/terrible piece of software also. Are the Lightroom plug-in and the 645 program as poor? Other than the 645 program, the programs are free with updates. The software being listed as free shouldn't let Pentax off of the hook.

To me the software is an integral part of the camera which I paid for and the software should be held to the same standards as the cameras and lenses. The software should have a look and feel common to the cameras. Terminology should be the same. AMEN!

My opinion but I expect many agree. I have loudly voiced this to Pentax every way I know how and from the time of the K10d.

GRRRRRRRR!

RONC

Last edited by rechmbrs; 09-07-2016 at 05:12 AM.